Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Drop in Brighton Day Visitors (Rise in Overnights)

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Day 2 - http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/14796293.City_must_clean_up_its_act_to_attract_more_visitors/

I think the obsession with parking charges is a mistake, only public transport can help here - More people in cars = More traffic, more queues and people not returning.

Quite. The opening line reads like a fact from an expert, whereas in reality it's an opinion from a Tory councillor with his own political bias, and believing that the city is going to hell in a handcart.

"BRIGHTON and Hove needs tidying up, cheaper parking, better public transport and less seafront roadworks to win back the almost one million day trippers lost."

So here's the converse opinion as to why his statement is really just grandstanding. Let's look at those four...

1. It probably could do with a bit of a tidy up. But that's what happens when 9m visitors come in each year - it gets used. But then, the street cleaners are out every day. Daytrippers themselves could do worse than taking their rubbish with them off the beach and so on. But it's not as though it's a rubbish tip 24/7.

2. Cheaper parking is missing the point spectacularly. Traders in North Laine, for example don't want cheaper parking. Cheaper parking means less of a turnover of footfall, as drivers. The fact that motorists are still filling up the car parks implies that necessity over-rides the concerns of costs. If he wants to find another direct revenue stream from his own party's horrific cuts in local authority spending, let's hear it. Additionally, it is utter madness to encourage more motorists into the centre of Brighton. He really hasn't thought that one through.

Don't forget, aside from car parking charges, motorists don't add to the economy of the city. They only do so when they get out and become pedestrians.

3. Public transport is expensive in Brighton & Hove for a single journey, but much better value for mulitple journeys. If that's his point, it's not unreasonable. However, the public transport network is extensive; bus journeys are frequent, and cover most of the city - and certainly the centre. If he's talking about the trains, then get his own party in goverrnment to stop wrecking the network.

4. If the seafront road needs repairing, it needs repairing.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I was in Harrogate yesterday, puts Brighton to shame. Great old well kept buildings, the top shops all have outlets there. Loads of restaurants. The council take pride in the lawns, plants and shrubbery etc. The place is CLEAN. With it's high car park charges and poor shops I don't think Brighton does itself any favours, and it is tatty and unkempt at the moment.

Brighton has 'poor shops'...?

In North Laine, Brighton has one of the most innovative areas in the country for independent shops selling a wide variety of stuff. It's one of the city's most popular tourist destinations, and something the tourist board shouts about to attract people in. The nearby car parks are pretty much always full.

So that argument doesn't really stack up.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Quite. The opening line reads like a fact from an expert, whereas in reality it's an opinion from a Tory councillor with his own political bias, and believing that the city is going to hell in a handcart.

"BRIGHTON and Hove needs tidying up, cheaper parking, better public transport and less seafront roadworks to win back the almost one million day trippers lost."

So here's the converse opinion as to why his statement is really just grandstanding. Let's look at those four...

1. It probably could do with a bit of a tidy up. But that's what happens when 9m visitors come in each year - it gets used. But then, the street cleaners are out every day. Daytrippers themselves could do worse than taking their rubbish with them off the beach and so on. But it's not as though it's a rubbish tip 24/7.

2. Cheaper parking is missing the point spectacularly. Traders in North Laine, for example don't want cheaper parking. Cheaper parking means less of a turnover of footfall, as drivers. The fact that motorists are still filling up the car parks implies that necessity over-rides the concerns of costs. If he wants to find another direct revenue stream from his own party's horrific cuts in local authority spending, let's hear it. Additionally, it is utter madness to encourage more motorists into the centre of Brighton. He really hasn't thought that one through.

Don't forget, aside from car parking charges, motorists don't add to the economy of the city. They only do so when they get out and become pedestrians.

3. Public transport is expensive in Brighton & Hove for a single journey, but much better value for mulitple journeys. If that's his point, it's not unreasonable. However, the public transport network is extensive; bus journeys are frequent, and cover most of the city - and certainly the centre. If he's talking about the trains, then get his own party in goverrnment to stop wrecking the network.

4. If the seafront road needs repairing, it needs repairing.

1. Partially agree, I do think it looks very scruffy some times, especially arriving at the station

2. Couldn't agree more

3. Yeah, the issue really is about getting in and out, it's a relatively small city and walking should be the main option. More pedestrianisation would be ideal!

4. Of course, and what and odd point to try and make.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
There's no pedantry involved - I'm merely stating a fact about visitor numbers.

Gawd knows what your opinion of driving along the seafront has to do with anything.

So I guess my issue is that I have no idea what you're on about.

Stop giving it the large one, you are clearly a dick whether you use your personal NSC account or not. I said "and" driving through.

Last edited:

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I said "and" driving through.

So you did. My mistake.

Doesn't change the fact that you still haven't made a clear, coherent point, despite four or five attempts. What is your issue? You seem to have one.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Brighton has 'poor shops'...?

In North Laine, Brighton has one of the most innovative areas in the country for independent shops selling a wide variety of stuff. It's one of the city's most popular tourist destinations, and something the tourist board shouts about to attract people in. The nearby car parks are pretty much always full.

So that argument doesn't really stack up.

"Does not stack up". I believe it does. Harrogate has plenty of independent shops, ones that "quirky" North Lines would love, it also has the exclusive shops. I suppose Brighton having a big proportion of Crusties would find the shops on North Laine more to their taste.
I was very suprised looking around Harrogate, an eye opener, same as passing rapidly (thank god) through Bradford.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here