Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dont confuse Christianity with religion

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I can only go on what I believe but if you strip down Christianity to it's core beliefs of essentially being a nice person, how can anyone claim that it does harm?

People who act, in my view, in an un-christian manner, but in the NAME of Christianity (or other religions) harm society....I have nothing in common with a paedo priest, a sexist, a homophobe, a suicide bomber etc. etc. etc.

But you do have something in common with he priests. You share their religion. In this way you are affiliated with them.

In the same way that I am affiliated with you, who I have never met, as a Brighton fan. If there was a riot at the Amex on Sunday I would be expected to answer or that. Even though I live on the other side of the world and have not yet been to the Amex. Many people would be asking me what happened, maybe they would be disgusted at the behaviour of my football team and fellow fans.

You make choices about you affiliations and must stand by them and accept that people are doing things in that are linked to you. Both good and bad. I suspect that you feel a sense of pride in many things that the church does. It seems odd to me that you do not also feel a sense of shame when bad things are done in the name of Your religion.

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
Pringles !
Do we get Pringles ?
I want more than 1 & I don't want to have to kneel in front of the holy man as I'm working my way through tub/tube because I've been hearing some dodgy things lately.
Also can they push the boat out a bit & get salt n vinegar ones as the plain ones are a bit boring

Crawley 'Gull

Oct 3, 2005
Crawley
Causes Segregation
Sexism
Homophobic values
Rife with paedophilia
False hope
Preaches lies

Is that ok for starters?

Wow! You cannot be serious. Coming from someone who's been to church most of his life and know's Christians all across the world this is absolute rubbish. I know many Christians who go out there way to help and serve the needy and they do it purely because they're motivated by love for God and other people.

I'm sad that there's such an overwhelmingly negative attitude towards Christianity on this board as most people's comments are so far removed from the Christianity I know, which is based on love, not fear and certainly not hatred.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... One can't prove there is a God, which is where faith comes in, but I would challenge you to prove that there isn't a God..... presuming that is what you are talking about when saying preaches lies.

well that kinda depends on your definition of god of course, but explain how famine exists in a world under a benevolent, powerful god? and if your god isnt those things, why bother with that one when another might be?

not following up on your challenge then? thats was a tad easy.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
well that kinda depends on your definition of god of course, but explain how famine exists in a world under a benevolent, powerful god? and if your god isnt those things, why bother with that one when another might be?

The world is not perfect and I might even dare to say, perhaps controversially, that God may not be perfect. Faminedoes exist and maybe we (mankind or personking if you want to be PC) could do more to avoid a number of natural disasters (global warming?) or to alleviate the results and help those affected. It's what we have got and we have to deal with it.

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
Hang on........... Muslims get virgins & I'm having to beg for Pringles !
I missed a trick there I'm converting

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Wow! You cannot be serious. Coming from someone who's been to church most of his life and know's Christians all across the world this is absolute rubbish. I know many Christians who go out there way to help and serve the needy and they do it purely because they're motivated by love for God and other people.

I'm sad that there's such an overwhelmingly negative attitude towards Christianity on this board as most people's comments are so far removed from the Christianity I know, which is based on love, not fear and certainly not hatred.

Does it make you wonder why people feel like this?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Hang on........... Muslims get virgins & I'm having to beg for Pringles !
I missed a trick there I'm converting

I often wonder what happens to the virgins when they are not virgins anymore?

Oct 25, 2003
You make choices about you affiliations and must stand by them and accept that people are doing things in that are linked to you. Both good and bad. I suspect that you feel a sense of pride in many things that the church does. It seems odd to me that you do not also feel a sense of shame when bad things are done in the name of Your religion.

I was incredibly disappointed by the result over women bishops and find it utterly absurd, i'm not sure "shame" is the right word....just disappointment. As for "pride", I find pride in what my actual church does, ie. the one that I'm a member of. It does an insane amount of positive work in the community. I don't feel much pride for anything the institution of the Church of England does, to be honest as I'm not particularly fussed about a massive organisation making decisions on my behalf. All I'm bothered about is that my vicar is a top bloke who has helped me a lot in my life and who I'm proud to be associated with.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The world is not perfect and I might even dare to say, perhaps controversially, that God may not be perfect. Faminedoes exist and maybe we (mankind or personking if you want to be PC) could do more to avoid a number of natural disasters (global warming?) or to alleviate the results and help those affected. It's what we have got and we have to deal with it.

I think the point is that if God did design everything then there are some huge flaws.

