Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dyche claims he isn't given the same credit he deserves as Guardiola, Klopp and Ranieri

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
He's a cock but he is bang on the button, the media love the foreign managers but they are no better than the english one just more glamourous on the post match interviews.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
How would we know? Moyes had the impossible job at Man Utd and there ends the opportunities an English manager has had to manage an "elite top 4" club. Rodgers very nearly won the league with Liverpool, that would have been huge for British managers but ultimately he fell just short.

Neither being English of course, but I agree. The only Englishmen given chances recently at 'big' clubs were Redknapp at Spurs and Pardew at Newcastle (Big club but perennial underachievers). Last Englishman at Man Utd, Atkinson, 1986, at Arsenal, Steve Burtenshaw, 1986, at Chelsea, Hoddle 1996, Man City, Stuart Pearce 2007, Everton, Kendall, 1998, Liverpool, Hodgson, 2011. We'll probably never know, now that they are all foreign owned now, and of course eveything foreign has to be better, but it would be interesting to see how someone like Hughton could do with a virtually unlimited budget like the top teams seem to have.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Depends if you like watching a team packed with 6ft + players who constantly pump high balls into the box. Oh, and with a cheating midfielder who stamps on opposition players. If you do, he's a talented manager.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Depends if you like watching a team packed with 6ft + players who constantly pump high balls into the box. Oh, and with a cheating midfielder who stamps on opposition players. If you do, he's a talented manager.

I don't think he was trying to make the point that he is a talented manager. It's more of a bias in favour of foreign managers. It doesn't just happen here though: Gary Neville in Spain... Exotic (?) foreign manager with zero experience got top job.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Neither being English of course, but I agree. The only Englishmen given chances recently at 'big' clubs were Redknapp at Spurs and Pardew at Newcastle (Big club but perennial underachievers). Last Englishman at Man Utd, Atkinson, 1986, at Arsenal, Steve Burtenshaw, 1986, at Chelsea, Hoddle 1996, Man City, Stuart Pearce 2007, Everton, Kendall, 1998, Liverpool, Hodgson, 2011. We'll probably never know, now that they are all foreign owned now, and of course eveything foreign has to be better, but it would be interesting to see how someone like Hughton could do with a virtually unlimited budget like the top teams seem to have.

But Hughton isn't English either of course.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I know about as much as you, but I certainly don't recall Burnley "going for it". There are also lots of teams with parachute payments, so he would have had to compete with them too

Dyche has done a good job for them. He may not be overly likable, but he has done well.

I'd like to see Dyche have a job-swap with Guardiola and see if it made any difference. I think it might, but not the way people expect. Guardiola has managed Barcelona and Bayern, not exactly tough gigs. What he'd do with Burnley would be very interesting.

As someone who has spoken to Dyche, I'd say he is likeable in person but doesn't come over too well on TV. Many managers perform poorly immediately after matches when tensions are still high, but when you get a chance to sit down with them, they're okay. Dyche has got a decent sense of humour. Even Nigel Adkins was okay at midweek press conferences. Likeable managers include Wenger, Ranieri, Pardew (sorry, but just my opinion), Dyche, Moyes, Pulis, Bilic, Klopp, Pellegrini and Hughes. Some people say the same about Benitez but I've always found him evasive. Mourinho used to be okay, but he believes his own publicity now. Pochettino, Pearson and the permanently moaning Steve Bruce are pains in the arse. All Albion managers are wonderful, of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here