Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Driving Instructors

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Sorry, I should have mentioned that! I live in Hove.

Well whatever instructor you go for PLEASE tell them to stay away from Hangleton - it's ridiculous when you drive down one road and bump into 8 or 9 learners all using the same area ( and that's not counting the HGV learners !!!! ).

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
I have been looking into learning to drive in the next few months and I have been browsing through a lot of companies and people, but thought I'd open it up to NSC to get some first hand experience. Anyone you can recommend? Anyone on here a driving instructor themselves?

Thanks in advance for any replies!
Mike Mounce - LDC Hangleton based £22p/h (I think)
He's brilliant. Got me through my test first time and in only 12 lessons

Embrace

Oct 28, 2011
I went with the last year AA and could not fault them. You get free breakdown cover for the first year after you pass and then 50% off the next year as well.

I would say do 2 hours for sure. I'm in Lewes and the test centre is Burgess Hill so if you only did an hour, you would only have around 10 minutes doing test routes etc. I paid in bulk and it was £22.50 per hour I think.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
I passed just last month in Burgess Hill, which was relatively simple compared to Crawley which is a horrible test route in terms of massive roundabouts etc. Would recommend taking your test there, I mean I passed first time so can't be too hard with my clumsy feet.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
I learnt with BSM and passed. But I would avoid them like the plague. All about the dollar and my instructor drunk cans and cans of red bull to stay alert but my word he was on a one way ticket to a heart attack which I could see happening during a lesson.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Used to cost me 18 quid an hour and that was getting on for ten years ago now.

Still, nothing compared to the price of actually running a car nowadays.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Had five lessons aged 18 and passed first time. I had driven the works van for a year before tho. 38 years later, never had a crash but seen loads:mad:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I'm learning at the moment, paying £21 a lesson. Passed theory first time and on course to pass the practical in a few weeks too.

Won't be driving myself though, as I can't afford the insurance - been quoted £6,000 for a Clio !!!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
A lot of learners learn to drive,pass their test...then forget a lot of what they were taught....many drivers pull over to the right to turn left. A lot of drivers never look to see what is behind them,forget indicators are there to show their intentions...and I'm finding now that some idiots stop on a roundabout to let cars out....but there again I'm a miserable ol git!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here