Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Don't look down on C4 now

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
does anyone have a fear of flying? I'm dreadful and need to somehow overcome it, but god knows how. Any ideas?

Cue the clever answers......lol

Understand the science behind aeroplane flight. A plane cannot just fall out of the sky due to the varying air pressures around the wing when in flight. This might not help if your fear is about the engines stopping or bombs etc, but do you worry about that every time you get in a car or train?

Speak to a pilot - they will really help qwell your fears. You might be lucky enough to be invited to the cockpit - a lot of fear (certainly mine) centres around the lack of control that you feel on a plane (a car, albeit more dangerous, is at least controlled by you). Once, when travelling to the Maldives, i shat myself for the 11 hour jet flight, but totally relaxed on the seaplane when i could see the pilots, both barefooted, flying the plane. Mad as this was by far the riskier flight of the 2.

Go on a controlling your flight fear course - never done it myself, but I have only ever heard good things about them. They probably cover my 2 earlier points a great detail.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
These people on the prog are NOT free climbers as they claim. They do not climb up the buildings using skill and judgement and althletisism. They go up the stairs and then hang off the edge for a few seconds. The only one I saw them climb was that bridge and I use climb in it's loosest term. Dangerous sure but the actions of a couple of bored kids. Not free climbers.

You VERY rarely get fatalities in the free climbing community, urban or rock face because they know what they are doing unlike these clowns who are dropping like flies all over the world.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Understand the science behind aeroplane flight. A plane cannot just fall out of the sky due to the varying air pressures around the wing when in flight. This might not help if your fear is about the engines stopping or bombs etc, but do you worry about that every time you get in a car or train?

Speak to a pilot - they will really help qwell your fears. You might be lucky enough to be invited to the cockpit - a lot of fear (certainly mine) centres around the lack of control that you feel on a plane (a car, albeit more dangerous, is at least controlled by you). Once, when travelling to the Maldives, i shat myself for the 11 hour jet flight, but totally relaxed on the seaplane when i could see the pilots, both barefooted, flying the plane. Mad as this was by far the riskier flight of the 2.

Go on a controlling your flight fear course - never done it myself, but I have only ever heard good things about them. They probably cover my 2 earlier points a great detail.

I am going to do the Spitfire pilot course at Goodwood this year. Pricey but well worth it.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
does anyone have a fear of flying? I'm dreadful and need to somehow overcome it, but god knows how. Any ideas?

Last time I went on holiday to Greece I took 50mg of valium and had a few drinks on the plane. They settled my nerves but I fell asleep and when we were about to land there was turbulance. I woke up pooing myself shouting: "Was going on?! Was going on?!" The air hostesses calmed me down thankfully. :lol:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

Try the British Airways fear of flying day. I saw it on TV a while back and seemed to work for all of the patients on board. Looked like a great day out as well.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
These people on the prog are NOT free climbers as they claim. They do not climb up the buildings using skill and judgement and althletisism. They go up the stairs and then hang off the edge for a few seconds. The only one I saw them climb was that bridge and I use climb in it's loosest term. Dangerous sure but the actions of a couple of bored kids. Not free climbers.

You VERY rarely get fatalities in the free climbing community, urban or rock face because they know what they are doing unlike these clowns who are dropping like flies all over the world.

They have no safety equipment so they are in essence free climbing

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
They have no safety equipment so they are in essence free climbing
Trust me, it's a world I know very well, they are NOT free climbing because they are not climbing. The closest they came was shimmying up the cables on the bridge. Other than that we only saw them going up ladders or interior staircases and then balancing on the edge of things. No climbing whatsoever I'm afraid. I go up my stairs with no rope, fix or harness, am I free climbing?

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010

It said early in the prog that he started with Freeclimbing(with footage) , so even if your version of the definition is right, that does not mean to say he does not still do it.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If I'm not mistaken they showed him FREE-RUNNING but I may be wrong. Either way what they were doing wasn't free climbing. Tbh I don't think they know what free climbing is.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
If I'm not mistaken they showed him FREE-RUNNING but I may be wrong. Either way what they were doing wasn't free climbing. Tbh I don't think they nor many on here know what free climbing is.

Apologies, a mixture of me not reading properly and a few Gins. You're correct it's Free Running not Free Climbing regarding footage.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Apologies, a mixture of me not reading properly and a few Gins. You're correct it's Free Running not Free Climbing regarding footage.

Enjoy the gins just stay on ground level! :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here