Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Driving to South France/Spain

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Agree with much of the above: personally I'd pay the extra for the motorways, the RNs can be very stressful compared to them. Even on major routes French motorways can be deserted compared to the UK, unless you happen to catch the beginning or end of a major holiday and even then it's not that bad. I did from Inigo Calderon's Basque homeland to Dieppe in about 11-12 hours at the end of a summer weekend and the traffic at the toll booths was horrendous. And yes, don't go anywhere near the peripherique unless you have to.

generation x

its in the blood
Nov 24, 2007
I would always stick to the motorways & pay the tolls. We go Pompey Caen on the ferry. Only problems are getting around Bordeaux which can be a nightmare and the most Southern run into Spain sometimes turns into a car park as it can get stuffed with lorries.

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
As advised stick to the motorways & pay the tolls, don't drive down over the 1st weekend in August (all the French drive south for their holibobs on this weekend), do drive over the Millau Viaduct if you get the chance.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
About half hour south of Alicante, so just weighing up options of where to get ferry/eurostar from/to to try and keep cost down but also not spend an eternity getting there. Going to have my young lad with us aswell so am going to need to break it down into relatively small chunks of driving so was looking to take 3 days or so getting there.

Plymouth or portsmouth to Santander or Bilbao,.... I have done both several times,.... it really breaks that drive, the ferry from Plymouth is midday to midday,... so you get a good sleep,... and get off in time for lunch and about 400 miles,...... much better, take it from me, I have done the france bit too,... its a killer,...... you can knock off 400 miles in two leisurely 3 hour chunks.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
do drive over the Millau Viaduct if you get the chance.

worth the decision to drive rather than fly for this alone - drove across it a couple of years ago at dawn and it was the most immense visual experience.................

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
About half hour south of Alicante, so just weighing up options of where to get ferry/eurostar from/to to try and keep cost down but also not spend an eternity getting there. Going to have my young lad with us aswell so am going to need to break it down into relatively small chunks of driving so was looking to take 3 days or so getting there.

That puts you close to the earthquake region, hope you are not going soon.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We are driving to Portugal and like some have suggested I have been looking at Mappy.com which gives you the route, fuel cost time etc either with or without using the toll roads. We are mixing it using some tolls and some N roads.

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
We drive to Avignon quite regularly. The Peage can be pricey, but driving through France is great. You can mix up and drive on the RNs also, and the service stations are much better than uk.

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
As above Mappy is something we have always used. Even included speed cameras last time I used it. The times are fairly close but of course depend on optimal traffic conditions.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
My advice would be to use the A75 for part of your journey - from Clermont-Ferrand down to west of Montpellier.

Pretty sure you only have to pay to go over Millau viaduct, otherwise no toll to use a much quieter motorway than the one through Burgundy and Rhone Valley.

Really scenic area, too.

Would not recommend driving too much on Routes Nationales (equivalent of our A roads). Much slower.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Remember fuel is cheaper in Spain [diesel currently 1.23 euros/litre] so don't fill up in France near the border where it is expensive. Have done Santander - Madrid - Malaga twice & vice versa, only motorway toll around Bornos & that is easily missed. Spanish motorways are fabulous to drive [well compared to my old life on the English ones], largely empty but be warned the speed limit has been reduced recently to 110kms/hour & the Guardia have been instructed by the government to collect as many fines as possible. Few speed cameras but they look totally different to the UK, being grey in colour & squat in shape. Ventas abound every few miles & continue to be amazing value for refreshments. Enjoy the journey & be safe.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
May seem a silly question but not intended as so, but how do you know before entering them which toll roads are free which are pay. How can I plan a route and obtain that information now. I am mainly concerned with the route Pau to Calais which according to mappy.com shows 1040km of motorway and most are free but the remaing 200km costs about Eu67.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
May seem a silly question but not intended as so, but how do you know before entering them which toll roads are free which are pay. How can I plan a route and obtain that information now. I am mainly concerned with the route Pau to Calais which according to mappy.com shows 1040km of motorway and most are free but the remaing 200km costs about Eu67.

The have big blue signs with the word Péage.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria

I use viamichelin.co.uk. They will give you the cost of the journey in terms of motorway tolls. You can search for the quickest or most economical route.

I don't think you'd be able to get to within 200kms of Pau toll-free - unless you use the Routes Nationales (A-road equivalents) which will take you several hours longer.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sorry couldnt copy & paste cos I dont know how to do it with multiple items but from Mappy.com

Pau to Calais using tolls 1035km of which 1006km is motorway tolls Eu67.40 time 9hrs 28 mins.

Avoiding tolls 1032km of which 887km are motorway but time is 13hrs 33 mins.

How can I plan a route using the 887 km of free motorway and the minimal amount of pay motorway but avoiding the extra 4 hrs. I dont mind and extra 1 - 1 .5 hrs but 4 hours is a bit much.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Agree with suggestion of ferry to Caen and then down the western side. Had to do this as a one way trip back from Elche (just south of Alicante) during the ash chaos last year and tolls weren't too heavy. Also once you get into Spain the motorway through the middle of the country past Zaragoza is deserted, even in the high season. I've also done the drive down from Perpignan past Barcelona and in summer it's flooded with mad French and Italian tourists driving at 160kph right up your bumper. Stay away from the Spanish east coast as long as you can though you'll eventually have to join the throng near Valencia - but you'll only be about 2 hours from your destination by then

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here