Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Drinking problem

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Churchill was ninety when he died.

However you seem to be defending the heavy drinker a bit enthusiastically for a disinterested observer?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

However you seem to be defending the heavy drinker a bit enthusiastically for a disinterested observer?

I like a drink. I have drunk more in recent years when my life turned to shit in every single aspect so I can understand consoling yourself with a bottle.

- - - Updated - - -

90. A bloody good innings.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Good luck with it. Try and cut down one thing at a time gradually. It won't happen over night but if you're heading in the right direction slowly, it will get easier

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Good people of NSC,

f***ed achillies tendon

Any advice?

Sympathy is not worth a wank, but this is more than a f***ing nuisance. Probably made worst by drink. You can't blame anybody chain smoking for this.

A bid like Gout, tendonitis of the Achilles Tendon is. I bet Gout made Winston grumpy at times. Everybody else thinks it is funny; except the Germans!

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Curiously my life from the outside looks perfect, A loving wife, two wonderful daughters and and 4 fantastic granchildren.

Scared now, I just can't stop drinking.

Everyone else's life looks better than our own. We all have problems in our own lives that others can't see or that we don't want them to see. Everyone else seems to be having a good time or getting all the luck.

Are you or your friend feeling a bit neglected, in amongst all the children and grandchildren? What does the wife say about the drinking, or hasn't she noticed?

5 cans a night and double that at weekends is contributing to the weight problem. Go out for a run. Take up swimming. Find a hobby. (Look at the Family History thread.)

I know someone who drank this much for 30 years and he lost everything, except his life, and now he is alone and trying to rebuild his life, but has health problems and nothing is easy. You (or your friend) realise there is a problem. That is a good start, because many drinkers don't realise they have a problem. You could try AA. Or find a another group or club or something that is your own that is far removed from drinking. Or go to evening classes to learn Latin, or Spanish or chess or anything else.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
In reply to the op. I was going down a very similar route as you mate. As a coach driver it was f***ing ridiculous, I was clock watching to see when I could have my last drink so as not to be over the limit in the morning. How stupid was that FFS?
I made a life change by firstly giving up my mates for a while, staying away from the pub and quit smoking all at the same time. I took an an allotment and have really thrown myself into growing my own food and spending more quality time with my family.
I still have a drink when I'm not working and have enjoyed a beer much more now than when I was in that rut. It takes a strong mind to go it alone which isn't as hard as you may think Willpower is the key and keep reminding yourself what state you got into at the moment.
You can change all this mate. Believe me.
Good luck

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
step 1 is just try and don't have alcohol available in the house - nothing is easier than going home, opening a bottle for a 'glass' to wind down and downing the whole bottle, ditto buying a 4 pack of beer....like most people in stressful jobs, I justified the work 'wind down' at home for years then I realised (more honest answer 'acknowledged) I'd actually already had that wind down in a pub for a couple of hours post work so I was drinking at home for sake of it. I don't beat myself up now about a post work beer or two on the basis I actually enjoy alcohol in a 'social' environment and when I leave that environment, I know I'll not be drinking at home. If you try and work out what triggers you have where alcohol is concerned, and then lower the number of them, even if it is just a reduction by 1 trigger, you'll soon have more control over any problem, or least have it on more manageable levels.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
To be fair, a bottle of wine a night isn't going to kill anyone - whereas heavy smoking and obesity will - perhaps "your friend" should be concerned about those. Obviously if it's a lot more than that, it needs to stop immediately...

Eh? A bottle of wine a night is 5000 calories a week and probably a knackered liver.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
You've admitted it Furk so that's a big hurdle to overcome and you've done it . It might help you to keep posting your progress on here and receive encouragement at the same time . Stay strong mate and as grimbo said use your kids and grandchildren as a focal point . Keep on the BBS as well , your well respected !

You've admitted it Furk so that's a big hurdle to overcome and you've done it . It might help you to keep posting your progress on here and receive encouragement at the same time . Stay strong mate and as grimbo said use your kids and grandchildren as a focal point . Keep on the BBS as well , your well respected !

Feck using his kids and grandkids as a focal point - use them to pop down the offy.

BTW Dougie are you Physchokiller on BBS?

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Feck using his kids and grandkids as a focal point - use them to pop down the offy.

BTW Dougie are you Physchokiller on BBS?

I'll tell you something phallus old Furk is a good egg , he is well liked on the BBS because he never resorts to the crap you do . He stands his corner regarding the weed and we respect him for it . Cause he dug you out on there for spouting bullshit you've come out with some nasty stuff on here which is bang out of order .

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I'm 30 and I used to swing between drinking loads and not drinking at all. When I do drink, I always have the capacity for "just one more". I've got a very addictive personality and it's quite difficult to stop when you start. As others have said, get some help from the doc if you are serious about giving it up. Sometimes, it's not always the case that you have to give up forever, just find a way of doing it in moderation. For me, that means limiting myself to going for a beer on a Friday after work, and at the football (if it's a Saturday - I don't as a rule drink at midweek fixtures). That way, I'm in control.

Best of luck mate, knowing that you want help is sometimes the hardest bit.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Good people of NSC,

I have a "Friend" who is a triffle worried about his drinking. "He" is so bored with his life that drinking every night has become the normal thing to do, a way of numbing the, well Normal.

This "Friend" is mid fourties, overweight, f***ed achillies tendon and smokes heavily.

Any advice?

Don't drink today. If you (sorry, your friend) still feels the same tomorrow, then take a similar decision tomorrow. Do this each day, first thing in the morning and commit to the decision for only one day - look no further, make no long term plans or promises - one day at a time.

"I can do today what would appall me if I had to do it every day for the rest of my life."

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I'm not a heavy drinker, I enjoy a couple of bottles of wine a week and allow myself a few beers on a sunday, I just didnt do the exercise, especially in the winter, so we have just invested in a new puppy, which will get us as a family more active, with the walks etc, there is some beautiful countryside around Sussex and having a dog gets you to see it. Maybe something to consider if you want exercise, so far its great fun being out as a family and doing the walks and I cant wait for the longer days of summer to do more.

Good luck with it mate.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Don't drink today. If you (sorry, your friend) still feels the same tomorrow, then take a similar decision tomorrow. Do this each day, first thing in the morning and commit to the decision for only one day - look no further, make no long term plans or promises - one day at a time.

"I can do today what would appall me if I had to do it every day for the rest of my life."

Good advice that.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
snap, got a Labrador and no matter what the weather is, or what mood I am, (or not being flippant, how many sheets to the wind I might be) he needs a walk and that is that. If it makes me a bit fitter that's great but one huge advantage too is less time spent in bars and more time in fresh air....a long term commitment but definitely a great way to occupy time that otherwise might be wasted elsewhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here