Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Drone strike in Syria

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
The wider issue is Cameron bypassing Parliament to authorise taking military action, based on intelligence that HE saw that warned of "an imminent threat to the UK".

That sounds somehow familiar...

All I heard mentioned yesterday was a "direct" threat.

I listened out patiently for someone, anyone, to use the word "imminent". Nobody did.

???

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Oh dear, What is the problem...these ( BRITISH?) terrorist are quite happy to betray their country and the last time I looked being a traitor was the only crime that still legally carries the death penalty ( Although it wouldn't be carried out in todays wishy washy society). They stated that they wanted to lay down their lives for Allah...Hey ,wish granted,may you and all your brothers enjoy paradise...I've been there and your in for a huge disappointment...there isn't 72 virgins for you now...when are you lot going to get into your heads that we don't want Shia law or any of your trappings in the UK...YOU WANT THAT WAY OF LIFE...GO TO THE COUNTRIES THAT WANT TO LIVE THAT WAY ! Do I weep for the terrorist deaths....NOPE,Hope there is more to come.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
A poignant image, but this country doesn't chain itself to past military misjudgments - Gallipoli, Dunkirk, whatever.

It's like the 'trolley' moral dilemma - do you kill one to save five? Only this time, we get to flip the switch and the trolley changes course and kills the Jihadi who joined ISIS. ISIS! For goodness sake! I joined sports teams at his age - he made his choice.

Lives are in danger and Cameron has a decision to make. Kill them there or kill/capture/imprison them here.

I can live with honest misjudgments. The deception and manipulation to fool us into going to Iraq is an insult to our nation/s and what the West is supposed to represent. Unfortunately ISIS is just a symptom not the disease. Until Bush and Blair are held accountable for their actions we will be infected with their virus.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
What I get angry about is the headlines about 2 Britains killed in Drone attack. If they are in Syria fighting for the IS,then they relinquish their citizenship and are terrorists.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
All I heard mentioned yesterday was a "direct" threat.

I listened out patiently for someone, anyone, to use the word "imminent". Nobody did.

???

The deaths were in August and then "imminent" were anniversaries of the 2nd world war .It has been suggested that troops, police and the Queen were targets whilst at various ceremonies.

OGH's Libido

Nov 30, 2014
I can live with honest misjudgments. The deception and manipulation to fool us into going to Iraq is an insult to our nation/s and what the West is supposed to represent. Unfortunately ISIS is just a symptom not the disease. Until Bush and Blair are held accountable for their actions we will be infected with their virus.

I agree your last sentence but cannot go along with the rest of it.

I got a little lost following your medical lexicon - could you clear up what/who the disease is and what/who the virus is?

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Personally, I don't really give a toss about anyone that goes out to join ISIS. Just a bunch of facist gangsters in my book.

However, I do feel a little uncomfortable about our government bumping off its own citizens, based on intelligence that we know can be flawed, or an extra judicial execution, as its also known.

OK no one is going to miss these individuals, but could this be something open to abuse??

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Personally, I don't really give a toss about anyone that goes out to join ISIS. Just a bunch of facist gangsters in my book.

However, I do feel a little uncomfortable about our government bumping off its own citizens, based on intelligence that we know can be flawed, or an extra judicial execution, as its also known.

OK no one is going to miss these individuals, but could this be something open to abuse??

It certainly paves the way dunnit.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I agree your last sentence but cannot go along with the rest of it.

I got a little lost following your medical lexicon - could you clear up what/who the disease is and what/who the virus is?

The viral disease, in part, is in the section you don't agree with. Not sure if it is worth me expanding on it, but I will try. It's the injustice, double standards and expecting other leaders to be held accountable whilst Blair & Bush go off and do the ice bucket challenge. This contradiction feeds the ISIS propaganda so it’s a psychological disease. Holding our leaders accountable is essential to regain some moral high ground.

Bush & Blair hundreds of thousands of innocent people and children accidently killed in an act of aggression is called collateral damage. Assad hundreds of thousands accidently killed in an act of defense is called slaughter.

Assad is evil and Bush and Blair are angelic depending on what narrative we choose to believe.

Last edited:

OGH's Libido

Nov 30, 2014
The viral disease, in part, is in the section you don't agree with. Not sure if it is worth me expanding on it, but I will try. It's the injustice, double standards and expecting other leaders to be held accountable whilst Blair & Bush go off and do the ice bucket challenge. This contradiction feeds the ISIS propaganda so it’s a psychological disease. Holding our leaders accountable is essential to regain some moral high ground.

Bush & Blair hundreds of thousands of innocent people and children accidently killed in an act of aggression is called collateral damage. Assad hundreds of thousands accidently killed in an act of defense is called slaughter.

Assad is evil and Bush and Blair are angelic depending on what narrative we read.

Thanks for expanding on it.

I agree with you on the importance of holding our leaders to account. I guess we all await the Chilcot enquiry publication. I would add that the Blair/Bush narrative is probably only really of use to ISIS to stir up trouble in Europe. ISIS has so many local enemies (Shia, Christian, Alawite, moderate Sunnis...) on its doorstep that I cant see the Blair/Bush thing being necessary fuel the fire.

What I would say with more conviction is that there is a massive moral difference between Bush, Blair and Assad: Blair didn't ask British troops to systematically kill non-combatants (now there's an Orwellian word for 'people' right there!) whereas Assad is.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Thanks for expanding on it.

I agree with you on the importance of holding our leaders to account. I guess we all await the Chilcot enquiry publication. I would add that the Blair/Bush narrative is probably only really of use to ISIS to stir up trouble in Europe. ISIS has so many local enemies (Shia, Christian, Alawite, moderate Sunnis...) on its doorstep that I cant see the Blair/Bush thing being necessary fuel the fire.

What I would say with more conviction is that there is a massive moral difference between Bush, Blair and Assad: Blair didn't ask British troops to systematically kill non-combatants (now there's an Orwellian word for 'people' right there!) whereas Assad is.

The Bush Blair war was key to the rise of ISIS.

Assad has been attacking areas where the rebel groups are launching their attacks as we did in Iraq and as Israel do in Gaza causing civilians deaths. The difference with Bush/Blair and Assad is that he is fighting ISIS and another 10 fragmenting rebel groups who are also fighting each other in his own country. He is now fighting for his Alawite people who would be slaughtered along with the Christians if he didn't.

If he goes ISIS will take over Syria so he and us has a lot at stake. He is far more justified in his actions than Blair and Bush ever were especially considering ISIS arose from the Iraq war.

But as I said it depends on the narrative we choose to believe.

Last edited:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I'm British --- born in a tiny flat on Marine Parade.
From there to St Mary Magdelene St.
Onto Ridge View Coldean.
My flat in Station Road Preston Park.
Then onto Widdicombe Way for the last twenty five years.
These scumbags have no right to be described as British.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Rather a drone than one of our RAF planes just think what they would do to our pilot if the plane was shot down.
I wish the various parties would have Private discussion as does not help us arguing in Public and try and score cheap points.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
They went over there of there own free will so had to be prepared to pay the consequences I'm afraid. If they can't take the heat just don't step into the fire

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here