Not least the fact that tired children get more hyperactive and noise and less likely to sleep..........I don't call that intelligent design.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

i quite agree with you of course there are some decent thoroughly pleasant christians but i dont think that was wilkos point

just as not every millwall fan is a raving lunatic that club are still all going to be tarred with the same brush,the same as christians when you have lunatics like creationists and haters like the Westboro Baptist church amongst the ranks

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I was incredibly disappointed by the result over women bishops and find it utterly absurd, i'm not sure "shame" is the right word....just disappointment. As for "pride", I find pride in what my actual church does, ie. the one that I'm a member of. It does an insane amount of positive work in the community. I don't feel much pride for anything the institution of the Church of England does, to be honest as I'm not particularly fussed about a massive organisation making decisions on my behalf. All I'm bothered about is that my vicar is a top bloke who has helped me a lot in my life and who I'm proud to be associated with.

Fair enough i completely agree with your sentiment.

But I also think it is human nature for others to connect you with certain groups of which you are a member. I suppose it is similar to me having to answer for anything any other Pom does as if i have something to do with it. These kind of generalisation give me the irrits but i do accept them as a part of life.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
The term christians is an offensive nickname given to the early church, read the book of acts.Originally they were believers and had a love for each other, they had all things in common and none of the early believers was in need of anything. I am so glad that many of you have read the bible cover to cover studied it and knows what is says and how much bollocks there is in it.

If people were to follow the teachings of Jesus and his example of self giving love then what a better world it would be instead of this self absorbed self obsessed me me me attitude.

Crawley 'Gull

Oct 3, 2005
Crawley
i quite agree with you of course there are some decent thoroughly pleasant christians but i dont think that was wilkos point

just as not every millwall fan is a raving lunatic that club are still all going to be tarred with the same brush,the same as christians when you have lunatics like creationists and haters like the Westboro Baptist church amongst the ranks

True, although the difference between Millwall and Christianity is that the heart of the message of Christianity is love. People that spew hatred and segregation don't belong to the true church as the church is supposed to reflect Jesus. Most of the churches I''ve been to contain people from all walks of life and different nationalities and reach out to those in need regardless of their background.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Sexism - the current farce aside, for the most part the Churches would combat sexism. I am neither an Anglican or a catholic, though, so am not involved in all the women priests stuff.
Homophobic values - I can understand how people form that view because of the gay marriage stuff and because of a few highly publicised cases of narrow-minded bigoted Christian Couples being (quite rightly) prosecuted for not allowing gay couples to share a bed in their guest house so on, but the truth would be that the Churches are more accepting of gay people than many/most other parts of society.
Rife with Paedophilia - Although there have been a number of cases, i think "rife" is an overstatement.
False Hope - If this is along the lines of "Religion being the opiate of the masses" a la Marx, because it doesn't matter what crap you have to put up with in this life because the next life will be ok, then it needs to be said that most would take the line in the Lord's prayer "Thy Kingdom Come, On earth, as it is in Heaven" seriously. The on earth means that a great deal of effort is expended in supporting the most vulnerable people in society. The Churches were the Welfare State before the Welfare State was developed, and seem to be taking that mantle on again to an increasing extent now.
Preaches Lies - Well that is just a matter of opinion. One can't prove there is a God, which is where faith comes in, but I would challenge you to prove that there isn't a God..... presuming that is what you are talking about when saying preaches lies.
Edit - sorry, i missed out "causes segregation". Not really sure what you mean there unless it is just about the current women Bishops stuff and the homophobic values stuff already mentioned. But in practice I think the Churches do more to bring people together than they do to split them apart. The trouble is that it is the extremes that get the publicity. Good news is not news.

I'd have a bit more respect for mainstream Christians if they were a bit more vocal about the extreme views that give them a bad name.

There are some relatively high profile "Christian Organisations" that have some very questionable views. I got invited to a "carol service" a few years ago. It was packed to the raftors with many hundreds queuing outside.

I was expecting a bit of Royal David's City but it was full on "prosperity gospel" with not an angel in sight. I may have missed the central message but forgive my sins for not lasting till the end. We walked out in disgust.

Last edited:

Bhafcman

1958-Forever
Apr 19, 2009
Some of us are a bit (i.e. a lot) more accepting than that. We are not all the same.

And the original poster, in talking about God's plans for us, seems to be ignoring the concept of free will, and he also seems to be a creationist, so I would think that I, as a Christian, have very little in common with him. Please don't tar us all with the same brush. It gets a bit wearing.

How can you be a Christian and not a Creationist, just curious like?

If you could be as be so kind as to answer this question please :smile:

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
So who is in charge of this stupid system where the minority get to choose what goes on? Somebody somewhere must be able to change the system.

Just to remind you a similar stupid system has allowed the UK to have a government it did not elect. In fact there was always the possibility of a Lib-Lab coalition. Neither even won the most votes let alone a majority. It's not just the C of E that has weird voting systems.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here