Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Dull bus question - 29 from Uckfield on Sat (Burnley)

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
In a change to normal route in, I have the opportunity for a lift that could drop me on the 29 bus route, anywhere on the A26 between The Cock Inn and Uckfield.

Further south is better for the lift giver, so can anyone who usually gets the 29 tell me if the service is ever full north of Lewes? All being well, I'd be on the one that leaves Uckfield bus station at 13.42 and gets to Falmer at 14.15.

The last thing I want is to have a bus just drive past me because it's full, so should I stretch the favour and ask for a drop in Uckfield, or make life easy for them (my preference) and catch it further south and not worry about not being able to get on? Or is perhaps the service half an hour earlier a better bet? (possible, but not as convenient for the lift giver).

Many thanks in advance!

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
You should be ok on a Saturday
But there might be Xmas shoppers heading into the city 🤔 making the bus busier than usual

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I occasionally get the 28 rather than the 29, but I don't think there'd be an issue for either on a Saturday.
I would suggest waiting that bit further south at Earwig Corner so you have double the number of buses coming through if at all possible.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Never had any issues getting on the 28 at that sort of time and I'm sure the 29 has never looked that busy coming through town

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Thanks all.

It does need to be between the Cock Inn and Uckfield, but it sounds as though it should be OK.
Hopefully the Christmas shoppers will be on the earlier services...

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Thanks all.

It does need to be between the Cock Inn and Uckfield, but it sounds as though it should be OK.
Hopefully the Christmas shoppers will be on the earlier services...
Incidentally, I'm having great fun looking at the map trying to work out where you're travelling to/from that produces these particular restrictions.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Incidentally, I'm having great fun looking at the map trying to work out where you're travelling to/from that produces these particular restrictions.
The long winter evenings must just fly by......

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Good luck with that 😂

It's not very exciting I'm afraid.

The Mrs is on a mission with a bunch of errands that will mean a leg of her journey between Palehouse Common and Barcombe.
Her whole round trip will be nearly 2 hours as it is, which is already pushing it with our 2 young kids in the car (6m and 2.5), hence a reluctance to get stuck in a busy town on a detour (Uckfield being just about doable if needed).

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Good luck with that 😂

It's not very exciting I'm afraid.

The Mrs is on a mission with a bunch of errands that will mean a leg of her journey between Palehouse Common and Barcombe.
Her whole round trip will be nearly 2 hours as it is, which is already pushing it with our 2 young kids in the car (6m and 2.5), hence a reluctance to get stuck in a busy town on a detour (Uckfield being just about doable if needed).
I got the Barcombe bit at least, I'll take that.
If I'd successfully deduced any of the other details I should clearly have taken up being Sherlock Holmes.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Oh, busses. I do like that route.

Did any old NSCer get to do the train journey from Lewes to Uckers ?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
WARNING.
You mention between the Cock Inn and Uckfield. Worth noting that some buses go via Isfield and so your best stop would be either Cock Inn standing on the main road or at the crossroads before the turning off to Isfield from Uckfield. Don't stand at the Halfway House stop.

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
Oh, busses. I do like that route.

Did any old NSCer get to do the train journey from Lewes to Uckers ?
I only ever travelled on the bit between Lewes and Barcombe Mills in the early/mid sixties.
Fond memories of the wood/coal burning stove in the waiting room and the oil burning hurricane lamps that the station master would hang up at Barcombe Mills station.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I only ever travelled on the bit between Lewes and Barcombe Mills in the early/mid sixties.
Fond memories of the wood/coal burning stove in the waiting room and the oil burning hurricane lamps that the station master would hang up at Barcombe Mills station.
It went over the High Street. I only recently found that out. Such joy. I want to know exactly where it went over.

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
It went over the High Street. I only recently found that out. Such joy. I want to know exactly where it went over.
It crossed where the pedestrian area is now, approximately where Specsavers/W H Smith shops are situated.
It crossed the Ouse close to where Tesco is now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here