Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dynamo magician

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
my wife doesn't really get illusions/tricks. Once a magician asked her to choose a card (she selected the Queen of Hearts) and then made that card fly around her head 3 times before catching it again.

'It's the same card' said my wife.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Who was that wally who's 'trick' was to sit in a glass box for a couple of weeks suspended over the Thames?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Who was that wally who's 'trick' was to sit in a glass box for a couple of weeks suspended over the Thames?

David Blaine. What made me LOL was that he did the trick in America to massive respect, when he did it in England loads of people LUZZED eggs at him.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Yes of course they are fake, but the problem is that the tv shows are edited and the real crowds are not all real. There are magicians that are so good with slight of hand etc that they don't need editing and stooges - obviously their tricks are not so elaborate though, you can't have it all. Personally I'd rather the simple tricks done well than something amazing that didn't even happen.

Interesting point this.

I've often wondered what the "rules" of magic are, because if you use stooges, trick camera work etc, it doesn't really reflect on the ability of the actual magician, but some of Dynamo's stuff is truly baffling and he is clearly a fantastic performer.

Don't get me wrong I love watching him. But is he really a magician? Or is he a performer?

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
This.

We had a couple of magicians at our Christmas party a few years ago and they were brilliant. One of them took a fiver off of my mate did a wavey hand thing, turned it into a £50 and somehow got it into my bloody wallet.

I'm still baffled by that.

You're lucky. My wife has an incredible knack to making bank notes disappear from my wallet.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
David Blaine. What made me LOL was that he did the trick in America to massive respect, when he did it in England loads of people LUZZED eggs at him.

Ah yes, that was him.

I also remember him arriving by Limo expecting the usual American style whooping as he got out the car.

Instead he was met with the typical British stony silence and an air of ''well hurry up and get in the box then mate'' feel to it all :lolol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Interesting point this.

I've often wondered what the "rules" of magic are, because if you use stooges, trick camera work etc, it doesn't really reflect on the ability of the actual magician
Exactly. The viewing public assume there are rules, but there aren't. We used to watch people like Paul Daniels, and they would explain that there was no camera trickery etc - we now take that for granted and assume there's no 'cheating', but the reality is that people like dynamo use it all the time. I could set up a camera, talk to some 'random strangers' and magically vanish (feel free to quote me up to there and respond with witty 'I wish you would' replies) and appear up a tree. Some of Dynamos 'work', while being more elaborate and polished, is basically that. I can picture the director - "ok everyone, stay where you are - ok, shocked faces at the ready as Dynamo magically appear on the other side of the river in 3, 2, 1... action!"

Don't get me wrong I love watching him. But is he really a magician? Or is he a performer?
I assume he does both - capable of the simple magic, and also performs a part in the 'amazing'.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
In 2002 we were in MacDonalds in Times Square NY, and the american magician Criss Angel came in and started doing tricks (look him up if you don't know him, bloody good!). He did a card trick for me plus stuff around other tables, and it was amazing. Probably the simplest of his repertoire, but got me totally stumped!

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
I disagree. Obviously he has media advice/support, and who knows what he's *really* like when there's not a camera on him, but he comes across as very humble. Every time. He talks about where he's from, and about his family, especially nan & grandad, more than about himself. If you're looking for a role model, look no further.

Agreed, his whole persona is highly admirable but i'm gutted to hear on this thread that his magic is not real.
That is quite some support network he has operating around him! He must have spent a fortune paying off THOUSANDS of people from the backstreets of Mumbai to the brighlights of NY city. Is there a team of lawyers
with him too? I imagine Wayne Rooney and Rio commanding bigger fees. Why has no-one spilt the beans since? Its a massive conspiracy operation! The more i write the more disgusted i am with him! Jamie Oliver, Bollywoods biggest star , rock stars, prem footballers, royalty, they're all in on it! Pah

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Love watching Dynamo........whether it's theatre, art or magic (which is only fooling people, basically) I don't care much, it's bloody clever regardless, especially the close-hand stuff. Every time I have heard him speak he sounds very down to earth too.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Dynamo will be appearing at the brighton centre january 2016. Tickets on sale saturday

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
tricky camera angles, innit.

I reckon the 'throwing stuff through glass' could be done, with a second item on other side, spring loaded out of sight, he puts hand over area, to hide it moving into place.

making phones go into a bottle? spare bottle with a false bottom, and a stooge.

as for the heated hands etc, always seems to have a large baggy coat on.. just saying.

I have seen ONE his stunts where you could actually see one of his team walk really close behind him and the phone being handed off to him. Its the only time I've seen this guy (and his team) slip up on camera. Otherwise - faultless.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Exactly. The viewing public assume there are rules, but there aren't. We used to watch people like Paul Daniels, and they would explain that there was no camera trickery etc - we now take that for granted and assume there's no 'cheating', but the reality is that people like dynamo use it all the time. I could set up a camera, talk to some 'random strangers' and magically vanish (feel free to quote me up to there and respond with witty 'I wish you would' replies) and appear up a tree. Some of Dynamos 'work', while being more elaborate and polished, is basically that. I can picture the director - "ok everyone, stay where you are - ok, shocked faces at the ready as Dynamo magically appear on the other side of the river in 3, 2, 1... action!"

Personally prefer Derren Brown (even though his parents were too stupid to spell Darren). Seen him live a couple of times and read all his books. His first book goes into great detail about how his does a number of his tricks including basic sleight of hand, "mind reading" and the hypnotic suggestion based ones. Excluding a few of his TV specials (the lottery numbers and russian roulette spring to mind), most of what he does you can see as a combination of the few basic techniques he describes and I'm confident that his "no camera tricks, no stooges" is actually true.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Look, i'm not expecting any answers but this guy holds me in awe as much as my kids.
Why is he not either standing in the election or being cut up by scientists?

Some of the stuff he does is really very good, other stuff just what other people do. He had no personality or charisma at all. At the end of the day, it's only magic, no real mystery.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here