Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Duffy

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The worry is if Duffy becomes unhappy with the situation (if he isn’t already) and is not allowed to move but instead has to start for us for whatever reason and puts in a performance as he did in his last game for Blackburn.

Ireland in the KO play off games for this summer's Euros, 2 games from potential qualification to the finals.

Duffy will think he must be playing regularly to ensure his place in the Ireland defence.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Dunk-Duffy partnership saved us last season. Would go a very long way to doing the same this season, given the chance. Plus, having the battering ram that is Big Shane available at corners might well result in a couple of crucial goals between now and May.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The worry is if Duffy becomes unhappy with the situation (if he isn’t already) and is not allowed to move but instead has to start for us for whatever reason and puts in a performance as he did in his last game for Blackburn.

I know little about how to manage a football club, motivate young millionaires or instill a new footballing philosophy somewhere, but if I was GP I'd be going to Shane and saying something along the lines of

"Look Shane, I've messed up a bit and should have picked you for the last couple of games. We're going 3 at the back for the next few matches and you'll get a start. Put it in for me, do what you can do to play the way I want the team to play and you'll stay in the team. If you still want a move at the end of the season the club will do it's best to get it for you"

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Dunk-Duffy partnership saved us last season. Would go a very long way to doing the same this season, given the chance. Plus, having the battering ram that is Big Shane available at corners might well result in a couple of crucial goals between now and May.

Although maybe consider that we have conceded two more goals this season than at the same stage for last.

I doubt that Duffy is going though. Just can't see it.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I know little about how to manage a football club, motivate young millionaires or instill a new footballing philosophy somewhere, but if I was GP I'd be going to Shane and saying something along the lines of

"Look Shane, I've messed up a bit and should have picked you for the last couple of games. We're going 3 at the back for the next few matches and you'll get a start. Put it in for me, do what you can do to play the way I want the team to play and you'll stay in the team. If you still want a move at the end of the season the club will do it's best to get it for you"

"Potter, are you alright mate? Shane's over there. I'm Yves."

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No. I just think it might help you to learn to stop the scapegoating you all seem to be uniting in right now. How else are you lot going to learn? Barnes clearly hasn't taught you much has he?

Didn't Webster receive constant criticism from some of our fans last night? Coincidence that it's now going on NSC with you all thumbing up each others criticism of him even when it's bullshit like "Barnes and wood were never criticised by our fans how is that related to Webster?" ?

I loved Barnes all the way through, the same with Muzza, have always defended them to the hilt. The Barnes and occasional Muzza haters know little and are also disrespectful to players who banged in the goals, and got us promoted in 2011 as just one example.

I think Duffy is a more than decent PL defender.

I don't post spitefully about Webster, I don't single him out, I want him to succeed.

Finally, l don't get this binary Webster's better than Duffy thing. Either is ready when the other has lost form.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Basically what you're saying then, is that we need to get Lewis Dunk cloned.

That really is what we need. It's been very obvious this season just how much better than our other defenders Dunk is. As good as any of them on the ball and way better at the basics of defending.

Defensively Webster and Burn are a clear level down. Duffy, who under Hughton was Dunk's defensive equal (or even better) is half a step behind. He's hindered by how open we are, Dunk's the only one who has consistently coped with that.

Putting Duffy in the team at the expense of Webster won't change anything defensively as our problems are structural. It's in how we set up to play. Our defensive strength comes from dominating the ball and keeping possession. Unless we fundamentally change that aspect of the game plan to become more compact and less dependent on ball retention Duffy won't be of much use as what we'll gain from his qualities we'll lose from his lack of ability (compared to Webster) on the ball.

With confidence low we're in quite a pickle. Playing so open all the time and with an apparent inability to resist any kind of sustained pressure(or counter attacks) do we try and shore up defensively or with a misfiring attack with Maupay isolated do we double down and throw caution to the wind and say **** it we're going to concede so lets go all out attack and outscore the opposition.

We need to do one or the other I think as right now we look like Huddersfiled last season. Pretty enough on the ball in harmless areas but toothless upfront and soft at the back.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I loved Barnes all the way through, the same with Muzza, have always defended them to the hilt. The Barnes and occasional Muzza haters know little and are also disrespectful to players who banged in the goals, and got us promoted in 2011 as just one example.

I don't post spitefully about Webster, I don't single him out, I want him to succeed.

Finally, l don't get this binary Webster's better than Duffy thing. Either is ready when the other has lost form.

So often agree with what you say and this again is summed up perfectly. Different games may require different approaches, injuries and suspensions will also bite at some point.

I'm sure everybody wants Webster to do well and make judgements about what they see Vs whatever other options could be available.

If staying up came down to keeping a clean sheet in 1 game, how many would pair Webster with Dunk Vs Duffy with Dunk? If we needed a 94th minute goal from a corner to stay up, how many would choose Webster to be up there Vs Duffy? Both would try in both scenarios, fans obviously see it differently!

Barnes was great for us, Chris Wood wasn't as effective (I didn't rate him much at that time) but he was a young kid starting out then, who's gone on to prove at Leeds at Burnley he's a real handful who scores goals. And good luck to him

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
6pm announcement?

Not if they can’t get the telephone socket installed in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

So what positives do you see in Webster? I've only noticed negative stuff about him from you so far. Considering he's only played half a season for us, it's his first season in the top flight and he's only just turned 25 (which is very young for defenders), you've definitely come across as harsh hence why I've brought up Barnes and Wood.

Last edited:

I'm sure I remember beating B'muff a few weeks ago with this combo at the back, shame we changed the winning formula

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here