Drew Whitworth- When Saturday Comes magazine

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Boy

Paul McShane
Aug 15, 2004
'ove actually
Has anyone else read his article in this months issue? It is about Tony Bloom's takeover, with comparisons to our past with Bill Archer.

I personally think that it was written very lazily (despite the last paragraph), as it says we have been in a similar situation before under Archer and Mike Bamber.

Mr Whitworth states in the article that he is a fan, so I suspect he is playing devils advocate in order to get his article published, but I wonder if his views are genuinely shared with any of our supporters?

Sorry that I can't link the article on here, but I recommened reading this months issue so you can read it for yourselves

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Got my subscription copy yesterday morning and brought it to work for my night shift. Was particularly eager to get to it as the cover notes mentioned a Brighton article.

The article was little more than a potted history of the Albion covering the last 4 decades. There was very little at all relating to Bloom, as most of the article concentrated on how we got to be where we are now. As such, there wasn't a great deal there for the Albion fan, as we all the know the story backwards by now.

I'm not sure that the article really offered a great deal for neutrals either. I'm guessing that the readers of WSC are a pretty football literate bunch and know "The Brighton Story" pretty well too.

I certainly wouldn't go rushing to WHSmith's for a copy on the strength of it.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Drew used to be on the mailing list (http://www.seagulls.org.uk) and lives/lived in Hebden Bridge in Yorkshire.

In fact, here he is.
Oh he wasn't 'Drew from Leeds' was he? I must admit I haven't been on it myself for many years and he was one of the reasons I unsubscribed. The asinine and idiotic comments and petty squabbles made NSC look like a MENSA meeting. Real dorks.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Just read the article and jimhigham is spot-on,nothing most Albion fans don't know about already,but least it is an article about Brighton and not the mighty geordies ! :wozza:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Oh he wasn't 'Drew from Leeds' was he? I must admit I haven't been on it myself for many years and he was one of the reasons I unsubscribed. The asinine and idiotic comments and petty squabbles made NSC look like a MENSA meeting. Real dorks.
:laugh::laugh:
You sir are in top-notch fighting form atm. Have you been slipping something in your tea? :bowdown:

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Yes he was Drew from Leeds, well he moved to Hebden bridge. I thought he was a decent enough chap and quite thoughtful about the Albion. I used to drive him to a number of away games.

I too unsubscribed from the mailing list, but that was mainly becuase I couldn't keep track of all the e-mails. Some good people on that list including John Hawkins and Peter Jackson. I think Bozza was on it too.

Remember a great booze by the internet seagulls at the Prince Rupert in Shewsbury and a similar one in Port Vale (both celebrating champiosnhip winning last games) Infact I'm sure it was Bozza who was caught on CCTV puking up in a hotel in Port Vale (Bernam ?)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Remember a great booze by the internet seagulls at the Prince Rupert in Shewsbury and a similar one in Port Vale (both celebrating champiosnhip winning last games) Infact I'm sure it was Bozza who was caught on CCTV puking up in a hotel in Port Vale (Bernam ?)

That wasn't me I'm pleased to say. 'Arthur' might know who it was though...

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Funnily enough - same here. At times I felt I knew more about Hebden bloody Bridge than anywhere else.

There are though some top people on there - some of whom are also of this parish.
Oh indeed. I wouldn't say they were all geeks or dorks any more than all the posters on NSC are teenagers or fascists. But whereas on here you can simply not open threads on the mailing list it was almost impossible to separate the wheat from the chaff. The thoughtful missives from the more intelligent subscribers would get lost in a storm of "Have you got your tickets for the match yet?" "yes I have", "yes I have", "yes I have", "No I haven't, when were they sent?" "yes I have", "yes I have", "last Tuesday." "yes I have", "haven't got mine yet", "yes I have", "yes I have", etc, etc. Add that to people such as Drew in Leeds telling us what he'd had for breakfast and what the weather was like and the overall result was a complete waste of bandwidth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports