[Albion] Dunk interview

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If he doesn't put Dunk and Colwill together at the back then he's a f**king moron.
It'll be Maguire and Colwill for the Ukraine game, I suspect.

Possibly Dunk and Guehi for the Scotland game.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Dunk looks a much more relaxed player nowadays . Nice that JP took responsibility for a lot of the starting moves from the back against Newcastle with dunk at his side
What's great about Dunk, is that he was always a great old school Centre-Back under Hughton, just superb at getting in the way and making tackles, under Potter he began to add more technique to his game, and now under De Zerbi he has been further transformed into one of the best next-generation football Centre-Backs out there.

Dunk's ability to grow as a player as the game has moved on has been brilliant to watch, I am so glad he'll end up being a one-club man. A true Albion great.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
It'll be Maguire and Colwill for the Ukraine game, I suspect.

Possibly Dunk and Guehi for the Scotland game.
Maguire hasn’t played enough and is an accident waiting to happen. If he screws up then the waist coat wanker is going to have a very unpleasant time.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Maguire hasn’t played enough and is an accident waiting to happen. If he screws up then the waist coat wanker is going to have a very unpleasant time.
Of course he hasn't played. Which makes me concerned that GS putting him in the squad at all (and talking about needing experience) is because he's thinking about playing him. I really hope not.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
What's great about Dunk, is that he was always a great old school Centre-Back under Hughton, just superb at getting in the way and making tackles, under Potter he began to add more technique to his game, and now under De Zerbi he has been further transformed into one of the best next-generation football Centre-Backs out there.

Dunk's ability to grow as a player as the game has moved on has been brilliant to watch, I am so glad he'll end up being a one-club man. A true Albion great.
He always had that technique. He was a ball playing defender in the championship but when we got promoter our style had to change and so did Dunk. Once we went back to passing football Dunk got to show how good at it he is again.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
He always had that technique. He was a ball playing defender in the championship but when we got promoter our style had to change and so did Dunk. Once we went back to passing football Dunk got to show how good at it he is again.

100%. I think the reason why many non-Brighton fans underestimated him for years is that their introduction to Dunk was in our early Prem years under Hughton. For some, those first impressions have stuck. Even last year I heard a commentator say, "I didn't know he had that in his locker", after a slide rule, defence-splitting pass.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Agreed on above points - mad how many non-BHA still seems to think he’s just a Duffy-esque, body on the line type CB. He’s the complete package.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Of course he hasn't played. Which makes me concerned that GS putting him in the squad at all (and talking about needing experience) is because he's thinking about playing him. I really hope not.
Magure has never let England down though. If you'd only watched England games and ignore the premier league he's be one of the first names on the team sheet. Now, his lack of game time is a worry, no doubt. But, the performances of Maguire for England are a credit to Southgate, and probably a testament to the mentality instilled in the England squad by GS that Dunk refers to in his interview.

'The thing that has most struck Lewis Dunk, back in the England squad after a five‑year hiatus, is the collective confidence, the way that Gareth Southgate and his players frame victory at the European Championship next summer as the only available option.'

“We had a meeting the other day and he’s talking about winning the Euros and the whole squad is thinking about winning the Euros,” Dunk says. “I would say that’s the big change – in mentality. It’s not: ‘How far can we get in a tournament?’ It’s: ‘We will win this tournament. We want to win this tournament.’"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here