Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Double double barreled names

Gonzo BHA

Sep 3, 2004
BN1
Imagine if Katarina Johnson-Thompson and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall got married and decided to keep all of their names.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I once had a girlfriend with a double barreled surname. The funny/tragic part was that in a cringing Hyacinth Bucket way her dad had amalgamated his middle and last name in an attempt to boost his social standing.
The banging your head on the wall part was that this gave the family the surname......... Graham-Taylor!
IMG_8270.jpeg

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The latest craze to retain maiden names within the confines of marriage is also pure affectation.

Why yes, how dare these uppity women refuse to surrender their entire identity and heritage. They should just accept convention and become Mrs [husband's name] forever, to correctly identify them as his property.

Christ, they'll be giving them the vote next.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The latest craze to retain maiden names within the confines of marriage is also pure affectation. It complicates genealogy, which has always started with the shortest names....Dodd, Hudd, Burn, Horn, Parr etc....and developed with ' kin ' and ' son '
As I mentioned, the Frau kept her name for two reasons.

1) It's a total pain in the arse to change everything with her maiden name both personally and professionally.
2) She's quite happy being identified by her original name.

At best there is absolutely no point to it. At worse it's outdated sexism. And the best argument you have is that i'm depriving the world of the name Tubson?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My squad of 22 for the double-barrelled World Cup:

1. Bailey PEACOCK-FARRELL
2. Trent ALEXANDER-ARNOLD
3. Arran WAN-BISSAKA
4. Cameron CARTER-VICKERS
5 . Kiernan DEWSBURY-HALL
6. James WARD-PROWSE
7. Calum HUDSON-ODOI
8. Ruben LOFTUS-CHEEK
9. Dominic CALVERT-LEWIN
10.Emile SMITH-ROWE
11.Craig MACKAIL-SMITH

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
I have a double-barreled surname because my parents didn't marry, and split when I was young. When i was around 12, I took my mothers surname on the end because her father was upset that his family name would end with his kids because his only son didn't have/want kids.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
They do a lot of double barreled names in Hispanic cultures. The convention is usually that a child will take the first surname of each parent to generate their double-barreled surname.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It’s getting silly I agree. At my local fire station there’s a recently married guy now called Pugh-Pugh-Barney-Mcgrew-Cuthbert-Dibble-Grubb

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
My squad of 22 for the double-barrelled World Cup:

1. Bailey PEACOCK-FARRELL
2. Trent ALEXANDER-ARNOLD
3. Arran WAN-BISSAKA
4. Cameron CARTER-VICKERS
5 . Kiernan DEWSBURY-HALL
6. James WARD-PROWSE
7. Calum HUDSON-ODOI
8. Ruben LOFTUS-CHEEK