Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Drinking 5 bottles of wine a day for 10 years.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
How do you remember you've drunk 4 & 5 after 1 2 & 3?

I'll hazard a guess she doesn't spring out of bed in the morning, tidy up and log the empty bottles.

I can't imagine it but if you get used to it I suppose 5 bottles of wine a day is possible. I couldn't do it. I would be asleep on the sofa after one session of this.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Binge drinking a massive problem in our culture. I know a bloke who is an alcoholic but manages to refrain by not drinking at home. Problem is he will go out and drink maybe or more pints. The likelihood is that I probably drink more than him in a month but he will do it over a couple of sessions.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You're not really surprised by this, are you?

Alcoholics can put away a phenomenal amount and still function relatively normally. Five bottles a day isn't particularly unusual.

Oct 25, 2003
It's the British way. Tony Parsons once made a very good observation about women drunks - it's never a good look. Some men can carry it with aplomb but never the fairer sex. Sexist attitude or just the painful truth? No idea.

i've never met a woman whose character is enhanced with alcohol...usually they're insanely irritating

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It's the British way. Tony Parsons once made a very good observation about women drunks - it's never a good look. Some men can carry it with aplomb but never the fairer sex. Sexist attitude or just the painful truth? No idea.

Reminds me of something someone said to me when I was younger, and for some reason it stuck with me .... "Everyone likes a drink, but no-one likes a drunk". Wise words, I feel.

As I've said before, I had a few years of doing a bottle of red every day, but 5 just seems incredible (not in a good way). Glad I rarely touch the stuff any more.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's sad but still pretty amazing. I don't mind chugging my way through a bottle of white but the most I have ever done is 2 1/2 bottles of red in an evening and boy did I pay for that.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
It's sad but still pretty amazing. I don't mind chugging my way through a bottle of white but the most I have ever done is 2 1/2 bottles of red in an evening and boy did I pay for that.

Lightweight.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

You paid for it ? Makes a change.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
It's the way that these people drink for the sake of drinking, often in solitude, that scares me. Before they know it, they are addicted and cannot stop. Very sad. I pretty much never drink when on my own. It's always been a social thing for me and I suspect many others. Trying to imagine drinking that sheer amount of alcohol is bad enough, but when you consider these people are often on their own as well, it shows what a ******* of a disease alcoholism is.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
In May of this year I was hired to play the part of an Iraq war veteran that had become an alcoholic, playing a character that was an amalgam of 4 real people . As part of my research they had allowed me access to their medical and psychological files. Hells Bells! Some truly jaw dropping reading. It wasn't so much the amount these guys drank but the, in hindsight, obvious and tragic way in which their habits had developed over about a year for most of them.

What struck me was the benality of their condition. They were rarely going out and going to clubs, downing shots and enjoying revelry, it was just a relatively slow trudge of incorporating alcohol into their normal lives. One guy managed to stay off the booze until about noon most days, then he started with some beers, would still leave the house, get back have some more beers in front of the telly, a stroll to his local where he had a beer and some vodka. Within 5 months he wasn't leaving the house at all except to pick up cheap vodka, which was now the only thing he drank, neat every day, all day.

He described how he would sit, relatively sober but hungover in the morning and make lists of things to do. He would get through maybe one or two items, such as his laundry and a hoover round. He would then flag and to reward himself would start drinking early, this went on for months.

He says it just crept up on him to the point where it was inconceivable to him to stay away from the bottle. His entire social life, friends, family just slipped away from him. He didn't make a deliberate decision to drop out, it was just he had no time for anything else in his life. He died about a month ago.

Edit: as an aside, I talked to a lot of doctors that worked with alcoholics and all of them said one of the problems is we just don't know what is a safe amount to drink and few of us agree on a safe amount. Some doctors see 4 bottles of wine a week as excessive, some wouldn't even raise an eyebrow to someone drinking ten bottles a week. Therein lies a problem.

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
About 25 pints of beer, 4 large vodkas and 4 large brandies in 14 hours is my record. 18 pints of beer on a 3-legged pub-crawl is my evening record. 8 pints of lager in 56 minutes is my record for a gallon.

I don't think I could physically drink 25 pints of anything.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I've stopped drinking because, when I was, I never knew when to stop.

Doesn't mean I've given up all drugs, far from it, but no other ones get me in as much trouble.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I go through long periods of not drinking these days either cos of work and because I just don't enjoy it as much as I used to. Would rather save it for the rare times when all my friends can get together. When I think back to my late teens and twenties when I would have been off my box about 3 times a week I just don't know how I did it, well obviously I was younger but I just wouldn't get anything done these days if I was drinking like that. I had a relationship where both of us drank too much and when that relationship ended I just drifted away from drink as a regular thing.
I get a hell of a lot more done these days and I feel much, much healthier, uninterrupted sleep, good healthy appetite, better mood etc

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Would rather save it for the rare times when all my friends can get together.

As just about all my mates are Albion fans alternate Saturdays are always good fun.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
In May of this year I was hired to play the part of an Iraq war veteran that had become an alcoholic, playing a character that was an amalgam of 4 real people . As part of my research they had allowed me access to their medical and psychological files. Hells Bells! Some truly jaw dropping reading. It wasn't so much the amount these guys drank but the, in hindsight, obvious and tragic way in which their habits had developed over about a year for most of them.

What struck me was the benality of their condition. They were rarely going out and going to clubs, downing shots and enjoying revelry, it was just a relatively slow trudge of incorporating alcohol into their normal lives. One guy managed to stay off the booze until about noon most days, then he started with some beers, would still leave the house, get back have some more beers in front of the telly, a stroll to his local where he had a beer and some vodka. Within 5 months he wasn't leaving the house at all except to pick up cheap vodka, which was now the only thing he drank, neat every day, all day.

He described how he would sit, relatively sober but hungover in the morning and make lists of things to do. He would get through maybe one or two items, such as his laundry and a hoover round. He would then flag and to reward himself would start drinking early, this went on for months.

He says it just crept up on him to the point where it was inconceivable to him to stay away from the bottle. His entire social life, friends, family just slipped away from him. He didn't make a deliberate decision to drop out, it was just he had no time for anything else in his life. He died about a month ago.

Edit: as an aside, I talked to a lot of doctors that worked with alcoholics and all of them said one of the problems is we just don't know what is a safe amount to drink and few of us agree on a safe amount. Some doctors see 4 bottles of wine a week as excessive, some wouldn't even raise an eyebrow to someone drinking ten bottles a week. Therein lies a problem.

It's pretty much the same with smoking. I have just come back from a boating holiday on The Broads with a group that included 3 teachers and a novelist. 6 out of 7 in the party were smokers and I was the only non smoker. People were chatting about career paths and self determination and taking control of one's destiny etc etc. There was plenty of booze flowing too and we all had fun. I was just amazed by the fact that such intelligent and clever people were fighting over fag papers and scrambling around for filters and stubbing butts out in sugar bowls and abandoned drinks glasses. In the morning the main cabin floor was covered in ash and ripped up Rizla packets.

Not having looked at fag packets and baccy pouches much recently I was shocked to see the images of lung cancer and heart disease printed on them yet they were all abjectly ignored as " someone else's problem ". On a stop at a little village one of our group complained that the local shop was so small it did not sell " Additive Free " tobacco ! This stunned me after being told that this is tobacco without so many pesticides and preservatives etc sprayed on it. So it seems that additives are bad but tobacco isn't ? It just amazed me that otherwise intelligent and knowledgeable people can't see that they are killing themselves without a care.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here