Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dunk and Huenemeier please

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Nothing against Greer. I don't think he's "shit" or any nonsense. Just think he is slowing up a bit, and has always struggled in the air. He did actually play quite well against Blackburn, but long term I see the other two.

Long term I do too, but not yet. I'd still like to see GG as our commander in chief on the field, until the send of the season when l've a feeling he will retire anyway. So up until then, I'll be happy to see him play alongside either Uwe or Dunky.

In terms of a future captain, I'd be happier to see either Uwe or Bruno with the armband.

el punal

Dunk and Uwe seems the logical choice. Bit of pace each, both decent in air. And both have age on there side. Greer has played pretty well in general so far and won't be easy to move from the side, be interesting to see how long Hughton persists with Greer.

Maybe until his next injury or ban from accumulative yellow cards?

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
It's a 46 game season. Plenty of chances for injuries and cup games to rotate the defence. No need to do it when we're in good form - with no Calderon involved either there's no obvious deputy so you don't want to just chuck the armband around willy nilly.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Maybe we will see a bit if rotation for a while. Goodson looks good and I doubt he's come here to never play. We will certainly have cover for injuries and suspensions. Long term I agree that Hunemeier and Dunk looks the logical partnership and Henemeier might in the end be club captain. I wouldnt be surprised to see Rea go out on loan.

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
This ultra defensive system you won't read about in the modern tactical systems as it dates back to the Uruguyan national side back into the seventies.

Three centre backs, but without wing-backs. One of the centre-backs (Dunk would be best) has licence to go forward and because there are three centre backs on the pitch there is no need for the defensive midfielder to drop back into cover.

So it is conceivable that it possible to play Greer, Dunk and Uwe Hünemeier. Don't know if I like the system but if there is any team I would play it against it would be Ipswich away with Darryl Murphy, Smith and Berra all good in the air.

Jesus... First all that Buckley nonsense and then this *shakes head in disbelief*

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We could end up with an opposition player actually being flagged for off side.

:ohmy:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I personally feel this is Greer's last season as an Albion player, and we have now covered ourselves for the future. With Dunk, Uwe and Goldson, and Rea/Dallison in the wings we seem set for the next few years at CB meaning we can now concentrate on improving things further up the pitch.

The nice thing for Hughton is that he now has four first choice centre backs to mix and match as the rigours of a 46+ cup games season take their toll.
Exciting times!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I appreciate the op hasn't criticised Greer within his request for a new central defensive partnership, but I do feel Greer's contribution and performances for the club are vastly under rated and appreciated.

Very rarely does he receive the plaudits for 5 years of solid performances, leading the team to some of the best league finishes in decades.

For me he's right up there with some of our best centre half's since I started watching the Albion, in terms of longevity and performances. It seems strange he's not revered and celebrated in the same way that Cullip, Morgan & Upson were despite contributing more than any of them across an Albion career.

I think he was superb for the first 2-3 years. Last year he was unquestionably poor, and at fault for a large number of goals.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
Strange debate. CB is the one area where injuries and suspensions mean you need at least three top-performing operators, and that's what we've got now. Both Gordon and Uwe picked up yellows on Saturday, and that's going to happen regularly.

I think Greer seems to be building a good understanding with Uwe and has been instrumental in helping Dunk develop his game. He's also been a model pro and good club captain and is a current international.

All this criticism seems pretty bizarre to me. If he's moving into the next stage of his career (club captain and slowly passing the mantle to younger men), sobeit, but let's give him the respect he deserves along the way.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
This ultra defensive system you won't read about in the modern tactical systems as it dates back to the Uruguyan national side back into the seventies.

Three centre backs, but without wing-backs. One of the centre-backs (Dunk would be best) has licence to go forward and because there are three centre backs on the pitch there is no need for the defensive midfielder to drop back into cover.

So it is conceivable that it possible to play Greer, Dunk and Uwe Hünemeier. Don't know if I like the system but if there is any team I would play it against it would be Ipswich away with Darryl Murphy, Smith and Berra all good in the air.

