Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Don't Panic: Tenerife Insists Volcano ISN'T About To Erupt...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Are mini-quakes a common occurrence in volcanoes that are about to erupt? Are they a common occurrence in volcanoes that don't then erupt?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
And it was only 6,975 days ago that Diana died.

And a mere matter of months since that hilarious Brexit Diana Moment when all the too cool for skool kidz were going to wash their hands of the lumpenproletariat and bugger off to Oz.

Still here then? Thought so.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
... despite all the UK tabloids suggesting Mount Teide may be about to blow :ohmy:

https://www.thelocal.es/20161005/dont-panic-tenerife-insists-volcano-isnt-about-to-erupt

'In recent days a series of mini-quakes have been detected by seismologists on the island hitting south west of Mount Teide, the volcano that dominates the skyline of the Canary Islands.

Around 100 mini-quakes were recorded within 12 hours on Sunday.

Although equipment recorded at least 100 quakes during Sunday none of them were strong enough to be felt by people on the surface so islanders were perplexed at headlines in British tabloids warning of "panic" that the volcano was about to blow.

But while the seismic activity was largely ignored in the Spanish press, The Daily Express, The Sun and The Mirror all ran sensationalist stories warning holidaymakers of an imminent eruption.'

I'm off to Iceland at the end of the month, same situation.

I'm detecting a bit of a trend here - Unusual earthquake warning prompts action, anxiety in Southern California

cirC

Jul 26, 2004
Tupnorth
I think all that mega tsunami stuff has been pretty much proved to be bollocks.

Look at a satelite image of La Palma and you can see on the western side of the island a massive area that slipped into the sea and left a concave area towards the central part of that island.The same on Teneriffe but the eastern side and Gran Canaria has been hit by a tidal wave in the past as sea floor debris has been found about 500 to 1000 feet up on that islands western flank.
I seem to recall that the Bahamas which are on the other side of the Atlantic have some erratic rocks which are not coral (as the islands are) and it is believed the were deposited by giant sunamis in the past.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Look at a satelite image of La Palma and you can see on the western side of the island a massive area that slipped into the sea and left a concave area towards the central part of that island.The same on Teneriffe but the eastern side and Gran Canaria has been hit by a tidal wave in the past as sea floor debris has been found about 500 to 1000 feet up on that islands western flank.
I seem to recall that the Bahamas which are on the other side of the Atlantic have some erratic rocks which are not coral (as the islands are) and it is believed the were deposited by giant sunamis in the past.

http://blogs.agu.org/landslideblog/2013/12/13/canary-islands-tsunami/

etc

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Do you reckon they should panic more or panic less than those in the vicinity of the Yellowstone Supervolcano?

That is THE biggie. If/when that blows, and I believe it blows every few hundred thousand years, it will mean bye bye to much of our civilisation.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I was under the impression that the danger comes from a huge flank of the volcano's cone breaking off down a fault line will slide down into the sea and cause the massive tsunami....an eruption wouldn't be so bad unless it was Mt St Helen's style.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
A friend of mine is in Tenerife now. Must text her and tell her to rush out and get my ''Duty Free'' requests now in case the shops need to close if they have to evacuate

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here