Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dull, dull, dull, have we now become the dullest team to watch in the EPL?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Our goalie tries to liven it up though !

Loved Warren's description of Sanchez coming out for the ball in from a corner: he looks like he's got a little bag on his arm and flapping about like he's cleaning windows.

There’s been nothing we’ve seen in the past 6 games that we haven’t seen plenty of times in the past few seasons. I still think we were playing worse around 16 months ago-ish.

So let’s not get carried away, Potterball wasn’t all it was quite cracked up to be by its boosters but neither is it as bad as what a run of poor form and tough fixtures is suggesting it is. We’ll probably beat Norwich comfortably and coast the last games after in our usual hit and miss way. Then on to a bit of summer strengthening hopefully

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Calling [MENTION=34942]Dr. No[/MENTION]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Loved Warren's description of Sanchez coming out for the ball in from a corner: he looks like he's got a little bag on his arm and flapping about like he's cleaning windows.

Like Warren knows anything about goalkeeping :shrug:

Has he learned how to pronounce Sonchey yet?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think we just need Duffy NOT in the team TBH. It’s not his fault but he destroys the way we can play. I’m sure if Lamptey was fit enough to play two games in a week then Veltman plays CB tonight.

I still maintain that the club have let Potter down this season - in the summer failing to find a striker better than Maupay and then January failing to replace Burn having made the very questionable decision to let Burn leave. Thus promoting Duffy back to first choice back up and making a back 3 very difficult to field. Webster’s injury was unfortunate and also totally predictable.

Think Duffy was a lot better than Dunk tonight and over the course of the season I don't think there has been much between them, if anything Duffy has probably been better (he had a great few games at start of season).. The club got it wrong when they sold Burn as did a good number of fans thinking Dunk was better than him. I have been a big fan and supporter of Dunk over the years but he really slows our play down.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Think Duffy was a lot better than Dunk tonight and over the course of the season I don't think there has been much between them, if anything Duffy has probably been better (he had a great few games at start of season).. The club got it wrong when they sold Burn as did a good number of fans thinking Dunk was better than him. I have been a big fan and supporter of Dunk over the years but he really slows our play down.

Radio Sussex post match thought Duffy had probably performed the best out of everyone.

Radio Sussex post match thought Duffy had probably performed the best out of everyone.

Dunk made a few minor errors here and there but I think the defence are getting a bad rap they don’t deserve tonight. Look at the first goal, the defence were doing their jobs ok, it was the midfield trackers who let the guy get his shot away, Mac Allister I think. This is exactly the thing the Spurs defensive mids stopped us doing, blocking shots constantly. Same with the second goal, defenders entitled to believe Sanchez could have come out to close down the shot, it’s old man Kane not quicksilver Salah or Son FFS.
Generally the defenders handled the Spurs forwards well but were let down by others

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Lol…I listened to that on the way home….I’m not sure the whole defence inspires confidence at the mo…but I think Warren was being a tad harsh ..it was just the one cross and nothing came of it.
More is (apart from not scoring a solitary goal) ..in the last three home games we’ve been done by a breakaway goal….Watkins ..Diaz and Sir Harry

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We played well at the beginning of the season and now we are shit!!

It all evens out to about where we should be though, until we sort out our scoring problems of course.

I wonder if any of our coaching team have an idea of how to stop getting hit on the break. Though to find out this way but, who knew Spurs were good on the counter.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Guardian’s match report:

“There will be no amateur over-dramatics from Brighton supporters. They appreciate how far they have come in a short space of time. Yet football fans crave entertainment, and the large handful of empty blue seats around the Amex had multiplied rapidly well before the close. There are, after all, cheaper ways to be entertained than 10 goals in 15 home league games.”

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That was fu**ing deathly dull.

Potter plays great football? Not any more he doesn't.

Examples:

Just before half time Trossard has the opportunity to launch a break down the left, turns back inside instead, dribbles backwards, loses it and eventually Kane gets a free kick twenty yards out. March. Every flipping time he either loses out on a 50-50 due to pace or gets clear, turns back and launches a lovely five yard pass backwards or backwards diagonal. It's painful and obvious.

Lots and lots of square five yard balls while we waited for Spurs to get back in formation. They were so far quicker and direct in possession.

We have a bunch of players who CANNOT play this football, Duffy cannot play this football, Hello Sanchez, you're not Ederson, why not ping one of those lovely passes behind the full back like you did in the first 10 mins against Liverpool. March cannot play this football. Maupay barely gets any chances these days yet seems to be the sort of player who needs a quick instinctive ball in to score, Give him any longer than a second to think about it and he makes a complete balls up of it. Mac Allister has no idea who to play the forward pass to. Veltman is a poor pastiche of when Bruno used to find impossible line balls down the right.

Change the players or change the coach. What's cheaper? Or settle for THIS? I genuinely don't know the answer any more.

I normally have a counter argument to your observations but I’m sad to say that is a good post :down:

Seems everyone including GP have lost their way and no, other than injuries to key players, I can’t put my finger on why.

We have deteriorated from an exciting team that win lose or draw I loved watching to one who got far more FFSs than OOOHS from me last night.

