Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Downside of Promotion

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
You gotta go for promotion and aim for the stars else you might as well knock the club on the head.

The next best thing to promotion is to be able to say to your Palace supporting workmate, as I did tonight on my way out the office, good luck tomorrow, hope you manage to keep it down to single figures :lol:

When have we ever been thrashed by Liverpool??

**hides in the stationary cupboard as he clearly remembers the 0-9 and 1-6 drubbings and shudders at the thought**

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
palace are 11/1 for the win, tomorrow, with Skybet.

There's some brilliant odds guessing the first goal scorer (palace player) and correct score.

Chamakh and 2-0 (lets face it stranger things have happened) 800/1

Moxey and 5-3 (lets face it nothing that strange has ever happened) 6000/1

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Careful everyone, 94Eagle will be along in a moment to pour scorn on our opinions.

As to the OP? I'd be happy to stay in the Championship, but if we were promoted, I would realise that it is a tough league, etc, etc and not expect too much. Not sure that I'd 'give up' for the season this early though. When I think back to the matches against PL teams in recent seasons (Liverpool away aside), we've done OK, and there's reason to believe that, when we get there, we could put in some decent performances.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Prem 19 home games
Championship 23

Prem. 50% of your home games no longer at 3pm on a Saturday (how many Saturday 3pm games have palace had so far this season?

Prem price. Probably a 50% price increase.

Do I want us to go up. Of course, but I do fear that we would price out much of our fan base.

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
This is a mass debate
Hours of pleasant discussion over numerous pints.
Big fish in small pond v Premier League dosh.
Whilst it's great being a big fish, maybe PB and TB think otherwise............

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I want the journey there. But I don't think I would be excited for a season in the Premier League. Knowing we haven't got a chance of getting a place that means anything other then relegation or staying up would be a bit boring. Also, the price of season tickets will be ridiculous when/if we get there.

If it got too expensive then I would probably find myself at lewes games on a Saturday more often then Brighton games. I, like most fans have a limit of what I will pay.

In my eyes, the premier league is a brand. Not a proper league.

Give me a good cup run with either Lewes or Brighton over promotion any day.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I'll try to answer this without bias :

First of all, we're in a situation where one of the most important factors for future success revolves around our stadium. Unlike yourselves, we don't have someone who's willing to spend £100 million + on a new stadium, nor is it likely we'd actually find a site close to Selhurst which would suit all parties. Falmer itself is a great stadium but you can't tell me the location is ideal, so our priority has to be build 2 new stands over the coming years and make Selhurst a respectable stadium.

With regards to relegation this season, I wouldn't write us off just yet but the likelyhood is that we are going to struggle, big time. Would Brighton be any different? Well, you'd have to spend a heck of a lot to compete, look at Cardiff for example blowing £10 million on Gary Medel, would Bloom be willing to do the same? Honestly, I'm not sure he would. I don't think we've bought particularly bad players but Holloway in his typical fashion neglected to bring in a top defender and instead acted sentimentally by giving Ramage and Gabbidon new contracts, one of whom is out on loan already.

Whether or not we go down for me isn't the issue, our target has to be to become a stronger force possibly next season in The Championship. Zaha aside, our squad has the potential to be far stronger than it previously was in The Championship so whilst relegation wouldn't be met with a smile, I'd say it's just the beginning of our potential revival as none of us expected promotion so soon. WBA are a fine example of this, it's not something that will happen overnight but we're receiving revenue at present that most clubs in The UK can only dream of.

On a side note, The Prem really is a god awful league in so many ways, I won't pretend to be excited at the prospect of playing Barnsley at home again on a cold January evening in front of a sub-standard crowd but The Prem really isn't all that, a proper rival in the division would help though!

Unfortunately going up via the playoffs puts that team at a disadvantage because of less time to prepare, especially when it is off the back of poor form without a defined style of play which needs instant reinvention. Automatic promotion is really the best way to move up a level and missing out for us was a blessing in disguise.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Downside to promotion - for me it would be away days. Give me a Saturday 3pm kick off at Brentford or Orient over a Sunday 12 o'clock kick off at Chelsea every time.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Unfortunately going up via the playoffs puts that team at a disadvantage because of less time to prepare, especially when it is off the back of poor form without a defined style of play which needs instant reinvention. Automatic promotion is really the best way to move up a level and missing out for us was a blessing in disguise.

Not going up is never a blessing in disguise, we're clearly not ready but will come down with a far stronger squad should we get relegated. Would Brighton be in the same position even if they were struggling at Prem level? Definitely.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Not going up is never a blessing in disguise, we're clearly not ready but will come down with a far stronger squad should we get relegated. Would Brighton be in the same position even if they were struggling at Prem level? Definitely.

If you splash the cash on players who get you relegated, the parachute payments will only cover your overspend mistake. Next year there will be at least 7 other teams also on parachute payments, so even if you finish above us this doesn't mean instant re-promotion.

Should Palace spend the parachute payments on building a new stadium? I have seen the plans and they look impressive, but what is the timeline for this?

Until you get a Premiership Class Stadium you will never attract the players to keep you there. I am sure you will get this one day but it cannot happen soon enough for you surely?

With regard to us not getting promoted, the blessing in disguise for us is that between Gus and the club it was very complicated and it probably saved a bigger fall out.

Having a new manager come in at Championship level gives us time to adapt to a different style which would have been difficult in the Prem when the new manager doesn't know the playing staff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here