Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Driving while wearing headphones/earphones? Dodgy?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
To speak on their mobile hands free?
Do they not have bluetooth for God's sake?!

Seriously, when I had an old skool car if I had to make/take a call I pulled over and put it on speaker or let it go to voicemail and called them back.

No need.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Read the whole of the post. It was a joke about having/not having a decent car. And I pointed out that there's no need for headphones either way!

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Sir Alec Isigonis, in designing the Mini, launched in 1959, did not allow an aperture in the dash for a radio, saying they would distract drivers from the road

I've seen quite a few drivers recently, including ones driving LGVs, with earphones in both ears, and a guy the other day driving a car with full headphones on ???

This is shirley a safety issue, as they couldn't hear blues and twos from emergency vehicles, or shouts from pedestrians in a safety critical situation ???

Also, how do they gauge the revs of the engine when pulling away etc., not to mention any warning buzzers from the dash, or the brakes grinding if the pads are shot ???

It can't be all gauged from the instruments ???

Thoughts?

It's not safe. Also cyclists who wear headphones are just as bad.
I have experienced a potential answer to the problem myself. Headphones that don't go in your ears! You hear the music through bone conduction. Strange experience listening to load music through headphones but hearing everything around you. Apparently they are used by the military. Cost about £50 upwards.

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
I am quite surprised that deaf people are allowed to drive. Am I right in thinking that it is a legal requirement to have a functioning horn in your car? If so, it is totally useless as a safety feature if there are some drivers who cannot hear it (whether deaf or wearing headphones/radio too loud).

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
How do you think motorcyclists manage with helmets on?
You can still hear with a motorcycle helmet on. The twits who listen to their i-pod via earphones mind, and the advice that we should all wear earplugs to avoid wind noise :facepalm:

Wind noise or accident at high speed due to not hearing other traffic? Mmmmm.....

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I am astounded as to how many people cycle without wearing a helmet. Seperate topic, clearly.

I encountered two kids, possibly 12 and 7, cycling about Burgess Hill. No apparent understading of road safety and no helmets on either of them. Cracking parenting.

As per the cycling thread I landed on my head at 20mph yesterday and would be in hospital at best if I hadn't had a helmet on. First time it's ever happened but it's certainly made wearing a helmet seem worthwhile!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Whilst sitting on a coach, I have witnessed lorry drivers on the motorway with newspapers on their steering wheels. I thinking looking at the road is far more important than listening to music.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I am quite surprised that deaf people are allowed to drive. Am I right in thinking that it is a legal requirement to have a functioning horn in your car? If so, it is totally useless as a safety feature if there are some drivers who cannot hear it (whether deaf or wearing headphones/radio too loud).

Deaf drivers should have stickers on their car to indicate they are deaf/ hard of hearing.
It would save all the effort of sounding your horn if the deaf driver cut you up, if the sticker was shown you can just give them a hand signal :wanker: :p

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Whilst sitting on a coach, I have witnessed lorry drivers on the motorway with newspapers on their steering wheels. I thinking looking at the road is far more important than listening to music.

When you are on a coach TB have you looked down on car drivers to see how many are actually using mobile phones?
I was on a coach going to London and we were in slow traffic and I saw so many drivers either using phones or eating, some drivers looked like they were texting.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
As per the cycling thread I landed on my head at 20mph yesterday and would be in hospital at best if I hadn't had a helmet on. First time it's ever happened but it's certainly made wearing a helmet seem worthwhile!

Hope you are ok?

My brother in law was riding his bike on cycle lane in Eastbourne, he wasn't wearing a helmet and cannot remember the accident he had, but a witness said a dog ran out in front of him and he came off his bike and landed on his head.
He woke up in hospital with his head stitched up, he had no other injuries from the accident, thankfully he made a full recovery.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

This-no matter how proficient a cyclist one may be,an incident such as a vehicle coming towards you too fast could cause one to take evasive action to avoid serious injury or even death,the resulting fall could be awkward and involve a head injury...it would be foolhardy not to wear one-

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Sir Alec Isigonis, in designing the Mini, launched in 1959, did not allow an aperture in the dash for a radio, saying they would distract drivers from the road

I've seen quite a few drivers recently, including ones driving LGVs, with earphones in both ears, and a guy the other day driving a car with full headphones on ???

This is shirley a safety issue, as they couldn't hear blues and twos from emergency vehicles, or shouts from pedestrians in a safety critical situation ???

Also, how do they gauge the revs of the engine when pulling away etc., not to mention any warning buzzers from the dash, or the brakes grinding if the pads are shot ???

It can't be all gauged from the instruments ???

Thoughts?

So should the deaf be banned from driving for the same reasons you list above? - If they or people with headphones in are playing attention to whats going on around by using their mirrors (which a lot of drivers don't) they watch for vehicles going around a roundabout and not just pull out because the cars have stopped entering the roundabout from their right and so on. then they are probably safer than most inattentive drivers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here