Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dunk Signs New 5-Year Contract

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Poor old Goldson must be wondering where he fits in now, turning down Swansea because he didn't want to be a bit part player, seems he may be one here too, what a waste.

Very happy to hear the news tonight!
I said before that if the club kept hold of Dunk and Stephens, it showed real intent, and they have followed that through. I believe Dunk is the future Captain of the club, and will no doubt take the Captains armband from Greer, as I think this is his last season. Hünemeier and Dunk would make a fantastic pairing, and one I think we'd all like to see.
I do feel sorry for Goldson though, who was obviously brought in as back up in case Dunk left. It will be interesting to see what happens to him, but I doubt he will get much game time except cup games maybe. I think Rea will definitely be sent out on loan now. It makes no sense to have 5 central defenders, and Rea is a very promising player and needs first team game time to develop his game.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Dunks new contract is a lot less than Fulham offered him... allegedly.

Lots of figures have been bandied about re Dunk's likely earnings at BHA and what Fulham have been offering. If he was on £7-£8k ( basic ) per week here and Fulham, allegedly, were offering anything from x2 to x3 his basic salary then he would be with them now. A complete no-brainer.
I suspect that the figures being quoted from Fulham were a total package, involving substantial bonuses, which is not always a true reflection of earnings. Big difference between possible earnings and probable earnings.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Last season, Lewis Dunk and Connor Goldson scored 14 goals between them for their respective clubs. Can we afford to ignore this goalscoring potential?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Entirely confused by this. Four into two doesn't go. A substantial slice of the budget has been taken up on four centre halves at a club where Cook and Elphick had to leave in recent years due to lack of opportunity and where we have Rea and Dallison coming through.

Do you think Hughton might start playing 5-3-2?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Goldson will play plenty of games covering injuries and suspensions. If he does well, he should keep his place. Dunk will play tonight to give Greer a rest, then big decisions on Saturday for CH. We needed competition for starting places and we now have that nearly all over the pitch. Excellent stuff.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Entirely confused by this. Four into two doesn't go. A substantial slice of the budget has been taken up on four centre halves at a club where Cook and Elphick had to leave in recent years due to lack of opportunity and where we have Rea and Dallison coming through.

Do you think Hughton might start playing 5-3-2?

It certainly gives him more options and flexibility. He experimented with 343 against Watford last year, for example.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
It certainly gives him more options and flexibility. He experimented with 343 against Watford last year, for example.

I do find it bizarre. I know Goldson can play right back but so do Bruno, Rosenior and Calderon! I wonder if Goldson might go out on loan to a better league 1 club with a view to him being integrated more into the squad at the back end of this season with Greer becoming more of a fourth choice

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
I do find it bizarre. I know Goldson can play right back but so do Bruno, Rosenior and Calderon! I wonder if Goldson might go out on loan to a better league 1 club with a view to him being integrated more into the squad at the back end of this season with Greer becoming more of a fourth choice

I don't. We need competition for every position on the pitch - Stockdale, Bruno and KLL have already upped their games for example. Goldson will get plenty of opportunities to cover injuries and suspensions and if he does well, he may well get to keep his place. Plus it gives CH the flexibility to change things around for certain games if he needs to. What it does mean is that Rea and Dallison have to do VERY well to get anywhere near the first team, but that is healthy. There will be more Cook/Elphick situations in the future that is for sure, but that is unavoidable if we are going to start a production line of talent - look at Southampton, that is the club we need to emulate.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I don't. We need competition for every position on the pitch - Stockdale, Bruno and KLL have already upped their games for example. Goldson will get plenty of opportunities to cover injuries and suspensions and if he does well, he may well get to keep his place. Plus it gives CH the flexibility to change things around for certain games if he needs to. What it does mean is that Rea and Dallison have to do VERY well to get anywhere near the first team, but that is healthy. There will be more Cook/Elphick situations in the future that is for sure, but that is unavoidable if we are going to start a production line of talent - look at Southampton, that is the club we need to emulate.

I don't disagree with any of the sentiment there, but I do think there are areas where we desperately need competition (left back, wingers, strikers). I just hope we have the budget for those areas too.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
It's just a guess, but perhaps the club refused to sell Dunk to another Championship club for competitive reasons, with Dunk being offered a new contract with improved wages including a buy out clause should a Premier League team make an acceptable offer for him. Until the end of the transfer window, no-one knows whether Dunk will still be with us, so having plenty of CB options is essential.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Very surprised but happy with this news. It's not often you hear a Brighton player express a desire to stay at this club when other clubs come sniffing around. We are certainly showing real intent, fingers crossed for some more quality upfront before the window closes. Very exciting season looming I think. My negativity of the last two seasons is being swept away.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was impressed by Dunk's tribute to his two former teammates killed in the Shoreham Air Show disaster. It could be entirely unrelated, or it might just have helped get things in perspective for him. The bottom line is he's chosen to stay and that's massive boost for us.
I didnt have the words to phrase it, I was also thinking along these lines.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
I didnt have the words to phrase it, I was also thinking along these lines.

Maybe Pavilionaire could write all of your posts from now on, freeing you up to do The Guardian concise crossword while supping cups of earl grey tea (milk, no sugar) pinky finger extended as you lift the cup.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here