Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Doug Loft: Jaw Broken by Team Mate

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I recall that thread! An interesting read now. Again highlighting some fans' impatience - if Bloom had done what half those fans wanted at the time we may have not smashed league 1 the next season :lol:

I've just read it and thought the same thing, although it was more than half the posters in that thread. Murray went on to get 22 goals the following season.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I've just read it and thought the same thing, although it was more than half the posters in that thread. Murray went on to get 22 goals the following season.

Makes you wonder why they were all so annoyed when he left for Palace really. Is it not what they wanted?

But he was a hopeless donkey that year and only started playing well when it was contract renewal time. Remember several home games where he put in no effort whatsoever and that sending off got a lot of people's goat.

Edit: Or was that the season before? Memory playing tricks.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Murray was never, ever a hopeless donkey. There was a time when he had his issues- largely caused by his personal life, it seems, and he made a few stupid mistakes on the pitch too.

But he was never even close to being a donkey. That was the frustration as a supporter back then- it was obvious he was a talented lad. He just needed to apply himself.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Murray was never, ever a hopeless donkey. There was a time when he had his issues- largely caused by his personal life, it seems, and he made a few stupid mistakes on the pitch too.

But he was never even close to being a donkey. That was the frustration as a supporter back then- it was obvious he was a talented lad. He just needed to apply himself.

I think the OP of the original thread was claiming that Murray had 'lost the fans'.

Perhaps it runs in the family?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

He looked a right donkey at times to me. Recall a lot of missed chances and zero-effort performances before something clicked (finally settling in the south?) and he became a 100% effort, goal scoring machine.
Did the same thing at palace first season there I think.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It also helped that he finally got his hernia problems sorted out after numerous ops.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
"It's been a poor week for us," Vale boss Adams told BBC Radio Stoke, "For legal reasons, there's very little I can say other than on Thursday there was an incident between two players.

"The training ground incident resulted in one of the players, who I might add is an innocent party to this, receiving a facial injury that has consequently ruled him out for the rest of the season.

Funny.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Nasty injury yes, but what about the context? I'm not saying there's ever an excuse for this sort of attack, but it's important I think to keep a sense of perspective instead of naturally assuming it was entirely unprovoked.

Also, I swear there's more and more of these training ground / changing room bust-ups lately. Like WBA had one incident just the other week I think? Sad to see in-fighting like this.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Nasty injury yes, but what about the context? I'm not saying there's ever an excuse for this sort of attack, but it's important I think to keep a sense of perspective instead of naturally assuming it was entirely unprovoked.

Also, I swear there's more and more of these training ground / changing room bust-ups lately. Like WBA had one incident just the other week I think? Sad to see in-fighting like this.

A sense of perspective in that Loft is out for the rest of the season, not just a bust up or skirmish.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
A sense of perspective in that Loft is out for the rest of the season, not just a bust up or skirmish.

That's very true, and I'm sorry if I sounded like a heartless knob, it's just in my nature now to look at things like this from all sides. Glad the prat who did this has been disciplined by the club.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

I doubt there's any more now than there have ever been. What you do have now is the technological means for any such incident to be in the public domain within seconds of it happening. Even ten years ago, it would have been fairly easy for a club to keep such an issue in house. Now, you have players with Twitter accounts and thousands of followers, web forums on which rumours can be discussed at length, and every man & his dog has a camera phone with which to capture anything they might happen to spot in passing the training ground. One of the Vale players (Jennison Myrie-Williams) alluded to something having happened at training in a tweet later the same day.

Re the Loft incident, it's supposedly kicked off after Loft tackled Jones in training. Jones took exception to the tackle. Micky Adams says Loft is the innocent party.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here