Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Don't plan on driving along the seafront in the next couple of years

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I understand but I don't think that most people who chose to holiday in Brighton decide to tour round (e.g. Holland Road to the Sea Life Centre) the city in their car. I imagine that a good proportion don't even come to Brighton by car. I also imagine that those who are most vociferous about car travel difficulties live in Brighton and its environs.

It also extends up the Old Steine to London Road from the seafront roundabout. At peak times the roads are just a queue for the car parks or a queue to get out of the city.

How are people going to park at the Churchill Square and Regency Square car parks if the bottom of West Street is closed, especially with the i360 trying to attract more people to that area? It's going to be some mad traffic scheme because it was a nightmare when the road was closed off recently for the last repair.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Well you commented why is a no go area for cars a bad thing, suggesting less roads to go on

Just your wrong assumption then.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
It also extends up the Old Steine to London Road from the seafront roundabout. At peak times the roads are just a queue for the car parks or a queue to get out of the city.

How are people going to park at the Churchill Square and Regency Square car parks if the bottom of West Street is closed, especially with the i360 trying to attract more people to that area? It's going to be some mad traffic scheme because it was a nightmare when the road was closed off recently for the last repair.

Is this a response to my post?

You do seem to be getting rather hysterical; have you read post #7?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's just the closure of one of the lanes on the south side of the junction isn't it!?

The whole junction isn't closing, just west bound traffic will have one lane rather than the 2 it has now for about 50m or so.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
You'll drive near and see f all happening bar a load of workmen sleeping or talking....so slow in this country it's unreal.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
42% of Brighton tourists arrive by car - so not a majority. Although you are right in that it is the most used form of transport to get to the city, but only just. 36% use the train.

Road sir, road, and a 'majority'it may not be, but it is still the highest percentage. You can also add coaches, buses and cyclists into the mix and if you really must be so pernickity in the forum, please quote your sources rather than just quote uncheckable figures. :raspberry:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Source: http://www.visitbrighton.com/xsdbimgs/Brighton and Hove Visitor Survey 2009 - Final Report.pdf

Besides - how much of that 42% use the A259 anyway? ... and after that, how many will think "**** going to Brighton this weekend, I've heard there's a lane shut on a small section of the seafront road"

We do not need to worry about tourism being affected by this. As a local I couldn't really care less if it were affected slightly anyway. Stop being a miserable git and celebrate the fact that we are one of the few cities in the UK that isn't going into complete disrepair.

general tourism perhaps not,but spare a thought for the businesses in the immediate vicinity of the works whose customers use the road to access their services,these localised businesses may see a drop in trade over such a long period.........just saying.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Source: http://www.visitbrighton.com/xsdbimgs/Brighton and Hove Visitor Survey 2009 - Final Report.pdf

Besides - how much of that 42% use the A259 anyway? ... and after that, how many will think "**** going to Brighton this weekend, I've heard there's a lane shut on a small section of the seafront road"

We do not need to worry about tourism being affected by this. As a local I couldn't really care less if it were affected slightly anyway. Stop being a miserable git and celebrate the fact that we are one of the few cities in the UK that isn't going into complete disrepair.

Many local businesses will know that a drop of just a few per cent can be the difference between success and failure. I do not question the need for the work to be done, I just raise an eyebrow at the length of time it may take and wonder if we are just a little too bound up by unnecessary delays and regulation..... And as for complete disrepair, have you seen Madeira Terraces recently?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
When the majority of your income arrives by road (tourists) it could be a very bad thing.

That may be so but I'd suggest that the percentage of that majority arriving by car don't use them to get around the city. A minor inconvenience at arrival and departure isn't going to put off tourists.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here