Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dormant Football Grounds

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
I love looking at the old grounds and what happened to them, of the English clubs I think Scunthorpe were the first to move into a new purpose built ground ?

Yes, in 1987 I think

Walsall next to move to a new ground in 1990

Although Coventry claim the first ever all-seat stadium in England when they refurbished Highfield Road

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean

In this they say "It is proposed that elements of the famous heritage of Rushden & Diamonds FC will be conserved in a new setting.”

What famous heritage did they have? As I recall a local businessman bank rolled them over 10 years to get them into the league before withdrawing money and they folded into obscurity.

Their only claim to fame I can think of is Irthingborough (sp) was/is the smallest town to ever have a football league team. In fact the stadium has a larger capacity than town population.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
This is what Scunny are aiming for now. Not bad.
5674257-large.jpg

Reminds me a bit of somewhere. Can't quite place it...

Selhurst park?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not officially an 'ex' football ground l know, (Bradford City still play there), but l have just stumbled across a youtube clip of the Valley Parade fire back in 1985.

John Helm a local ITV commentator went there to commentate on the Diivision 3 match versus Lincoln City, only to end up commentating on the fire which in a matter of minutes engulfed the main wooden stand, and took the lives of 56 people.

Like everyone else l was aware of the fire, but had never actually seen footage of it. It was truly terrifying, in the 15 minutes that the video lasted it showed terrible scenes of the dead and dying. Truly emotional stuff. Please God nobody has to go through something like that again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here