Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Don't Drive Into Brighton

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
No, honestly. And this isn't just a thread to get SB over the top.
Kings Road, by the pier, is West Bound only but narrow lanes.
Kings Road is closed East Bound due to the hotel fire. Diversions take you up West Street. Kings Road from the Grand Hotel E/B is single file to turn up West St. This doesn't stop Audi man from driving down the right lane (clearly closed as he has to avoid No Entry signs) and trying to dive in to the left lane at the last minute. I actually saw one driver get out and move the cones blocking those who cheat the system.
Then builders have closed Cannon Place to north bound only but then Russel Road (the road behind the Brighton Cente) became a two way road. But cars coming down West Street going west, well you can't because all roads are closed. You're sent back up West St and god knows where.
Luckily there are diversion signs everywhere. For instance, as you go up West St there's one telling you to turn left into Russell Road, which is blocked at the end. By the clock tower there are two, one pointing left and one pointing straight on!!!
As a guide, I took 55 mins to get from Old Ship Hotel to Brighton Pier.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Got caught in that on Monday about 5pm. In essence all A259 eastbound traffic is being forced up West Street, subject to the traffic lights there etc. 5 minute journeys might be taking hours, it’s car park.

I turned round opposite The Grand and made our way home via Hove.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The 12’s along the coast were starting/terminating at the Sealife Centre most of the day due to “congestion”. Town is absolutely rammed and I have no idea why - no accidents or major events etc. Seems to be “sheer weight of traffic” caused by a cumulation of previous issues - I think we might see a lot of this going forward.

Brighton is horrible to drive in at the best of times prior to the Albion incident.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
What strikes me is, why would anyone want to deliberately drive into central B ighton anyway? unless they had business there.

The city is a nightmare when it comes to parking, and expensive to boot.
What choices do people have? Trains are flaky for consistency (as a season ticket holder) and buses suffer the same issues cars do.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Yes. I wish I had seen this yesterday as I got caught in the shambles today taking my wife and son to the Sussex hospital from Hove. I had foolishly forgot about the hotel work closing the seafront road on one side as I had assumed they would crack on with it and have the common sense to operate a traffic light system allowing traffic to flow each way. But no - my wife and son got out of the car at bottom of West Street and decided to walk because it was obvious that their was gridlock.

When I saw them again later in the day I asked if anyone was working on the hotel to ensure the road could open as soon as possible - guess the answer !

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The 12’s along the coast were starting/terminating at the Sealife Centre most of the day due to “congestion”. Town is absolutely rammed and I have no idea why - no accidents or major events etc. Seems to be “sheer weight of traffic” caused by a cumulation of previous issues - I think we might see a lot of this going forward.

Brighton is horrible to drive in at the best of times prior to the Albion incident.
Aye i have a piece of work once a fortnight out at Arundel Road (near The Marina) and dont bother trying to get along the coast road …take the a27 …Off at Falmer and then down to Woodingdean and so on not sure how much time i save but at least i am moving ..i then tie it in with other jobs in Hove

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Aye i have a piece of work once a fortnight out at Arundel Road (near The Marina) and dont bother trying to get along the coast road …take the a27 …Off at Falmer and then down to Woodingdean and so on not sure how much time i save but at least i am moving ..i then tie it in with other jobs in Hove
Does that take you down through Rottingdean? That can be a nightmare to drive through on the few occasions that l have done it.

A shame, Rottingdean is such a pretty little place . . . minus the traffic of course.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I was actually moaning that Southern are dogshit therefore taking a bus is a “safer” bet. But they were shit too.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Does that take you down through Rottingdean? That can be a nightmare to drive through on the few occasions that l have done it.

A shame, Rottingdean is such a pretty little place . . . minus the traffic of course.
That’s those two sets of pedestrian lights which seem to stop everything.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

No …turn right at the traffic lights ….then left at the next set taking me across the racecourse and down Wilson AV..the job is on the north side of Marine Drive

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Got caught in that on Monday about 5pm. In essence all A259 eastbound traffic is being forced up West Street, subject to the traffic lights there etc. 5 minute journeys might be taking hours, it’s car park.

I turned round opposite The Grand and made our way home via Hove.
Good Choice !

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
What choices do people have? Trains are flaky for consistency (as a season ticket holder) and buses suffer the same issues cars do.
I use a bus almost daily going in and out of Brighton and not experienced problems, out of interest what route are you experiencing these problems?
Buses have also started running again along Western Road.
I live in Brighton but gave up driving into the centre about ten/fifteen years ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here