Far too many bad days at the office to be a glitch

Would I sack GP? No, but if this carries on I can see a parting of the ways by mutual consent :down:

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I normally have a counter argument to your observations but I’m sad to say that is a good post :down:

Seems everyone including GP have lost their way and no, other than injuries to key players, I can’t put my finger on why.

We have deteriorated from an exciting team that win lose or draw I loved watching to one who got far more FFSs than OOOHS from me last night.

Would I sack GP? No, but if this carries on I can see a parting of the ways by mutual consent :down:

I take no pleasure in it Icy. I want to have you and Swanny bouncing my old posts as we fly up the league, finally matching a high xG with a high actual number of goals, competing against the big boys and finding a way against the worse sides.

Instead it's six defeats in a row and ONE goal. We look like a side who are scared to lose the ball, rather than one who want to score a goal.

At least there's no game this weekend and the F1 for both of us and egg chasing for you to take our minds off it :(

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

I think a lot of "Potterball" is about being brave with the ball, playing high risk passes with quality. We've lost our confidence and the quality isn't there at all.

So we keep the ball as much as we can with easy passes to avoid risk. Then we lose it. Then the opposition score. Then they sit back and we do the same thing again.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

My God!

That is a seismic shift of a post on NSC.

Things a really bad when Icy is admitting that we might see the end of Potter if it doesn’t change.

I feel your pain Icy.

This is - ultimately - a results business, and while I am not yet Potter Out, I have been in the past and have always with heavy heart pointed to the results and why we are not getting them. It’s a horrible place to be in.

But, I am hopeful that a good win against Norwich will restore confidence and then we can judge the whole lot of them on the rest of the season.

A defeat against Norwich is not worth contemplating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I take no pleasure in it Icy. I want to have you and Swanny bouncing my old posts as we fly up the league, finally matching a high xG with a high actual number of goals, competing against the big boys and finding a way against the worse sides.

Instead it's six defeats in a row and ONE goal. We look like a side who are scared to lose the ball, rather than one who want to score a goal.
Nailed it.
(Although because of all of our natural desire to be right and therefore vanquish our foes.
The need to ram words back down throats is what fuels this mess, and why eventually everyone comes out looking bad)
At least there's no game this weekend and the F1 for both of us and egg chasing for you to take our minds off it :(
Oh Jesus wept, it never rains but it pours.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
My God!

Things a really bad when Icy is admitting that we might see the end of Potter if it doesn’t change.

I feel your pain Icy.

This is - ultimately - a results business, and while I am not yet Potter Out, I have been in the past and have always with heavy heart pointed to the results and why we are not getting them. It’s a horrible place to be in.

But, I am hopeful that a good win against Norwich will restore confidence and then we can judge the whole lot of them on the rest of the season.

I think it needs to be contemplated. The Albion tend not to win ‘must win’ games and I have a feeling we just need to write off the remainder of this season and go again in August. Expectations for Norwich will simply lead to disappointment and meltdown.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think it needs to be contemplated. The Albion tend not to win ‘must win’ games and I have a feeling we just need to write off the remainder of this season and go again in August. Expectations for Norwich will simply lead to disappointment and meltdown.

I think the season has been written off already, don't you? But not getting a result against the bottom side would be very poor. You're right, we don't tend to win 'must win' games. This isn't a 'must win' game for the club, but it could be a 'must win' game for GP.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
My God!

I feel your pain Icy.

Well... its the reality.

The Norwich game is huge.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think the season has been written off already, don't you? But not getting a result against the bottom side would be very poor. You're right, we don't tend to win 'must win' games. This isn't a 'must win' game for the club, but it could be a 'must win' game for GP.

Yes. Unfortunately though there is so much precedence in recent seasons for losing to poor teams. Sheffield Utd springs to mind straight away. Exactly the same under Hughton and Potter. What the latter has brought is competing properly against the best teams and we still kind of have that even if we don’t have the points to prove it.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Every home match feels like Groundhog Day. I will have spent almost £300 on parking at The Bridge to avoid fans crammed on P & R buses and I have taken to leaving on the 88th minute to make a marginally quicker exit. If there was any chance of a late rally/fightbacks in the last few minutes, I wouldn't hesitate to stay and add my backing, but there isn't. Steele needs to play against Norwich. We need to break this cycle of defeats and Sanchez looks like a good 90 minutes is beyond him. I'll allow him the inconsistency of comparative youth in goalkeeper terms, but he is making some poor decisions now. I haven't watched it back, but it looked like he had time to get to the ball and clear for the second goal, but fatally hesitated. Maybe it's home supporter paranoia, but the refs seem to give us very little and VAR seems to be switched off at crucial moments. I honestly thought VAR was looking at the possible handball/penalty for us, not offside for the Kane goal. It looked a good shout to me, but no suggestion VAR looked at it. Otherwise yes, a predictably dull night. Spurs contributed nothing apart from the odd break. Their players appeared to be shot regularly before jumping up to carry on again and Kane continually irritated me with his cheating. How the hell he didn't get booked for the most obvious, petulant foul of the match after being robbed by Bissouma is beyond me. Oh no it isn't of course, it was wonderful Harry Kane. All adds to my frustration.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here