Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Driverless lorries to be trialled in UK

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
To be fair, on Thursday I drove down from eland to home using the M1, I have never driven next to a more dangerous bunch of maniacs in my life. It is covered in 50 mph average speed sections, which seemly don't apply to lorry drivers, especially those mad *******s from Eastern Europe.

I was trying to keep to 50 mph with the cruise control set to 52 and i was constantly having these ***** driving 2 feet from my exhaust pipe in the inside lane! I then moved over to the middle lane only for the stupid feckers to come roaring up behind me...one shitehouse from Poland actually tried to force the off the road at one point!

Good job I don't have to use that road very often...god help the poor sods who use it every day.

D

Deleted member 2719

We are going to become a nation of makers and menders of robots and mass unemployment.

There is progress and just suicidal lemming behaviour and we are falling into the latter IMO.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
can these driverless lorrys do blind sided reversing in really tight depots and look up for avoiding the odd fallen tree on A roads,or the odd tractor waiting to pull out?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
come to think about it how do 2 artics pass each other at 1mph on a tight road?......robots will NEVER RULE!!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Less jobs for humans. No thanks Osborne, you tosspot.

Only those not willing to level up and gain new skills will be with out jobs. Jobs and forms of employment change, few hundred years ago near everyone was a peasant farm labourer, then came illiterate machine operators, so on. Learn to adjust, use the organ that makes us more than other animals.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Less jobs for humans. No thanks Osborne, you tosspot.

Scythes turn into combine harvesters. Scribes turn into typesetters. Wheelwrights turn into mechanics. Switchboard operators turn into digital exchanges. Always new jobs for old.

However, I do agree with your sentiment about Osborne.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Although I have not seen the details I cannot see how this works in any way shape or form.
What a waste of time and money for something that will either never happen in this country or at least not for many years.
I think Osborne has been watching The Jetsons.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
"Driverless lorries are to be trialled in the UK, Chancellor George Osborne is expected to confirm in his Budget speech this month.

The Department for Transport said the UK would "lead the way" in testing driverless "HGV platoons".

The technology enables vehicles to move in a group, using less fuel, it said.

The Times reported*trials would take place on the M6 in Cumbria later in 2016, with vehicles in convoy headed by a driver in the leading lorry.

The tests would take place on a quiet stretch of the motorway, it said.

The paper said the plans could result in platoons of up to 10 computer-controlled lorries being driven metres apart from each other.

It said the chancellor was preparing to fund the trials as part of plans to speed up lorry deliveries and cut congestion."

Yes and how many jobs will lorry drivers lose?!

The m6 from Penrith to Carlisle is fairly quiet, especially so at certain times.

There is one plus from this for the common man, although small; slightly less chance of being stuck behind a lorry at 56mph overtaking a lorry at 55.95mph for 10 minutes on varying gradient.

Went from Morecambe to Carlisle on the M6 a couple of weeks ago...very quiet and most scenic stretch of motorway I've been on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here