Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dry socket - ever had one?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 2719

I have recently had a wisdom tooth taken out by my Dentist and i have developed what's known as a "dry socket" from what i understand it is when the socket where the tooth comes from doesn't heal as quickly as it should because the blood clot came out and there are raw nerves etc trying to heal.

It has been very painful and i have had to resort to strong painkillers which i don't usually like to do.I had it done last Friday so it coming up to a week on them now with maybe the slightest improvement.
The swelling around my jaw line is such that i can hardly open my mouth to eat so i have been consuming mainly soup and soft white bread, i am fast getting pissed off with:

1. the pain
2.the tablets
3.the food.

Any advice NS Chatters?

Shall i kill the Dentist?

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Lukewarm salty water rinsed round socket every hour or 2 should get it to heal quicker:shrug:

D

Deleted member 2719

Lukewarm salty water rinsed round socket every hour or 2 should get it to heal quicker:shrug:

Thanks.

I have been doing the Salty water thing after every meal and before bed as the Dentist note said but it might be worth stepping it up some.

Have you had a dry socket don?

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
I've had 2 wisdoms out, but luckily never had a dry socket.
Hope it heals quick for you.:thumbsup:

sticklebrick

Apr 27, 2008
I had one of these a few years ago. I lost my blood clot on a train to Peterborough but didn't realise it until I had swallowed the damn thing. Which was nice! I then spent the next couple of days in agony. I finally went back to the dentist and he packed the socket with some foul clove tasting stuff and the pain went instantly and stayed away until the hole healed. My advice is get yourself to the dentist.

D

Deleted member 2719

I've had 2 wisdoms out, but luckily never had a dry socket.
Hope it heals quick for you.:thumbsup:

I don't no anyone who's had a bad Dry socket yet.

Apparently my dentist had to cut it in two to remove it, he probably went mad with his Black and decker!

Oh well at least i have the Albion to look forward to

:shootself

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
I had one of these a few years ago. I lost my blood clot on a train to Peterborough but didn't realise it until I had swallowed the damn thing. Which was nice! I then spent the next couple of days in agony. I finally went back to the dentist and he packed the socket with some foul clove tasting stuff and the pain went instantly and stayed away until the hole healed. My advice is get yourself to the dentist.

:sick::sick::sick::sick:

D

Deleted member 2719

Lucky you tasty that yummy blood clot i don't know where mine went!

I did go back to the Dentist and he basically just gave me some antibiotics to take and didn't even bother to check it out at all.

I have been told of this method - don't these swabs have to be renewed every 24-48 hours?
Because the problem i have i live a 60 mile round trip from my dentist.

sticklebrick

Apr 27, 2008
Lucky you tasty that yummy blood clot i don't know where mine went!

I did go back to the Dentist and he basically just gave me some antibiotics to take and didn't even bother to check it out at all.

I have been told of this method - don't these swabs have to be renewed every 24-48 hours?
Because the problem i have i live a 60 mile round trip from my dentist.

My dentist never told me the packing needed to be renewed! I seem to remember mine was in for about a week and when it came out I was still pain free.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Bugger. Not a thread I wanted to see on NSC, having just got back from the dentist, with some Amoxicillin and an appointment to have a tooth out next Wednesday. :(

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I have recently had a wisdom tooth taken out by my Dentist and i have developed what's known as a "dry socket" from what i understand it is when the socket where the tooth comes from doesn't heal as quickly as it should because the blood clot came out and there are raw nerves etc trying to heal.

It has been very painful and i have had to resort to strong painkillers which i don't usually like to do.I had it done last Friday so it coming up to a week on them now with maybe the slightest improvement.
The swelling around my jaw line is such that i can hardly open my mouth to eat so i have been consuming mainly soup and soft white bread, i am fast getting pissed off with:

1. the pain
2.the tablets
3.the food.

Any advice NS Chatters?

You have my sympathy, been there, not nice.

D

Deleted member 2719

Bugger. Not a thread I wanted to see on NSC, having just got back from the dentist, with some Amoxicillin and an appointment to have a tooth out next Wednesday. :(

Oh dear,

The full story is i had some pain with the back wisdom tooth and went to the dentist basically he put a filling in the wrong one-once the injection had worn off i realised he had done the wrong side totally:cry:So i went back and he then said i needed a crown costing approx 350 quid so i said can you take it out:shootself.
so yes i saved myself 285 quid and several dentist sessions but IMO never again.

Do you need it pulled?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I had a back tooth out and sucked the blood clot out afterwards whilst brushing my teeth and this caused a dry joint and it was fecking really painful...I went back to the dentist who put some clove solution into the hole and it relieved the pain straight-away.....have you been back to yours ??

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

1. the pain
2.the tablets
3.the food.

Any advice NS Chatters?

Not sure if what I had is called a "dry socket".........but like you, tooth extracted just over 4 weeks ago, and a blood clot fell out...etc etc....back to the dentist who put another swab thingy in..........still bloody painful next day (Saturday).

Finished up seeing emergency nhs dentist in Haywards Heath...(too busy in Lewes, worthing and Crawley), who explained that, because the blood clot wasn,t there, the jawbone was exposed to the element............and that is why it was so painful.

She put loads of swab thingys in.....told me I was very brave...lol........more anti-biotics........and to take strong painkillers until the gum healed over the bone etc etc.............this is the important bit..........she said this would happen within a week to 10 days of the extraction.

She was very informative..........and right..........7 days after the extraction, the pain receded rapidly....and now 4 weeks later......it still feels a bit swollen....but I,m pain-free.

D

Deleted member 2719

I had a back tooth out and sucked the blood clot out afterwards whilst brushing my teeth and this caused a dry joint and it was fecking really painful...I went back to the dentist who put some clove solution into the hole and it relieved the pain straight-away.....have you been back to yours ??

D

Deleted member 2719

Not sure if what I had is called a "dry socket".........but like you, tooth extracted just over 4 weeks ago, and a blood clot fell out...etc etc....back to the dentist who put another swab thingy in..........still bloody painful next day (Saturday).

Finished up seeing emergency nhs dentist in Haywards Heath...(too busy in Lewes, worthing and Crawley), who explained that, because the blood clot wasn,t there, the jawbone was exposed to the element............and that is why it was so painful.

She put loads of swab thingys in.....told me I was very brave...lol........more anti-biotics........and to take strong painkillers until the gum healed over the bone etc etc.............this is the important bit..........she said this would happen within a week to 10 days of the extraction.

She was very informative..........and right..........7 days after the extraction, the pain receded rapidly....and now 4 weeks later......it still feels a bit swollen....but I,m pain-free.

The time scale was concerning me so with 7days coming up tomorrow - i will give it the weekend.

Did you find that your mouth was locked and you could only get a level teaspoon in it? if so how long did this last and when did you feel confident enough to eat more abrasive food cereals etc?

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
anti biotics do not work for dry socket.
this is becaeuse antibiotics work by flowing round in the blood stream, however as a dry socket is basically lack of blood, the antibiotics do not get to the source of the infection.

The socket needs to be irrigated to get the crap out and dressed with something called alvogyl. this is a pack that mimics a blood clot. the body gradually resorbs it, so it does not need to be changed except very occasionally if the pain continues or it is lost.

A dentist that gives antibiotics is basicaly lazy or ill informed, or old.

pm me if you want.

D

Deleted member 2719

you mean your dentist spoke ENGLISH???

Well he is polish but has been over hear for at least 25years.

Oh and he is wealthy strange that hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here