The trouble with us playing that system is that, owing to the lack of wingbacks, and with Dunk in the middle of the three, we'd end up having to push Greer out wide if the opposition attack down his side and he doesn't have the pace for that. Of course with Kaz/Murphy/Solly tracking back the risk is mitigated somewhat.

I've always hoped we'd play something like this:

---------------Hemed--------------
----Kaz---------------------Solly--
--------Kayal----Stephens------
---Bong------Ince-------Bruno--
--------Dunk------Uwe/GG-----
----------------DS-----------------

Pretty much the system you describe but with the wing backs. Ince dropping back into cover when defending and pushing forward when attacking.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
I think he was superb for the first 2-3 years. Last year he was unquestionably poor, and at fault for a large number of goals.

Yes - but how much of that was because he was exposed by a non-existent midfield, and our full backs surging forward with no cover?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I have been thinking about this whole Beram as captain thing. I would LOVE it but...

Its kind of inferred that he is the "unofficial" captain anyway but maybe this is whats keeping him on his toes? By showing everyone that he should be the captain.

Also maybe (and its a big maybe) but maybe he doesnt want it and prefers things the way they are? Sometimes players get the captains armband and the responsibility (such as it is) becomes too much.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Goldson is the (natural) right-sided successor to Greer in the medium to long term while Dunk and the BfG compete for the left-sided CB role.
Quite possible that Dunk will partner Huenemeier tonight but after his great form in the first few games expect Greer back at Ipswich.

Wouldn't entirely rule out three CB's with wing backs on occasion but it takes some practice and as Man U showed so admirably last season, not everyone can play it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I have been thinking about this whole Beram as captain thing. I would LOVE it but...

Its kind of inferred that he is the "unofficial" captain anyway but maybe this is whats keeping him on his toes? By showing everyone that he should be the captain.

Also maybe (and its a big maybe) but maybe he doesnt want it and prefers things the way they are? Sometimes players get the captains armband and the responsibility (such as it is) becomes too much.

I partially take your point, but King Kayal is a natural born leader. I can't see him not wanting it.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
I think Greer has looked much better this season as have a few others. Players are aware that there is far more competition for places this year so need to be at there best.There will be injuries, illness and suspensions, so a strong squad is required. We do need, as others have suggested, a proven goal scorer and I hope that everyone is not relying on Zamora to be that person. The lad signed from Madrid should be ready before Christmas so that will hopefully be a bonus. I honestly do believe that a top 4 finish is possible.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wouldn't entirely rule out three CB's with wing backs on occasion but it takes some practice and as Man U showed so admirably last season, not everyone can play it.
I can't see any change in formation, CH has spent a serious amount of time and money on 4-4-2 and is 1 winger away from putting it all together.

Goldson is moving from the fourth division, his 'hype' comes from us expecting him to be a first team regular and Dunk's replacement.
Fourth choice is no bad thing, for a season,

Another quality season from LD and he'll not be at the club in 12 months time, Greer certainly wont.

The big question has to be where does this leave Rea and Dallison.
Rea may well have expected that fourth choice spot, now it looks like he's shunted back a year.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that we will continue to play the same system as we are now but with refs giving cards like confetti at a wedding we will need the 4 CB that we have and they will all be rotated as needed I think that it is possible that GG will return to Scotland during the January window to finish his career back home. Has he taken any coaching badges or indeed is that his chosen route for later life.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I can't see any change in formation, CH has spent a serious amount of time and money on 4-4-2 and is 1 winger away from putting it all together.

Goldson is moving from the fourth division, his 'hype' comes from us expecting him to be a first team regular and Dunk's replacement.
Fourth choice is no bad thing, for a season,

Another quality season from LD and he'll not be at the club in 12 months time, Greer certainly wont.

The big question has to be where does this leave Rea and Dallison.
Rea may well have expected that fourth choice spot, now it looks like he's shunted back a year.

Agree about Greer likely to be in last season. Rea is going out on loan. He's still only 20 (21 next week). Dallison is only 19.
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/13619929.Albion_prospect_set_for_loan_deal/

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here