Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Don't Drive Into Brighton

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Friday night bus from Churchill Square at around 11.00 full of 15-17 year old tossers was a great joy in 1973. Three to five years later the main danger for me was teds at Portslade station. West Street was for the New Regent. We'd steer clear of the notorious Bosun. As for Whitehawk.....<sigh>

There’s also boasting stuff online from heavy metal types, on how they used to look for and attack punks in Brighton.

Salad days.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There’s also boasting stuff online from heavy metal types, on how they used to look for and attack punks in Brighton.

Salad days.
Actually my experience, as a nine and a half stone bag of wet piss at the time, was that the hard lads backed off from us punks on the street. I never felt scared. But we did act up a fair bit :O What was I thinking? :moo:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

Salad days.
The funny thing is, nowadays Metal fans tend to be some of the friendliest people you'll meet.
Go in a metal pub/bar and everybody's just absolutely lovely.
Not sure there's such a thing as a punk bar, I guess that's be against the whole Punk ethos.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The funny thing is, nowadays Metal fans tend to be some of the friendliest people you'll meet.
Go in a metal pub/bar and everybody's just absolutely lovely.
Not sure there's such a thing as a punk bar, I guess that's be against the whole Punk ethos.

I wonder if the thuggery in music between fans of different genre died off altogether? The late 70’s sounds quite fractious.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Nor I. My first family gig was in 1980.
I've seen interviews on YouTube of people who started in music in the late 60s, I think Ian Gillan from Deep Purple but I might have made that up, who found the whole tribal nature of music in the late 70s/early 80s very peculiar.
I went to my first gigs as a very small child in the 90s. My mum played in brass bands :rock:.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've seen interviews on YouTube of people who started in music in the late 60s, I think Ian Gillan from Deep Purple but I might have made that up, who found the whole tribal nature of music in the late 70s/early 80s very peculiar.
I went to my first gigs as a very small child in the 90s. My mum played in brass bands :rock:.

You may’ve heard Ilkley Moor Bar Tat?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
You may’ve heard Ilkley Moor Bar Tat?
Probably not, this was all in Sussex.
I just remember they all used to finish with Sussex By The Sea, which I always looked forward to because a) it was the only tune any of these bands played that I knew (because they all played it), and b) it meant they were nearly done.
It's baht hat (without a hat), incidentally. Can't tell if that's a genuine mistake or a joke or not :lolol: .

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Probably not, this was all in Sussex.
I just remember they all used to finish with Sussex By The Sea, which I always looked forward to because a) it was the only tune any of these bands played that I knew (because they all played it), and b) it meant they were nearly done.
It's baht hat (without a hat), incidentally. Can't tell if that's a genuine mistake or a joke or not :lolol: .
My Nanny played at Durham Miners Gala in front of Jim Callaghan (she was an absolutely mediocre cornet player), and much earlier in life as a child played in front of the future Queen Elizabeth (she was a genuinely good violinist, interrupted by the war, marriage, children etc.).

Is Sussex Carol feasible on brass?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Is Sussex Carol feasible on brass?
Not an expert at all, but a quick Google suggests yes:

Pretty sure anything can be arranged for brass if you try. I've heard bands play all sorts of stuff arranged to suit.
Black Dyke Band played on the main stage at Glastonbury the only time I went there, I'm pretty sure they were the best band I heard in the whole festival.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I wonder if the thuggery in music between fans of different genre died off altogether? The late 70’s sounds quite fractious.
Early to late seventies you could guarantee a squabble or fight most evenings. Did not even have to be between rival gangs.😆

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not an expert at all, but a quick Google suggests yes:

Pretty sure anything can be arranged for brass if you try. I've heard bands play all sorts of stuff arranged to suit.
Black Dyke Band played on the main stage at Glastonbury the only time I went there, I'm pretty sure they were the best band I heard in the whole festival.

Could you play?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here