Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Done for Speeding

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
OK i was radar gunned and stopped by police on new years eve. I was speeding - clearly they were after xmas/new year drunk drivers - which i wasn't.

So fair but cop BUT i was expecting to receive a 'Notice of Intended prosecution' which i believe one is meant to receive within 14 days.

All i have received is a fixed penalty conditional offer - a month after the event.?

Is this the same thing? Should i have received this within 14 days?

Anyone help?

Bodular

Jul 9, 2012
OK i was radar gunned and stopped by police on new years eve. I was speeding - clearly they were after xmas/new year drunk drivers - which i wasn't.

So fair but cop BUT i was expecting to receive a 'Notice of Intended prosecution' which i believe one is meant to receive within 14 days.

All i have received is a fixed penalty conditional offer - a month after the event.?

Anyone help?

Is it anything to do with Sussex safer roads ???

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Like he said, speed awareness course maybe ??? They do it all over the place, did mine up race course last year, did mine at 8or9 in the morning.

I did speed awareness at Stanmer House last year, actually enjoyed it.
Coincidentally got my car insurance renewal docs this morning and as I didn't collect any points for the awareness course, premium hasn't gone up, except for a little bit of inflation.
So feel it was a win win situation, except for the fee for the course.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Like he said, speed awareness course maybe ??? They do it all over the place, did mine up race course last year, did mine at 8or9 in the morning.

Do your insurance company treat it as speeding, even though you dont get points?

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton

Anyone help?

Tell them your missus was driving - lie about it for 10 years and f*** your life up....

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Do your insurance company treat it as speeding, even though you dont get points?

The chappy running the course said you are not obliged to tell them, however it may act as a bonus that you have been on the course. He kinda implied you may get a discount on your insurance, I am insured via work so I did not get involved in that side, so could not tell you if you would sorry.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Also done the speed awareness course at Stanmer house, cost 80 squid but no points and no insurance increase. Be aware though because some insurance companies are now looking to use it to make more money by increasing the premiums

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Anyone help?

A N.I.P. should be sent within 14 days.

infor here : http://www.motorlawyers.co.uk/procedure/notice_of_intended_prosecution.htm

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Listen to [MENTION=12864]upthealbion1970[/MENTION]

He's a world champion at 'doing something wrong while driving and getting caught'

:smile:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I would assume, if you've been sent a conditional offer for a fixed penalty notice, that you were cautioned and reported for the offence by the officer who stopped you at the time he did so.

No written notice is required if you were warned at the time that you may be prosecuted. The written NIP applies more often to fixed cameras, or [suspected] offences where you weren't spoken to by police at the time of committing them.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but- assuming the officer has done his bit, and there isn't usually much to say to someone caught speeding other than tell them they're being reported & caution them- then he/she has no need to send you an NIP.

blackprince

Jul 16, 2007
It depends entirely on how the intention to prosecute is given. If stopped by police and spoken to they will normally say that consideration will be given to the question of prosecution. That is your notice of intended prosecution and there is no requirement for them to send out a formal NIP as they would if for example you were flashed by a fixed camera. The latter has the 14 day time limit.

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
no - it was hampshire

If u was caught in Hampshire! ( I've been done for speeding in Hampshire before) , the speed awareness course might be in Hampshire as well...

Had friend caught for speeding in brighton, they had to travel 50 miles back to brighton to do the course to avoid points..

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Just re-read the first post. He says he's been offered a fixed penalty notice.

Which would suggest to me that he's not eligible for a speed awareness course, either because he's done one before or because his recorded speed exceeded the threshold for acceptance on the course.

Just before anybody else rubs it in by telling him how interesting/much better value than penalty points the courses are...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here