Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dowie to pay Jordan's costs

bailey

Sep 24, 2005
Seafront Brighton
Iain Dowie has been ordered to pay Simon Jordan's legal costs following the recent court case that ruled in favour of the Crystal Palace chairman.

A High Court judge upheld Jordan's claim that he was 'deceived' by former boss Dowie after he left Selhurst Park in 2006 before joining Charlton only days later.

Jordan alleged that he wavered a £1million compensation clause because Dowie had informed him that he wanted to quit the capital in order to return north, where his family reside.

Although the court ruled that Dowie will not have to pay any such compensation, he has been ordered to pay Jordan's costs, which are thought to be in the region of £400,000.

Dowie's move to Charlton subsequently proved to be disappointing for both parties, as he was dismissed in the early stages of last season, but his present employers, Coventry City, have stated that they back him unequivocally.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Serves him right. Mind you according to one of the freebie London evening papers Tangoman needs the money as he has to buy the freehold of Smellworst Park. Apparently it is actually owned by a a bloke who's tied up with Spurs and he wants Jordon to but the lease for £15,000,000 or else he'll 'develop' it.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Serves him right. Mind you according to one of the freebie London evening papers Tangoman needs the money as he has to buy the freehold of Smellworst Park. Apparently it is actually owned by a a bloke who's tied up with Spurs and he wants Jordon to but the lease for £15,000,000 or else he'll 'develop' it.

Where did you find that from Frank?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Jordan alleged that he wavered a £1million compensation clause because Dowie had informed him that he wanted to quit the capital in order to return north, where his family reside..

Wavered? I think he means waived. That must be a high-quality news source you're quoting from.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I thought he'd bought the freehold months ago?

http://iccroydon.icnetwork.co.uk/ne...objectid=19297586&siteid=53340-name_page.html

'I'm asking you to trust me' says Palace boss

Jun 15 2007

CRYSTAL Palace chairman Simon Jordan has urged fans to "trust him" as he spoke for the first time this week about plans to sell Selhurst Park.

The Eagles chief confirmed he is looking at selling and then leasing back the ground, just eight months after buying the freehold.

But he told any concerned fans not to worry, as he was being "a clever little sausage".

He explained that any deal will include a "fixed" buy-back price, which effectively means Jordan can repurchase Selhurst whenever he likes.

The Advertiser was handed a document this week which shows the club is looking for offers in excess of £15 million.

Using a third party,Jordan bought the ground for £12 million from old adversary and former chairman Ron Noades last October.

Talking about the sale and lease-back option, he said: "I can mention at least 30 other football clubs who have done the same thing.All I'm doing is being a clever little sausage.

"I will have a guaranteed buy-back price which I can exert at any time."

Jordan says he is simply "restructuring" the club and any deal would provide Palace with the best opportunity to challenge for promotion to the Premiership.

And with £30 million of his own money tied up in the club Jordan insists he isn't looking at jumping ship.

He added: "I'm not going anywhere. The fans have absolutely nothing to worry about. This is not me being Machiavellian or underhand.

"I have been at the club for seven years and although we have changed managers, we've gone through a relatively stable period.

"I know exactly what I'm doing and why I'm doing it. It's not easy but it's the best option for the football club.

"I think people should know me better by know.There are certain things I can't discuss in public,but Palace fans should be confident that I have the best intentions for the football club."

The club has been in the Championship for two seasons now and will lose its parachute payments for the 2007/08 campaign.

This is the money given to soften the financial blow of clubs being relegated from the Premiership.

Jordan explained: "We won't have the parachute payments and I've got to feed the team again.

"We've had a go at promotion on both occasions and spent money but didn't get near."

Jordan said the sale and lease-back opportunity will also allow the club to move to a better location in the borough "if it comes up".

But council sources have previously stated there are no alternative sites in the town for a new stadium and it sees the club's future as being firmly at Selhurst Park.

It was revealed in February that Jordan had approached the London Development Agency about moving to Crystal Palace Park.

But he explained: "The National Sports Centre was an option that doesn't seem to exist anymore."

Finding another location within the borough, Jordan added, was like "finding a needle in a haystack".

He said: "If I can't do that then I've got to make sure Selhurst Park is secure, the team is there and all the ingredients for a successful team are in place."

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
By all accounts Dowie's bill is £700,000! Hope Coventry are paying you well Iain!

Stupid ugly man. Should NEVER have tried to pull a fast one on a bitter orange spiv chairman with the funds to pull down the full bollox of the legal system on his head. Oh well. At least they deserve each other :clap2: :wave: :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here