Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Drunk driver kills 2 boys. Dad kills drunk driver. Swift justice served.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Still would have done it, all you are doing is making a point of law and not looking at the emotions. Do you really think a parent would be bothered after losing 2 children needlessly. The age makes a big difference, so what would he serve 6/8 years and still be a young man and maybe go on and make something of himself. No kill him that's the end of it, not be told in years to come while you are still grieving that he is doing very well for himself.

I understand the emotions entirely, but I still don't think that makes the killing just. In the post you replied to I was talking how I'd feel from my point of view and I totally agree that any parent, including myself, would be furious at the man for taking the lives of my children. Drunk or not, I doubt this man was a cold-blooded killer who would have callously shrugged off the deaths of the boys. Doing well for himself? I doubt it, what with a criminal record and the constant guilt for what he had done. And in any case, does this driver really deserve a death sentence for this mistake? I believe we are diametrically opposed in the sense that you think that revenge killing is okay and I disagree, I think we should just agree to disagree as we are going in circles!

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I understand the emotions entirely, but I still don't think that makes the killing just. In the post you replied to I was talking how I'd feel from my point of view and I totally agree that any parent, including myself, would be furious at the man for taking the lives of my children. Drunk or not, I doubt this man was a cold-blooded killer who would have callously shrugged off the deaths of the boys. Doing well for himself? I doubt it, what with a criminal record and the constant guilt for what he had done. And in any case, does this driver really deserve a death sentence for this mistake? I believe we are diametrically opposed in the sense that you think that revenge killing is okay and I disagree, I think we should just agree to disagree as we are going in circles!

Doing well for himself ? I doubt it, what with a criminal record.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_McCormick

It's hard to get a job, what with a criminal record.
What sort of sentence do you think parents have? It's about justice and if killing 2 children means a 4 year sentence, then there is something wrong. That's not justice.

Last edited:

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Doing well for himself ? I doubt it, what with a criminal record.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_McCormick

It's hard to get a job, what with a criminal record.
What sort of sentence do you think parents have? It's about justice and if killing 2 children means a 4 year sentence, then there is something wrong. That's not justice.

He wasn't a footballer though was he. As far as we know he didn't have the luxury of a talent to fall back on and a sport/industry that is known to possess questionable morals in the pursuit of success. If you're angry at the length of sentence handed out then blame the justice system. Doesn't mean you or the family could go and kill McCormick for not serving a long enough term. In your eyes, is there no chance or allowance for redemption on the part of the perpetrator?

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Justice? 3 youngsters all were killed. The driver would of still been at school!

Sad enough that 2 boys were killed but for a 3rd to get murdered is just awful. I hope the drivers family can deal with this.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Still would have done it, all you are doing is making a point of law and not looking at the emotions. Do you really think a parent would be bothered after losing 2 children needlessly. The age makes a big difference, so what would he serve 6/8 years and still be a young man and maybe go on and make something of himself. No kill him that's the end of it, not be told in years to come while you are still grieving that he is doing very well for himself.

And if the father of the driver shot and killed the guy who killed his son - would that be OK? - if not why not, after all the shooting was a deliberate killing the death of the two children accidental.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
And if the father of the driver shot and killed the guy who killed his son - would that be OK? - if not why not, after all the shooting was a deliberate killing the death of the two children accidental.

How do you work out accidental? Did the driver accidentally go out and get drunk, then did he accidentally drive his car. Maybe the dad got a gun and it went off accidentally, I mean most Americans have guns. Maybe he could have said it was an accident.
No difference having a loaded gun or a having a car that you are incapable of handling. At the end of the day, most people would understand what the dad did, they may not agree with it. Again having lost 2 children do you really think that a parent would be that bothered what happened to them. I am honest enough to say that if it happened to me, do not think I would be able to control my anger and the want to do harm to that person.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
He wasn't a footballer though was he. As far as we know he didn't have the luxury of a talent to fall back on and a sport/industry that is known to possess questionable morals in the pursuit of success. If you're angry at the length of sentence handed out then blame the justice system. Doesn't mean you or the family could go and kill McCormick for not serving a long enough term. In your eyes, is there no chance or allowance for redemption on the part of the perpetrator?

I think it's very easy to talk about redemption from a distance. Maybe you should ask the parents of children who have been killed, i am sure you would not get the answer you want.

Last edited:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Wasn't there a case in Kent ( i think) where a lorry driver had run down and killed a youngster. The driver only had one eye, and no license, so the lads Dad went after him with a shotgun, shot and wounded him, then gave himself up. The jury at the trial found the Father not guilty. I think I would have done as well

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
How do you work out accidental? Did the driver accidentally go out and get drunk, then did he accidentally drive his car. Maybe the dad got a gun and it went off accidentally, I mean most Americans have guns. Maybe he could have said it was an accident.
No difference having a loaded gun or a having a car that you are incapable of handling. At the end of the day, most people would understand what the dad did, they may not agree with it. Again having lost 2 children do you really think that a parent would be that bothered what happened to them. I am honest enough to say that if it happened to me, do not think I would be able to control my anger and the want to do harm to that person.

You haven't answered the question though - would you be just as 'understanding' if the father of the young man who was shot went round and killed the guy who'd shot him.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I think it's very easy to talk about redemption from a distance. Maybe you should ask the parents of children who have been killed, i am sure you would not get the answer you want.

I do not "want" an answer that conforms to my opinion on the subject. I appreciate everyone feels differently. However, you seem to have taken the stance that every close family member of a murder victim will at the very least wish for violent retribution. I strongly doubt this is the case.

You speak of me talking about redemption from a distance. Where in my post did I say the families SHOULD forgive the perpetrator? I would never be arrogant enough to dictate how bereaved families should feel towards the man/woman who has caused the death of a loved one. I asked you, in your opinion, whether they (the perp) could ever be allowed the chance to live out their lives trying to right the wrongs they have caused.

Must they always be made to pay the ultimate price?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The trouble with vigilante justice and the people that want to dispense it is that they are not always right. I suspect the rent a mob in Bristol would quite happily have attacked the landlord of Joanna Yeates just because he was questioned by the Police and painted out to be a major suspect by some of the national press.

D

Deleted User X18H

I would imagine current Plymouth Argyle goal keeper Luck McCormick sleeps with one eye open.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I do not "want" an answer that conforms to my opinion on the subject. I appreciate everyone feels differently. However, you seem to have taken the stance that every close family member of a murder victim will at the very least wish for violent retribution. I strongly doubt this is the case.

You speak of me talking about redemption from a distance. Where in my post did I say the families SHOULD forgive the perpetrator? I would never be arrogant enough to dictate how bereaved families should feel towards the man/woman who has caused the death of a loved one. I asked you, in your opinion, whether they (the perp) could ever be allowed the chance to live out their lives trying to right the wrongs they have caused.

Must they always be made to pay the ultimate price?

Why do you not answer the question, if Jimmy Saville was still alive, should he be forgiven if he served his time, Rolf Harris, Gary Glitter.
Or are you going to choose who you can forgive or can not.
Are you going to say its different when it comes to those sort of crimes. It's very easy to say let people right their wrongs, when it's not you they have wronged.

Last edited:

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
You haven't answered the question though - would you be just as 'understanding' if the father of the young man who was shot went round and killed the guy who'd shot him.

I think I have answered your question, if my children were killed, I think I would want to kill that person who was responsible. Would I be bothered if I was killed by that persons father? Having lost 2 children, is there anything else to lose. Not saying its right to take an eye for an eye. But I am not self righteous enough to tell a parent who has watched 2 children die in front of them, what's right or wrong to do in that circumstance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here