Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Don’t want a striker

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Lampteys Cross in the 6 yard box where he was on his heels and moved it sideways, Websters Messi run where he just watched him and didn't go near post, the one that cannoned off his heels when he would have been 1 on 1 and Trossards cross that was waiting to be buried.

As I said earlier, he's been good this season but was poor last night.

There was a cucurella cross in the second half too. Didn't run hard enough to get on the end of it. Probably as he had only just come on but i think he needed to be sharper.

FWIW I am not having a pop at him (and he was better than Lukaku). I just wonder where we would be if we had a next level striker putting one of those away.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Looks like we got lucky we could have wasted £95m on a Lukaku and £50m on a Werner. Tammy Abraham must have been really crap if he was behind these two

And therein lies the lesson, it's not how much you spend, it's who you spend it on that's important

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
You do wonder how many goals Glenn Murray, in his prime, would score in this Brighton team. A bit of height and a streetwise attitude in and around the penalty area could turn a lot of our draws into wins and a lot of defeats into draws. Maybe.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
It seems to me that we've drawn 11 matches. If we had a striker who can score one more goal in 5 of those matches then we'd have 10 more points, and our apponents would jointly have 10 less points. so we'd be top 5?

and if my aunt had a beard she'd be my uncle.

But we’ve drawn games from losing positions. Like Potter (speak) says - we’ll look at anyone who can improve the Group (but not **** the whole structure and team harmony up). I want us to sign Patrik Schick - but it’s not happening.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Amazing football last night but goal scoring remains a problem for us.

Only 4 teams have scored less goals than us in the Premier League this season, 3 of them sit in the bottoms 3.

If we want to progress up the table, we need more goals. Simple.

However, the striker we require needs to be a very special player. A player that is going to be hugely challenging to sign. Yes I want a new striker but I appreciate the difficulty involved in getting one, it might be that Sima, Zeqiri, Connolly or Ferguson fill that void eventually if the challenge of signing the right player is too much. We could be in for a long wait.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
You do wonder how many goals Glenn Murray, in his prime, would score in this Brighton team. A bit of height and a streetwise attitude in and around the penalty area could turn a lot of our draws into wins and a lot of defeats into draws. Maybe.

Just what i was thinking as i listened to Glenda on BT - I reckon he'd probably have got 2 or 3 last night

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
There was a cucurella cross in the second half too. Didn't run hard enough to get on the end of it. Probably as he had only just come on but i think he needed to be sharper.

FWIW I am not having a pop at him (and he was better than Lukaku). I just wonder where we would be if we had a next level striker putting one of those away.

That's where I am with it. Last year, I was cricitcial of Maupay and the amount of quality chances that he missed. I thought he should have scored more. Barring the Leeds sitter, that hasn't been the case this season and without looking at XG or the like, I think he has roughly what we expect him to get (we should have had more from midfield which is another story). If, we were to unearth the next Harry Kane from somewhere, we could well be in Champions League territory this year. That's just being greedy though.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

He'd be competing with Salah for the Golden Boot in this team

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
walking a tight rope with just 2 recognized strikers.

We need one more at least

Agree

neither of the 2 we have are current top half spec either. Maupay is average at best and was poor last night. I'm sure both would shine a bit brighter with the right partner but it's most telling the rest of the team and squad have continually improved but our strikers have not.

Another issue is shooting, everyones scared to do it . . . . Solly had an opportunity late on, edge of the box, passed it into oblivion.

Last edited:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
We probably have one in the club already.

What we don't need is someone like Lukaku who seems to want the tactics be about his style and a refusal to adapt to the team.

I agree that we have missed loads of chances and therefore our points tally is probably lower than it could be but is there any guarantee that a £40 /£50 million striker would have got us those goals or would we have become too dependant on him?

Getting transfers wrong isn't limited to strikers though, and we've got some form to prove that.

My comments were somewhat tongue in cheek but we need to get a more clinical finisher from somewhere, even if they are already n the club somewhere. Watching our lovely football is fine but if we had someone in the box who could take just a few of the many chances we create then I really do believe we would be up alongside West Ham or higher

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Seriously, I don’t. I’ve never been more proud and more entertained and it’s a joy to see the whole team loving it. It’s almost as if Potter has created virtually two first elevens that can mix it with the big boys. So, please don’t bring in a big money/high wage Jonny who might score a few goals but will massively upset the apple cart and not be prepared to work anywhere near as hard as the other 9/10. We all know that we have something special here, let’s not spoil it.

Why are you making the MASSIVE assumption that a new striker would be disruptive? Ridiculous post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Strange OP

Despite how well we are performing and how good Maupay is, the idea that another striker wouldn’t be ideal seems a bit puzzling.

If we had someone more clinical we would have picked up three points last night without a doubt.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Seriously, I don’t. I’ve never been more proud and more entertained and it’s a joy to see the whole team loving it. It’s almost as if Potter has created virtually two first elevens that can mix it with the big boys. So, please don’t bring in a big money/high wage Jonny who might score a few goals but will massively upset the apple cart and not be prepared to work anywhere near as hard as the other 9/10. We all know that we have something special here, let’s not spoil it.
The bigger picture would be to sign a better forward otherwise the players that entertained you last night won’t be hanging around for that long. We need to show these players we mean business. I would go as far as saying we need a couple of forwards for competition.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Last 6 games 10 for 6 against not that bad.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Last 6 games 10 for 6 against not that bad.
9 points from 18.

Eeking out 2 or 3 more (deserved) points from those last 6 games could have been very valuable.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
The bigger picture would be to sign a better forward otherwise the players that entertained you last night won’t be hanging around for that long. We need to show these players we mean business. I would go as far as saying we need a couple of forwards for competition.

Is the right answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here