Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Driving and using hand held phones

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Really? I've been in that situation quite a few times (although not at the supermarket) with my mrs, and I don't even drive. I also have the spare key on my set of keys in-case she losses or forgets her's somewhere. So does that mean I could be technically done?

It's possible. In the case I quoted the bloke already had 3 points. Add the mandatory 10 for Drunk in Charge and he got a disqualification. I thought OB were being a bit picky in that situation, could have just told him to turn it off and given him a bit of advice; unfortunately sometimes, for reasons best known to themselves, they report people.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The difference is, you don't interact with the radio.

But I am interacting with it. Ok it ignores me, but I'm still interacting. And crucially I'm thinking about the programme and not concentrating 100% on driving.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Still find it a little contradictory that it is ok to look at a radio or a sat nav or to adjust the settings of your car etc on the centre screen whilst driving. Anything that distracts you could be argued as being as bad as a phone no?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Having read the entire thread of posts I am now looking forward to future threads of disgruntled people who will be 'nicked' at some point. Just leave your f-ing phone alone whilst driving.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Going to away games on the coach, means you sit level with lorry drivers, on the motorways. I've seen truck drivers with a newspaper spread over their steering wheel, charging down the lane at 65 mph. I wish the overhead cameras would pick these out as well.

If they are then their Tacho's will be showing speed traces,possibly resulting in fines anyway.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Still find it a little contradictory that it is ok to look at a radio or a sat nav or to adjust the settings of your car etc on the centre screen whilst driving. Anything that distracts you could be argued as being as bad as a phone no?

AA expert said this morning that just a single touch of the satnav is allowed.

A far cry from rummaging through Facebook/Safari pages or looking down at the small phone screen to text many characters. Massive distractions whilst 'driving' a 1.5 tonne missile.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
If they are then their Tacho's will be showing speed traces,possibly resulting in fines anyway.

Most truck and coach companies have tracker units fitted to their vehicles, which detect most of the driver / vehicle habits.
Braking, speeding, idling etc......
The AA and RAC use such devices.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Most truck and coach companies have tracker units fitted to their vehicles, which detect most of the driver / vehicle habits.
Braking, speeding, idling etc......
The AA and RAC use such devices.

Harsh braking,that's another trace that registers and if you pull out in front of me and cause an accident,under the microscope so to speak,they can even tell if i was changing gear (brief lost momentum)or breaking,even if my foot had come off the throttle for a slight moment..

Even the hand held PDA are tracked,if it strays too far from the vehicle,meaning no more visiting dorris at the bakery of a lunchtime type of thing.

They know where and when i am at all times-

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Harsh braking,that's another trace that registers and if you pull out in front of me and cause an accident,under the microscope so to speak,they can even tell if i was changing gear (brief lost momentum)or breaking,even if my foot had come off the throttle for a slight moment..

Even the hand held PDA are tracked,if it strays too far from the vehicle,meaning no more visiting dorris at the bakery of a lunchtime type of thing.

They know where and when i am at all times-

They must have their reasons :wink:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
They must have their reasons :wink:

It's all KPI's and performance,all about shareholders and their EPS....ensuring a wonderful customer experience first time every time.... at as little as cost as possible.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It's all KPI's and performance,all about shareholders and their EPS....ensuring a wonderful customer experience first time every time.... at as little as cost as possible.

We've got that where I work, they are customer feedback forms with three faces, basically like the seven dwarfs happy, grumpy and pissed off. :)

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
We've got that where I work, they are customer feedback forms with three faces, basically like the seven dwarfs happy, grumpy and pissed off. :)

:lolol: true,i wonder if they are taking note of the new rules on hand held use at the wheel too.....

Personally 6 points is a big hit,it makes me wonder if the 12 point limit on the license will increase as time goes by to compensate..

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
IMHO by far the more dangerous activity is looking at the screen of the phone. As a motorcyclist, I've faced 3 incidents in the last year where an oncoming car has drifted way over the centerline, the driver gazing down, presumably at a phone screen. In all three cases (just), the driver has looked up in time to swerve back into their lane. I realise this activity is just as illegal as having the phone clamped to your ear, but I think this should be emphasized more in the press coverage / safety information. In reality, the driver talking on the phone is rarely the problem. Its the ones checking missed calls and texts that are the bigger menace.

Having read the entire thread of posts I am now looking forward to future threads of disgruntled people who will be 'nicked' at some point. Just leave your f-ing phone alone whilst driving.

This.

The only time I use my phone while driving is when I'm pissed and need to get directions if I forget the way home.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
:lolol: true,i wonder if they are taking note of the new rules on hand held use at the wheel too.....

Personally 6 points is a big hit,it makes me wonder if the 12 point limit on the license will increase as time goes by to compensate..

More points than Palarse anyway :p

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Those tempted to use their phone whilst driving should be aware that there are groups of people who are banded together to report you. True that initial report to the police may result in no action BUT it is registered on the police computer. If you subsequently get nicked and try to deny it you will be buggered if someone has already reported you doing it before. Be warned.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Those tempted to use their phone whilst driving should be aware that there are groups of people who are banded together to report you. True that initial report to the police may result in no action BUT it is registered on the police computer. If you subsequently get nicked and try to deny it you will be buggered if someone has already reported you doing it before. Be warned.

I once scratched my ear,was reported and told to either change my driving style or not to use the phone at the wheel basically,it stayed on the records for 12 months,so yes people are out there and do report use and in my case alleged use too..

My phone records for the day of the incident showed i made and received NO calls that day (rather sad) but cleared me.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I see the scary government has today raised the penalty for using hand held phones and driving to £200 and 6 points. Is that really a serious deterrent?

I think it should be £1000, immediate 3 month ban and confiscation and destruction of the phone. Three hard hitting measures. People will still chance it, as they always do, but if it prevents one serious traffic accident resulting in death or maiming of innocent people then in my opinion it's worth it.

Does anyone else think the penalty is too lenient or have the government got it right?

Edit: Drivers who have passed the test less than 2 years before being caught will lose their licence automatically and have to retake their test.

A hard punch in the face as well. I heard some knob on the radio this morning saying he has to take calls while driving - part of his job. FFS.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Why should it ? If you've got points for a motoring offence, haven't adjusted your behaviour and get some more that's down to you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here