Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dreadful news about Putin.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
He has the support of 60% of the Russian people. The closest opposition is 17%, the Communists, remember them? The opposition politicians the western newspapers are fond of quoting have next to no support, barely single figures.

We can hate Putin, there are plenty of good reasons to, him being a war criminal n all.

But we have to find a better way of dealing with him than pretending he's a Bond villain. We need to listen to the concerns of the 60% of Russian people that support Putin's political bloc. AT THE VERY LEAST the expansion of Nato eastwards has to stop, it's just simply scaring the Russians into supporting Putin all day long.

Err..could be a case of the Monty Python University of Wollamoolamoo doctrine "Rule 1..rule 3 rule5 rule 7..." wot makes Vlad so popular. And why oor Nigel admires him..

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Why are you quoting these wholly disconnected ex-pats.......Lithuania is just reintroducing national service because of Russian aggression, try not to fall into your bosom buddy's trait of unfounded, 3 rd hand scuttlebuck.

Yes, I am quoting Lithuanian nationals. Not that I need to. Do you believe that Russia is prepared to go to war with NATO over these three minor States? Seriously?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Speaking to Lithuanians here that I know, after hearing a similer projection on a different forum, they have absolutely no fear of any Russian aggression towards them.... why do you think they will be moving in on them, and why would Russia risk a major world conflagration over these three minor states?

Because they're there, they have significant "oppressed" Russian minorities, they prevent Russia having access to the Baltic in that area and Kaliningrad is isolated. Hitler tried the same tactic with Danzig.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Have we got freedom of speech here in the UK anymore ? Seems anything anyone says in the limelight (politicians , celebrities , football club owners , tv people) or just a normal bod on youtube is scrutinised to the bone and you are frowned upon if a sentence is out of line . I can't even say I am going down the chink anymore , crazy but that's another topic I guess .

That's okay it's "y" its not okay that's the problem. Quite honestly I did not even know the "Slippery slope" could be deemed racist.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Because they're there, they have significant "oppressed" Russian minorities, they prevent Russia having access to the Baltic in that area and Kaliningrad is isolated. Hitler tried the same tactic with Danzig.

and again, you think that Russia would risk war with NATO?

Sorry...I SERIOUSLY doubt that.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well, thats a bit simplistic isnt it.... and to ire the normal suspects on NSC, how many innocents have suffered because of our actions in the last 10-15 years?
This didnt come from Russian militarism. It came from a region of the Ukraine, not wanting to be part of Ukraine, after a nationalistic right wing coup against an elected government. The hostility between this region, and Kiev goes back a long, long time, with the eastern region looking more towards Russia linguistically, and culturally, than the EU. When the shit started, the Russians gave help to the rebels (obviously). as we would give help to British ethnic people if they were in the same circumstance.
As indeed we did n 1982 when we went to the other end of the world to help some ethnic British who objected to the illegal overthrow of their government.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes, I am quoting Lithuanian nationals. Not that I need to. Do you believe that Russia is prepared to go to war with NATO over these three minor States? Seriously?

Logically we can hope that wouldn't happen, but what is Putin's calculation ?

What if he calculates that NATO won't defend the Baltics ?

He's already basked in the glory of taking over Savastopol. What greater glory than conquering Narva ? - a significant city in Russian military history - and just inside the Estonian border.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
If NATO doesnt come to the defence of NATO members, then its a bit pointless. They would react. He wont invade the Baltics.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Look, unlike most of us, tbisclown operates without constraints, he has absolutely no internal checks and balances, his position is based and supported almost by the varying waves of public opinion, he stirs up the national fever of patriotism, uses that to give him an unchallenged office. He is clever enough to know that the west won't go to war unless absolutely necessary, a bit if posturing over the Crimea came to nothing, he will take that as a sign he can take the next steps, north eastern Ukraine was next, who knows what will follow.

He is a man who think he is invulnerable, that makes him capable of anything.....and nobody in Russia will stop him.

You know his disappearance recently?....out with the military.....

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

They are also NATO members. Russia cannot afford to go to war with NATO.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
putin%20dog.jpg

Is that Putin or his one of his advisors?

Dec 15, 2014
Here
Have we got (Do we have) freedom of speech here in the UK anymore ? Seems anything anyone says in the limelight (politicians , celebrities , football club owners , tv people) or just a normal bod on youtube is scrutinised (scrutinized) to the bone and you are frowned (corrected continously) upon if a sentence is out of line . I can't even say I am going down the chink anymore , crazy(,) but that's another topic(,) I guess .

Please submit your corrected post by noon, Wednesday.

RWH1940_800web.jpg

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
and again, you think that Russia would risk war with NATO?

Sorry...I SERIOUSLY doubt that.

You could have said the same thing about Syria - would Assad cross Obama's red line by using chemical weapons and risking American intervention? Why yes. And that has emboldened everyone and made them realise that alliances and words count for very little these days

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You could have said the same thing about Syria - would Assad cross Obama's red line by using chemical weapons and risking American intervention? Why yes. And that has emboldened everyone and made them realise that alliances and words count for very little these days

I dunno, I think there's a world of difference between a blustering politician talking about 'lines in the sand' (or whatever) and genuine treaty obligations. And as we've proved by our slavish devotion to following every EU rule we do love a good treaty!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here