Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Don't put oil down your sink.

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
Indeed. People only do it because nobody sees them. They wouldn't empty their dustbin in the street.

This also applies to engine oil poured into rainwater drains. So many people just can't be bothered to take to the recycling centre.By acting sensibly, not only are you helping to save the planet, but the overall costs to yourself environmentally and financially.

I'm allowed to preach, after all it is Sunday.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
I always do , washed down with a kettle of boiling water

boiling water won't help. Oil and water don't mix, even if the water IS boiling. If you MUST put oil down the sink, then put it down with boiling water AND plenty of washing up liquid. If it's hot enough, the washing up liquid reacts with the fat making it soluble. It's still not ideal though, oil and fat shouldn't go down the sink.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
boiling water won't help. Oil and water don't mix, even if the water IS boiling. If you MUST put oil down the sink, then put it down with boiling water AND plenty of washing up liquid. If it's hot enough, the washing up liquid reacts with the fat making it soluble. It's still not ideal though, oil and fat shouldn't go down the sink.

cheers , will do that

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
and Petrol that is a no no ,but people have with bad results,i worked in that industry for 10 year's and found many things Watches ,Rings ,Phones etc.The worst i found when climbing into a drain near Newcastle was a decayed body now that wasn't nice.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
When I was a lad I worked for my town summers, and in the Sewer Dept. There was one intersection where there was a Chinese, a donut shop, and a McDonald's. We were up there with the street rods to clear the main sewer every ten days....

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Our washing machine stopped working due to fat build up in an outlet pipe it shared with the sink.

( That has to be the most trivial post I have ever posted)

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Oil is useful though - flammable, waterproof and viscous.
You could paint your shed or fence with it, soak the firewood with it, waterproof the cat.....
come on, must be some McGyvers on here with some good ideas

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Oil is useful though - flammable, waterproof and viscous.
You could paint your shed or fence with it, soak the firewood with it, waterproof the cat.....
come on, must be some McGyvers on here with some good ideas

Add a litte white spirits and use it to run your car, (diesels only !)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here