Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Drill Bit

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
For curtain poles I attach a wooden baton to the wall - and then the curtain brackets to that. Much more forgiving.
Is the correct answer.
better off with a length of skirting and put some 'grip fill' or 'sticks like sh!t' on the reverse for extras.
Best advice this
Very much this. When I moved to a house with hollow walls, I was SO glad the previous owners had put wooden battens up. Five-minute job to screw the poles to the batten.
Another shout for this.

I did paint the baton first before fixing it to the wall.
Wow, that's a lot of baton users. Any of you got pictures of your efforts? I'd prefer the look of the curtain pole straight on the wall though, not with a baton.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Wow, that's a lot of baton users. Any of you got pictures of your efforts? I'd prefer the look of the curtain pole straight on the wall though, not with a baton.

image.jpg

I have dry lined walls and kids, so the baton is a good idea with heavy curtains and a metal pole.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
It doesnt matter if you use battens or not. You still need to drill the batten to the lintle.
As said the only answer is an SDS drill and bit.
It will get you a proper fixing into concrete lintles.
If you dont want to buy one new, hire one for a day at any decent tool hire shop.
As for fixing the batten with gripfix, I hope they are only short lightweight curtains.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I have dry lined walls and kids, so the baton is a good idea with heavy curtains and a metal pole.
Thanks for posting the picture. If needs must, it makes sense, but it's a bit more work, and IMO, doesn't look as good.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
:)
Thank you Lawrence Llwellen -Bowen.
Matches the coving and white gloss looks better on timber.
It's a piece of baton which is ugly. Best to blend it in. Thought that was obvious.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Unless it's a race, the baton users would be better off with battens. :thumbsup:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But don't you have to drill holes for the batten....View attachment 67143

absolutly, but you can drill say three holes rather than 4, 6, 8 for little brackets. also those holes can be larger, easier to drill a larger hole then little 4mm, especially if they are to be close together, lined up etc. and finally, its once, never need to do again.

goldstone68

Aug 31, 2014
darkside
Quote Originally Posted by bn9 bha View Post
Attachment 67152

If you have heavy curtains, metal poles and the dry lined kids hang on the curtains, and you have stuck the batten on the wall only and not screwed it back you will find the next thing you'll need is a plasterer.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Wow, you seem to have internal blinds too. We might need another thread for fitting those!
So how were the vertical blind brackets fixed 'cos i cant see a batten to fix the brackets too?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
So am I right in thinking you have hidden the kids behind your walls---I should have done this years ago:eek: I would be a 1901er now:moo:

Not a bad idea, the reason for the baton is one of the helpful darlings tried to pull the curtains at my previous house, curtains pole and plaster on the floor :censored:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Quote Originally Posted by bn9 bha View Post
Attachment 67152

If you have heavy curtains, metal poles and the dry lined kids hang on the curtains, and you have stuck the batten on the wall only and not screwed it back you will find the next thing you'll need is a plasterer.

Post #20
Hope this helps.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here