Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dreams Dilemma

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
I always like a bit of an ethical debate on NSC, so here's my current quandry.

I had a tenant arriving at very short notice (some one I've previously worked with who needed a room, coming to work in the same offices as me) - and had to set about redecorating the 2 main bedrooms in around 2 weeks. All kinds of painting and wallpapering aggravation, but that was simple enough to get done in my own time. However, on a professional level, my redecoration in the days leading up to the arrival looked like the following:

Monday - Double Glazing
Tuesday - Double Glazing & Carpets
Wednesday - New Bed
Thursday - Tenant arrives

As such, there was only really 1 day when I could take delivery of the new bed - since it had to go in after the carpets, but before the tenant arrived. I went into Dreams the week beforehand to purchased a pretty standard double divan and mattress.

All in all, including a headboard and delivery, it came to around about £300. Sorted. Delivery on the Wednesday wasn't a problem - the headboard wasn't available and would've delayed the delivery, but I could collect that locally. So I set about the decoration and paying lots of money to lots of tradesmen etc.

On the Tuesday afternoon, I get a call from Dreams to say, "Sorry, bit of a problem with our stock, that bed isn't available just yet - but we can deliver it on the 13th September for you." Bugger. Couldn't have my tenant sleeping on the floor, so I drove over to the local Dreams to arrange something else with the threat of cancelling my order and going elsewhere etc.

I came away with a standard imitation-leather bed frame, and slightly better mattress (a discontinued one at the back of the shop reduced on sale), for £200 (discounted by about £50 due to the problems I'd had). They were going to transfer the balance across to the new bed and refund me the remaining £100 difference. In addition, the new bed was delivered the same afternoon - at my own cost to a local courier/removals firm.

So, all in all, I had a bed in place - not a divan with storage - which suited my needs and it cost me £200 in total, with a £100 refund on the way. So I was a bit surprised this morning when Dreams called me to advise that my bed would be delivered by lunchtime. Sure enough, they turned up with the original divan and mattress. I signed the paperwork (with a fake signature) and took delivery of the bed.

Now, I'm still awaiting the £100 refund from Dreams. So, do I:

a) Tell them that they've wrongly delivered it, and continue to claim my £100 refund.
b) Keep the bed to sell on elsewhere, but not bother with the £100 refund.
c) Keep the bed to sell on, and continue to pursue the £100.

I'm inclined to go with option C, since they messed me around with such short notice AND I had problems with them when I bought my own bed 2 years ago - the £400 mattress I'd chosen wasn't in stock and I was advised on the day of delivery that if I wanted it today, I'd have to opt to have the one off the showroom floor - which I begrudgingly agreed to.

Yours,

Sleeping Soundly in Beds(fordshire)

Note: The original delivery wasn't for this Wednesday, but for last Wednesday 5th. So the divan would've been around 8 days delayed arriving.

Last edited:

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Dreams are utter rip off cnts. One of my most hated retailers for numerous reasons but without any particularly bad experience to rant about. Go for 'C' with all of you heart they are clueless and not be able to connect the two different deliveries!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here