Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk signs new contract - 3 years to June 2026

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
@Harry Wilson's tackle, that was my immediate thought on reading this too. Especially given how the game is these days, I never thought anybody would get anywhere near Tug Wilson's total, but if Dunk stays healthy and maintains his level, he's going to break our all-time appearance record. In an era where the word 'legend' is thrown around with abandon, Dunk is the genuine article.

Heart and Soul

Jul 7, 2023
No, because he's got a completely different job with a different audience. The difference between him (and other established journalists) is that they won't dabble in heresay or – what it looks like the case is in this instance – break club embargoes when they send out news.

Yes it's fantastic news and no, no-one should care. Nor should there be any point in Romano 'revealing' it before the club does, but he's got to get the likes and retweets that his ego deserves.
As someone who read tabloids well into the noughties you must be having a laugh if you say "established" journalists don't do hearsay or break embargoes.
For whatever reason, people want new news rather than old news, so they will get their news from the quickest source which is anyone but Naylor.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
As someone who read tabloids well into the noughties you must be having a laugh if you say "established" journalists don't do hearsay or break embargoes.
For whatever reason, people want new news rather than old news, so they will get their news from the quickest source which is anyone but Naylor.
I didn't say ALL established journalists! Of course there are wrong'uns there – always have been, always will be. All I'm saying is that there must be others like Andy who report on their clubs in a similar way. Their approach is to take their lead from the club, respect the embargoes set on news and not get involved with rumours – not without checking with their sources (i.e. the club in question).

In my near quarter of a century in journalism, there have been countless times when I could've broken stories well ahead of the embargo. But I chose not to because a) I respect the people who are providing the story and b) I'm not a completely selfish egotistical berk who wants to be all 'look at me and what I know but you don't'. Yes, I've broken stories based on what people have actually said, but using second-hand information without checking it first? No chance.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It would be nice but for him to maintain his levels in the premier league for another four years at his age without injury would be miraculous.
Yeah for sure.

The total appearances isn't just limited to the league though, is it? Or perhaps it is.

By my admittedly quick calculations he's 150 appearances off Tug's record. If he were to play four more full Premier League seasons he'd beat that by two appearances. But then if you throw in the FA Cup (potentially 6 games, not including replays), the EFL Cup (potentially 6 games) and the Europa League (certainly for this season) it could possibly be done in two years? If we were to win two cups and hit European qualification.

And that's also just 'appearances', right? An appearance just means he steps onto the pitch, not necessarily that he played the full 90.

I think he'll do it.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Whilst it is great news, didn't his contract run approx that long anyway; or had one of his multiple 5 year deals finally neared its end?
As far as I can see his last contract was signed in 2020 for 5 years so this is effectively a 1 year extension to that deal, plus an obvious uptake in his weekly wage to go along with it.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Yeah for sure.

The total appearances isn't just limited to the league though, is it? Or perhaps it is.

By my admittedly quick calculations he's 150 appearances off Tug's record. If he were to play four more full Premier League seasons he'd beat that by two appearances. But then if you throw in the FA Cup (potentially 6 games, not including replays), the EFL Cup (potentially 6 games) and the Europa League (certainly for this season) it could possibly be done in two years? If we were to win two cups and hit European qualification.

And that's also just 'appearances', right? An appearance just means he steps onto the pitch, not necessarily that he played the full 90.

I think he'll do it.
He now has 3 seasons with us. He played 42 times last year. So if he stayed injury free and managed the same amount of games over the contract, its 126 games, that would put him 2nd and about 24 sort of equaling the record. I think, if he's to break the record he'd need a year's extension when this one expires.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
He now has 3 seasons with us. He played 42 times last year. So if he stayed injury free and managed the same amount of games over the contract, its 126 games, that would put him 2nd and about 24 sort of equaling the record. I think, if he's to break the record he'd need a year's extension when this one expires.
It's going to be a 60 game season with winning the League Cup, FA Cup and Europa League . He'll easily make number 1 player in 3 years.:)

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Blah blah blah Romano. Blah blah blah Naylor

No comments needed on this thread other than those along the lines of ...."Congratulations on your new contract Lewis. We're delighted that you'll be our player for the next 3 years"

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
It's going to be a 60 game season with winning the League Cup, FA Cup and Europa League . He'll easily make number 1 player in 3 years.:)
Will he play them all? With the league and europe being priority, there's a good chance he wont feature in the league cup or fa cup until the latter rounds

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here