Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Drinking pints of Whiskey.....Mark McGhee.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
You can't base an entire generation of style of football on two German sides getting to the Champions League final in one season. Chelsea won it last time, were they the best team in Europe? No, of course they weren't. And the German sides are playing technical passing possession football anyway!

You've been saying Poyet's time was up for months, if not years, of course you were going to be right eventually, as numerous posters have told you before.

Hey, at least there's one thing we agree on now- it's time for Poyet to go.

You've changed your tune, this time last week he was the best thing since sliced bread. And if someone had come in for him he would have been, fact is no one did. Or they did and didn't want to stump up the compo stakes.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
You've changed your tune, this time last week he was the best thing since sliced bread. And if someone had come in for him he would have been, fact is no one did. Or they did and didn't want to stump up the compo stakes.

I never said he should stay with us forever! He did a great job for us, nobody can deny that, even you. But after the events of the last week or so it's now time for him to go. That doesn't mean I don't think he was the beset manager we've had in my lifetime, it just means his time is up.

And all this stuff about him being an egotistical dictator, so what? Find me a top manager who isn't. The most successful people in life aren't generally the nicest.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I never said he should stay with us forever! He did a great job for us, nobody can deny that, even you. But after the events of the last week or so it's now time for him to go. That doesn't mean I don't think he was the beset manager we've had in my lifetime, it just means his time is up.

And all this stuff about him being an egotistical dictator, so what? Find me a top manager who isn't. The most successful people in life aren't generally the nicest.

There is a big difference between being nice and treating people fairly. Than being a complete power crazy dictator.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
There is a big difference between being nice and treating people fairly. Than being a complete power crazy dictator.

Read books about Alex Ferguson and his methods. Would you want him in charge?

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Sorry when he left as he did very well in difficult circumstances.
Seemed a very decent bloke and generated one of our best ever chants.
But never go back.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
When will you understand, that I never once said I wanted Warnock, I just pointed out he probably has the best record of any manager in this division at winning promotion. I never said I wanted McGhee, just said he did a very good job on nothing. Yes I think Curbs would be a decent appointment, very much in the Redknapp mould who Barber appointed at Spurs....As for carrying on this brand you so fondly go on about, don't you believe it. Poyet's football was dull, predictable and very boring, or so myself and many sitting around me thought...The very fact once we went one nil down, we all knew the game was up bare's this out. It was great stuff if we scored in the first 30 mins, but we were buggered if we didn't. Don't be so sure we are going to appoint another "flair lol" tippy tappy manager. We have the basis of a very good squad, the only thing that is lacking is a bit of steel and bite in the side....I personally think we will go for proven track record and experience in this division of getting clubs promoted, that rules out Ferguson and doesn't leave a very long list......I still wouldn't be at all surprised to see Redknapp himself turn up here. Now slag me off for saying that......but remember I said it.

hang on..you've said it was dull and boring....then you said if we scored in the first 30 mins it was great stuff....slightly contradictory ...regarding this thread i actually thing its a good one to spark debate :thumbsup:

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Read books about Alex Ferguson and his methods. Would you want him in charge?

The same Ferguson that knew everyone's name at the club, paid a major interest in the youth set up, always defended and stuck up for his players, always kept everything in house....Please don't compare the greatest manager the game has ever seen to Poyet, that is taking the piss.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The same Ferguson that knew everyone's name at the club, paid a major interest in the youth set up, always defended and stuck up for his players, always kept everything in house....Please don't compare the greatest manager the game has ever seen to Poyet, that is taking the piss.

I didn't. I was just making the point that you don't have to be nice to be a successful manager. And you can't deny that Poyet has been successful with us.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I didn't. I was just making the point that you don't have to be nice to be a successful manager. And you can't deny that Poyet has been successful with us.

Ok, I totally agree that Gus was a great appointment at the time. He has done a good job but has also had the tools to do it. That said, many have had the tools before and failed, so fair play to him for that. But the cracks first started to appear at the tail end of last season, but being a first season championship rookie that was fair enough. This season was his year, he had the funds, he had the players and he had the backing, right up until the point he started whoring himself for every job going. TBH if I was Bloom, given what he has done for Poyet I would have felt very hurt indeed that he didn't have enough respect for the club, to hold his tongue every time he was asked about something. People talk about projects, but for a very long time now, it been clear to anyone who hasn't got Poyet tinted glasses on, that the only project Poyet was interested in was himself....I find it very amusing, that he kept touting himself for this and that and in the end he has been as good as sacked and his reputation has taken quite a bashing to boot....and he has bought it all on himself....You should never bite the hand that feeds you.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Ok, I totally agree that Gus was a great appointment at the time. He has done a good job but has also had the tools to do it. That said, many have had the tools before and failed, so fair play to him for that. But the cracks first started to appear at the tail end of last season, but being a first season championship rookie that was fair enough. This season was his year, he had the funds, he had the players and he had the backing, right up until the point he started whoring himself for every job going. TBH if I was Bloom, given what he has done for Poyet I would have felt very hurt indeed that he didn't have enough respect for the club, to hold his tongue every time he was asked about something. People talk about projects, but for a very long time now, it been clear to anyone who hasn't got Poyet tinted glasses on, that the only project Poyet was interested in was himself....I find it very amusing, that he kept touting himself for this and that and in the end he has been as good as sacked and his reputation has taken quite a bashing to boot....and he has bought it all on himself....You should never bite the hand that feeds you.

Fair enough, and I do agree with some of what you say, but I do think you under estimate the job he's done, and how hard it is to get out of the Championship. Plenty of other clubs have been trying for years, with just as many, and in some cases more, resources than we have. And had we had Ulloa from the start of the season I'm pretty sure we'd have got automatic promotion, would you agree? It wasn't Gus' fault we couldn't get him until January, and he was definitely worth waiting for.

If I was Bloom I would feel let down by Poyet as well. Although it is worth remembering that we don't actually know the full story, and we are basing 90% of our opinions on this stuff on speculation and rumour. I don't really agree about the whoring himself out to jobs bit, I think that's a case of journalists asking him a question and him giving them an honest answer. Some would say that's the right thing to do. It isn't, and it's partly the club's fault for not keeping a tighter leash on him, and giving him more guidance on how to deal with the media. Poyet is a journalist's dream, ask him a controversial question and he'll tell you what he really thinks. Which is usually enough to make a whole story out of. Ask me if I'd like to move jobs to a bigger, better company with a big pay rise and I'll tell you yes, of course I would. That doesn't mean I've just called the BBC and asked them to write a story on it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here