Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Drinking around Brighton Station

Johnny Fever

Jan 11, 2010
For a boozer that opens early and serves breakfast there is always Weatherspoons on West Street directly down from the station, but nearer the seafront.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Battle of Trafalgar is my favourite in that area too, but it's a pretty good area in general for pubs. In addition to those mentioned above I'd add The Great Eastern at the bottom of Trafalgar Street and the West Hill just up the hill from the station. There is also The Eddy just up from the Welly.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
They were pretty loose on that definition last week. If you were Albion, you were OK. As I say, I suspect they didn't want any Spurs fans.

Beg to differ on that one. I was turned away despite using that pub for over 10 years before home games and very rudely as well. There was the sum total of 2 of us as well. As a result me and around 20 others gathering this Saturday will be using anywhere but the Duke and that will be an ongoing situation too...

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
correct me if im wrong but all these pubs will be filled with donny fans
Why should they be, its home territory if you want to get all possessive about it,..... in the same way we get told pubs are for home supporters only when we go up country...............

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
Why should they be, its home territory if you want to get all possessive about it,..... in the same way we get told pubs are for home supporters only when we go up country...............

just thought that pubs directly outside brighton station where a large chunk of the away fans come from would be packed with them . my mistake

Matrix10

Jun 7, 2011
Bexhill
For a good range of real ales I dont think you can beat the Evening Star. Usually selling 4 of their own excellent ales and 3 guests

:drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink:

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Battle of Trafalgar is my favourite in that area too, but it's a pretty good area in general for pubs. In addition to those mentioned above I'd add The Great Eastern at the bottom of Trafalgar Street and the West Hill just up the hill from the station. There is also The Eddy just up from the Welly.

There are 40-50 of us leaving on an open top bus from The Battle at around 11:30 am, most of whom are regulars, so it won't be as full as it would have been....

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Beg to differ on that one. I was turned away despite using that pub for over 10 years before home games and very rudely as well. There was the sum total of 2 of us as well. As a result me and around 20 others gathering this Saturday will be using anywhere but the Duke and that will be an ongoing situation too...

Well, I was only speaking about my personal experience...

Doorman: Are you regulars?
Me: Not that regular, no.
Bloke who appeared behind the doorman: Are you Brighton?
Me: Yes?
BWABTD: In you come then.

I suspect the doorman would have turned us away using the very black and white rule he appeared to be operating to, if the other chap hadn't appeared at the right moment.

I've only been in the Welly a handful of times and couldn't tell you the last one.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I wouldn't bother with the Queen's Head or Grand Central (which last week had a "no football colours" door policy).

My personal choice would be the Batte of Trafalgar, and if the weather's nice you've got a decent outside area to enjoy unlike most of the other pubs in the vicinity.

Otherwise the Prince Albert isn't a bad call. They do quite a lot of beers (think they have about six lagers on tap for a start) and also have outside seating at the front.

If you're a real ale fan then you could always try the Camra-recommended Evening Star, original home of the Dark Star brewery, beloved by many. It's not very big and will likely be heaving but is one of those places where people comfortably spill out onto the street.

As others have said, Divals or the Bystander for breakfast would make sense (it's what I do).

Hope you have a great day (although not QUITE as great as ours)

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wouldn't bother with te Queen's Head or Grand Central (which last week had a "no football colours" door policy).

My personal choice would be the Batte of Trafalgar, and if the weather's nice you've got a decent outside area to enjoy unlike most of the other pubs in the vicinity.

Otherwise the Prince Albert isn't a bad call. They do quite a lot of beers (think they have about six lagers on tap for a start) and also have outside seating at the front.

If you're a real ale fan then you could always try the Camra-recommended Evening Star, original home of the Dark Star brewery, beloved by many. It's not very big and will likely be heaving but is one of those places where people comfortably spill out onto the street.

As others have said, Divals or the Bystander for breakfast would make sense (it's what I do).

Hope you have a great day (although not QUITE as great as ours)

Grand Central has an excellent and large roof terrace though.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
just thought that pubs directly outside brighton station where a large chunk of the away fans come from would be packed with them . my mistake

But there are a lot more Albion fans who will be catching the train from Brighton to Falmer, more so than ever used the train to Preston Park for Withers

jmsc

Jul 19, 2003
Old Shoreham Road :o(
There are 40-50 of us leaving on an open top bus from The Battle at around 11:30 am, most of whom are regulars, so it won't be as full as it would have been....

Um, sorry but the Battle of Trafalgar are hosting two private parties and will be strictly regulars only tomorrow.

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
But there are a lot more Albion fans who will be catching the train from Brighton to Falmer, more so than ever used the train to Preston Park for Withers

fair enough then ,any idea where the away fans will be drinking then ?

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Grand Central has an excellent and large roof terrace though.

I like the Grand alot, They let us in with colour for SSC but not after Spurs game.

I cant see this changing unfortunately :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here