[NSC] Duplicate Accounts

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

D

Deleted member 2719

The humorous ones I get. But it’s the second accounts which posters use in an attempt to support and validate their own tiresome shite they post which I find weird.

I want to say that someone on 5k post doesn't have another account, but what's not to say they are on 65,000k post total or even more???

I don't mean this personally but I am pretty sure you do this.

Come on fess up and we can't start the new year on the level.

Remember 2021 will be the year of levelling up.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think [MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION] is the best poster on NSC. He doesn't need duplicate accounts.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I want to say that someone on 5k post doesn't have another account, but what's not to say they are on 65,000k post total or even more???

There is a clue to the answer to your question on this very thread. A kind of new year puzzle if you will. The prize is a replica shirt (age 7). Enjoy

Curryisgreat

Dec 9, 2010

Fvck my Uncle.

I trust this is your late entry in the dumbfvck post of the year category?

D

Deleted member 2719

There is a clue to the answer to your question on this very thread. A kind of new year puzzle if you will. The prize is a replica shirt (age 7). Enjoy

No good to me, so I won't enter it as she is 11 now, 4 years of lost revenue for a tenner and a bit of PR.

I hope you do realise it wasn't about the freebie, it was about the handling of it and the closing of ranks of a rude girl and her customer care, maybe she was a relative of yours???

Happy New Year Nev.:thumbsup:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
No good to me, so I won't enter it as she is 11 now, 4 years of lost revenue for a tenner and a bit of PR.

I hope you do realise it wasn't about the freebie, it was about the handling of it and the closing of ranks of a rude girl and her customer care, maybe she was a relative of yours???

Happy New Year Nev.:thumbsup:

Mouldy, you have MADE my new year with your reply.
Thank you and Happy New Year to you and yours as well :)

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
if YOUR clever you can often work out who it really is , usually bye they're punctuashun , speeling and sometimes there grandma.
MASSIVE give-away

TTFN
NAAFI

D

Deleted member 2719

Mouldy, you have MADE my new year with your reply.
Thank you and Happy New Year to you and yours as well :)

I always aim to please Nev, if you look after your customers they will look after you.................................Feck you're, not a customer.............................swivel on this Nev :hilton:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Multiple accounts are tolerated when they're clearly humorous* in nature. Where we get very twitchy is when they are being abused - specifically, in order to present entirely opposite opinions about topics that actually matter to the members of the community: eg politics, racism, Potter in/out etc, vote rigging on such topics etc. Sometimes, they even post an opinion about a contentious issue and then reply to the post in a matter of minutes from another account posting the opposite view. This is viewed as provocative trolling.

Where these things have been identified from long-standing members, approaches have been made to the offending real-life person asking them them to cease and desist. Generally, such representations are acknowledged and acted upon. Occasionally, they are acknowledged and then not acted upon. That tends to piss us off.

*It is accepted that what is humorous to some is not to others - that's why there is a mod towers; to allow discussion and striving to gain consensus. Obvs, Bozza has the power of veto over any decision - a veto that, in my experience, is seldom used.

In my view you moderators do an exceptional job. Being tolerant includes tolerance towards a certain amount of rudeness and fishing as well as views that might be regarded as bordering on the odious. Those who make threats and undertake the sort of trolling you outline are normally removed fairly quickly, although it took a while to have one particularly 'volatile' character despatched for good. An unpleasant PM to me which I passed on to a moderator resulted in the final obliviation. I find that the ignore function deals well with the NSC equivalent of scabies and head lice. So on this unusual occasion, I'm not sure I share the OP's concerns. Sorry [MENTION=396]WATFORD zero[/MENTION] :shrug:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
[MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] has given a good summary of how we operate with regard to this, but I just want to pick up one point.:

The mods can clearly identify multiple accounts when they want to.... .

No, we can't - there's nothing that alerts us to either definite nor likely duplicate accounts.

It's generally the case that our suspicions are aroused by some nefarious behaviour, and we do some investigating to see if anything untoward is gong on. In some cases the use of duplicate accounts is obvious through a combination of IP addresses, registration email addresses and posting history, whilst in others we can't be entirely sure, but are satisfied beyond all reasonable doubt.

The fact is if you want to have duplicate accounts on NSC and are very, very careful about it, we'll never know, and frankly we almost certainly don't care either.

However in 20 years of looking after this site, experience tells me that most of those that seek to get up to no good with duplicate accounts will make a mistake sooner or later. They'll make a post from the "wrong" account or forget to hop onto their usual anonymous VPN for their second user, leaving an IP address connection with their main account, often late in the evening when drink has been taken.

I do find it slightly strange that some seek to use a duplicate account to express a view that they are not bold enough to promote using their main long-standing account. If that view is something you believe in, why not just man up and say it via your main account? That you seek to try and hide your identity via a second account, should probably tell you that you really know that view is incorrect or unacceptable.

Pork Knuckle Pete

at the meat party
Nov 1, 2010

I’m also pretty certain he’s got a second account. After all, who else is liking all that drivel he posts? He’s not half as clever as he thinks; we will rumble him soon!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
[MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] has given a good summary of how we operate with regard to this, but I just want to pick up one point.:

No, we can't - there's nothing that alerts us to either definite nor likely duplicate accounts.

It's generally the case that our suspicions are aroused by some nefarious behaviour, and we do some investigating to see if anything untoward is gong on. In some cases the use of duplicate accounts is obvious through a combination of IP addresses, registration email addresses and posting history, whilst in others we can't be entirely sure, but are satisfied beyond all reasonable doubt.

The fact is if you want to have duplicate accounts on NSC and are very, very careful about it, we'll never know, and frankly we almost certainly don't care either.

However in 20 years of looking after this site, experience tells me that most of those that seek to get up to no good with duplicate accounts will make a mistake sooner or later. They'll make a post from the "wrong" account or forget to hop onto their usual anonymous VPN for their second user, leaving an IP address connection with their main account, often late in the evening when drink has been taken.

I do find it slightly strange that some seek to use a duplicate account to express a view that they are not bold enough to promote using their main long-standing account. If that view is something you believe in, why not just man up and say it via your main account? That you seek to try and hide your identity via a second account, should probably tell you that you really know that view is incorrect or unacceptable.

Thanks for that (and [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION]'s) full and detailed explanation. I did try explaining to [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION] about identifying duplicate accounts here
I don't believe they can. (Unless someone has been exceedingly stupid with their e-mail addresses, IP addresses they use, etc ) which will almost certainly be the case in point here :dunce:
But between you and me, I think he has a condition which means he has trouble retaining information :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports