Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Doorstep Crime.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What a job though calling 100’s of people about an accident they haven’t had. Must work though when I was at school I had this job cold calling for free design and plan of a new kitchen used to get loads of takers and about 1-5 bought a kitchen.

I know....must be horrendous....no idea what the hit rates are but doubt it's more than 1/100

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
What I don't understand these days is when a company call me they ask for certain details to confirm who I am and then get very irritated when I refuse to answer, stating how they called me and so must know who I am. 9 times out of 10 the conversation stops there and I call them back. Sometimes I'll ask them about myself and they wont give out the answer for security reasons which adds to my point of not giving them any information.

Always do the same, and say if its important write to me, and if they want my address I just say you will have it on your records.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The best advice is always refuse to engage in conversation with any cold caller.

However from watching the video, you can see how these criminals gain the confidence of the elderly particularly if they are on their own and would welcome a chat. It's a sad picture of our society that you have to treat any who is genuinely just looking to be helpful with suspicion because of the few bad apples

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I did, but thread was already taking a different tack (as usual). These people are ****s, preying on the vulnerable. I've had chats with my parents about it and what to look out for but it's scary.

I've heard that some banks actively check transactions to look for tell tale signs that vulnerable people are being taken advantage of.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've heard that some banks actively check transactions to look for tell tale signs that vulnerable people are being taken advantage of.

Yep - in-branch staff are also specifically being trained to spot signs as well (for example potentially distressed older customers drawing out unusually large amounts of cash, or regularly doing so etc) and how to deal with such instances

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Without putting the frighteners on anyone, I just wanted to post this video, which brings things closer to home than one realises.
Up here there has been a spate of fraudulent cold callers, targeting the vulnerable.
Not enough words to describe the people who carry this out :thumbsup:

Looks like all those commenting so far didn't watch the video, which is not about scamming by phone or email

Getting back on track, a lady at church was targetted by roof repairers quite recently, having been widowed before Christmas. Fortunately one of her family stepped in. We wondered if the death announcement in the paper alerted them.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Doorstep crime... reminds me of the other week when I was walking home and I saw someone taking my gate. I didn't say anything in case he took offence.. :)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Doorstep crime... reminds me of the other week when I was walking home and I saw someone taking my gate. I didn't say anything in case he took offence.. :)

Shame anyone would go that path.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Any women who cold calls my house or mobile gets asked in a special voice.........”What are you wearing “ ?

They normally hang up but if they don’t .... well we’re all happy then.

Sadly I can't find the Alas Smith and Jones head-to-head crime detection sketch, part of which went something like this...

Mel: They eventually identified the culprit from his gait.
Griff (pauses and frowns): You mean he left his fingerprints on it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here