Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***Durham v Sussex, 3-6 September, Chester-le-Street, LVCC Div 1***

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
It's fairly obvious Robinson is a loser. You've only got to listen to the man talk to realise that. I'm sure he's a nice guy but he's as cut out for first class cricket management as I am ballet dancing. Get rid ASAP.

mmm don't totally disagree but Robbo has won many things as a coach. Adams made a complete canute of himself with the biggest budget in county cricket at the Oval. Completely sh*t as a coach and a pedlar of cliches on tv despite being inspirational as a player. No thanks.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Never ceases to surprise me how some folk think the team they support is the only one worthy. I think things are fine at Sussex. 4th in the County Championship used to be an achievement.

There are some better sides than us around....

User Removed

Oct 21, 2005
Brighton
He inherited a great side and has dismantled it, to the point where it's just full of gutless, mediocre journeymen and enthusiastic but naïve kids.

I assume the 'great side' that you're referring to is the one that contained Montgomerie (retired), Lewry (retired), Mushtaq (retired), Kirtley (retired), Adams (retired)?

Obviously excepting those, please tell me the players or side that Robinson 'dismantled'?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Never ceases to surprise me how some folk think the team they support is the only one worthy. I think things are fine at Sussex. 4th in the County Championship used to be an achievement.

There are some better sides than us around....

Agreed. Look at our team it's not as if we are under-performing is it really there is some far better sides below us

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I assume the 'great side' that you're referring to is the one that contained Montgomerie (retired), Lewry (retired), Mushtaq (retired), Kirtley (retired), Adams (retired)?

Obviously excepting those, please tell me the players or side that Robinson 'dismantled'?

You could Martin-Jenkins to that list too. The only player that I can think of who was kicked out was Goodwin - and he had had a shocker of a season - as his previous Div 1 season had been - do you think someone else would have made a different decision?

Robbo has been an extraordinarily successful coach who has made some astute signings for the club. Magoffin was inspired, Joyce and Anyon have done well, he's worked wonders with Jordan and Panesar was good until this season - and Robbo can scarcely be blamed for a divorce.

The team does seem one dominant batsman short - Nash and Yardy are too prone to attractive 20s, 30s and 40s and Wells is too young still. Joyce has been excellent but if he's away we look screwed. And RHB has been a flop, talented player but something's not right there. Replace him with someone a bit grittier and things will start looking good

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
You could Martin-Jenkins to that list too. The only player that I can think of who was kicked out was Goodwin - and he had had a shocker of a season - as his previous Div 1 season had been - do you think someone else would have made a different decision?

Robbo has been an extraordinarily successful coach who has made some astute signings for the club. Magoffin was inspired, Joyce and Anyon have done well, he's worked wonders with Jordan and Panesar was good until this season - and Robbo can scarcely be blamed for a divorce.

The team does seem one dominant batsman short - Nash and Yardy are too prone to attractive 20s, 30s and 40s and Wells is too young still. Joyce has been excellent but if he's away we look screwed. And RHB has been a flop, talented player but something's not right there. Replace him with someone a bit grittier and things will start looking good

Very much this - it's stating the obvious, but most of Robinson's big successes have been on the bowling side - despite having lots of talent coming through on the batting, we've not managed to turn any of them into consistent forces in first class cricket. Robinson was never exactly a good bat - and I've questioned for some time how Carl Hopkinson can have metamorphed from a very mediocre batter into a high class batting coach.

We were massively lucky to have Moores - someone who understood batting and fielding and clearly was a great coach (as Lancashire and the legacy he left England attest to). Adams did the Churchill thing (and scored 1100 runs every season), and Goodwin and Mushy provided the overseas magic.

Sadly I do think it's time for Robbo to move on, and a new broom to take over. I don't want to diminish everything he's achieved - as our bowling coach in the glory days, and a very competent head coach who steered us through the retirement of the entire front line.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I struggle to understand how people can claim Robinson who's done a very good and been suceesful with a small budget is a loser whereas Adams is somehow a winner. Robinson took over ageing team and has tried to bring through younger players, succesfully. Adams took over quite a few promising youngsters, spent a load of money on star-signings and over the hill players and has been mediocre at best

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here