Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk interview

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Dunk is probably our most valuable player in modern times in my opinion. I would also add Gross but Dunk was around for so much longer. Dunk really is a wonderful footballer, I have loved watching his development from a raw 18 year old (I admit I judged him wrongly for a season or so) to the complete player he is now. It has been such a privilege to watch a true master.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Dunk is probably our most valuable player in modern times in my opinion. I would also add Gross but Dunk was around for so much longer. Dunk really is a wonderful footballer, I have loved watching his development from a raw 18 year old (I admit I judged him wrongly for a season or so) to the complete player he is now. It has been such a privilege to watch a true master.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Magure has never let England down though. If you'd only watched England games and ignore the premier league he's be one of the first names on the team sheet. Now, his lack of game time is a worry, no doubt. But, the performances of Maguire for England are a credit to Southgate, and probably a testament to the mentality instilled in the England squad by GS that Dunk refers to in his interview.

'The thing that has most struck Lewis Dunk, back in the England squad after a five‑year hiatus, is the collective confidence, the way that Gareth Southgate and his players frame victory at the European Championship next summer as the only available option.'

“We had a meeting the other day and he’s talking about winning the Euros and the whole squad is thinking about winning the Euros,” Dunk says. “I would say that’s the big change – in mentality. It’s not: ‘How far can we get in a tournament?’ It’s: ‘We will win this tournament. We want to win this tournament.’"
I don’t fully disagree.

I just really really want to see Lewis Dunk (regularly) in an England shirt, firstly for selfish reasons, and secondly because I feel he has more than earned that chance.

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I don’t fully disagree.

I just really really want to see Lewis Dunk (regularly) in an England shirt, firstly for selfish reasons, and secondly because I feel he has more than earned that chance.
if he had been an England regular he would have been of a few years back...

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Without a doubt our most valuable player when you look at contribution over long period, people might forget he was the top goal scorer in the Hyppia/Hughton season and those goals got points that helped us stay up. A much more passing centre half in the next two seasons when we were attacking rather than defending, key in the first two season of PL football. Some might underrate him but a lot of pundits picked out him and Duffy as key to our PL survival and excellent at the role they were asked to play.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Magure has never let England down though. If you'd only watched England games and ignore the premier league he's be one of the first names on the team sheet. Now, his lack of game time is a worry, no doubt. But, the performances of Maguire for England are a credit to Southgate, and probably a testament to the mentality instilled in the England squad by GS that Dunk refers to in his interview.

'The thing that has most struck Lewis Dunk, back in the England squad after a five‑year hiatus, is the collective confidence, the way that Gareth Southgate and his players frame victory at the European Championship next summer as the only available option.'

“We had a meeting the other day and he’s talking about winning the Euros and the whole squad is thinking about winning the Euros,” Dunk says. “I would say that’s the big change – in mentality. It’s not: ‘How far can we get in a tournament?’ It’s: ‘We will win this tournament. We want to win this tournament.’"
Never let England down, hmmmm.

Apart from letting giroud ghost in from a cross that should have been easily dealt with and costing us a potential place in a world cup semi finals......

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Never let England down, hmmmm.

Apart from letting giroud ghost in from a cross that should have been easily dealt with and costing us a potential place in a world cup semi finals......
Really? It was an amazing cross, Giroud has done that to hundreds of defenders, Dunk has been beaten like that before as have basically all centre backs, and Maguire is at least attacking it whereas Stones is marking no-one at the near post where the cross goes - if anyone was going to 'easily deal with it' it was him. But really its just a fantastic cross and finish.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
You get the sense from the photos the club/England account are putting out that he looks far more comfortable and at home among the England squad these days compared to his first call up back in 2018. Be great to see him given the chance to show it on the pitch, too.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Its a stretch to think Brighton's social media team know that he's playing.
Is it? A nod from the England camp filtering through to the Brighton camp? Just seems like they're overegging it a bit otherwise.

FWIW I don't think he'll start against Ukraine but a real possibility for the Scotland game.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Is it? A nod from the England camp filtering through to the Brighton camp? Just seems like they're overegging it a bit otherwise.

FWIW I don't think he'll start against Ukraine but a real possibility for the Scotland game.
I just think we're super proud.

But Maguire + Dunk makes most sense from the experience angle, are they really going to throw young Colwill straight into a tricky qualification tie? Isn't he the one more likely to get a go in the friendly?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I just think we're super proud.

But Maguire + Dunk makes most sense from the experience angle, are they really going to throw young Colwill straight into a tricky qualification tie? Isn't he the one more likely to get a go in the friendly?
Does it make the most sense attribute wise though? That's a very physically strong but quite slow CB partnership. I feel Dunk would suit being alongside a Colwill or even Stones more.

I see Dunk as basically a better, more well-rounded version of Maguire IMO.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
You get the sense from the photos the club/England account are putting out that he looks far more comfortable and at home among the England squad these days compared to his first call up back in 2018.

I agree. Part of that will be down to self-belief but I wonder if he's more accepted by the other players now too. I imagine there's a bit of snobbery amongst players, as there is with fans. When Dunk last got called up, was there an element of "who's this guy?" Nowadays he has a reputation as stalwart captain of one of the best sides in the league.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Stones is out so Dunk and Colwill just makes sense. Will it to Gareth though?
It completely makes sense. I'm hopeful Levi will have made this clear to Gareth.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Does it make the most sense attribute wise though? That's a very physically strong but quite slow CB partnership. I feel Dunk would suit being alongside a Colwill or even Stones more.

I see Dunk as basically a better, more well-rounded version of Maguire IMO.
Assuming Stones is first choice, he's always played on the right of the pair. Dunk also prefers it there, although does move over when Webster plays. Think Dunk would be more comfortable alongside Maguire than Stones.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I don't know if Colwill should be thrown straight into a qualifier, he's still very inexperienced. He's only just come out of the U21s, let him be around the squad a bit first, play in a friendly rather than putting him straight in the deep end.

The Dunk Maguire combo is a bit slow for my liking. And playing alongside Dunk would be great for Colwill.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here