Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Donald Trump

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
How someone can say 'we need to go after these people's families' about terrorism and still being in the running for the presidency baffles me.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
There's no comparison between the two.

1) Bush was very much an establishment figure with the party machine and the conservative media behind me. Trump is loathed by most leading Republicans. In fact, he's basing his campaign on his outsider status. That's useful in the primaries, not so good in an election.
2) Bush assiduously courted various groups, especially Hispanics, but he didn't demonise any group so that an entire bloc would vote against him. Trump doesn't care about anyone beyond his core audience

3) Hard to believe now but Bush's campaign was based on "compassionate conservatism". In other words, he wanted to reach out for the centre. Trump has no intention of doing any such thing

The Republicans would be barmy to vote Trump as their candidate: I can't see them being that being that stupid

Lots of people thought that about the Labour Party and Jezza C.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My guess would be that among the core voters he's clearly targeting - conservative whites, many of whom are extreme Christian fanatics -- this kind of thing will go down fairly well.

But, rather unusually for a right wing Republican, he's not gathering much support from evangelical Christians either. Don't think his marital history is helping any here

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If he doesn't win the nomination didn't he say he'd run independantly.

He could just take the most extreme Republicans from the Republican party and basically make it a no contest for the Democrat win, just scrap it out for second place (lovely scenes)

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The bloke is a ****ing nutcase add to the fact he a huge racist if he got into power the world would be a lot worse place. Personally I don't think he will be put into Power but this is the great US of A.

Another large terrorist attack on American soil would probably swing a lot more voters to his side.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I doubt very much whether the US electorate would put him in the White House. Most of them think he's cuckoo as well. Let's remember, he's moving up in the republican polls and not the national ones. Trump would get trumped in those.

Nevertheless, he's a dangerous racist who is stirring up a nasty political atmosphere. That's his tactic.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I love the way that he masquerades as a successful businessman.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/twentysixteen/2015/09/02/1-easy-way-donald-trump-could-have-been-even-richer-doing-nothing

"Bloomberg puts Trump's current net worth at $2.9 billions, Forbes at $4.1 billion. The National Journal has worked out that if Trump had just put his father's money in a mutual fund that tracked the S&P 500 and spent his career finger painting, he'd have $8 billion."

So he he was a spoilt daddy's boy then. Not a self made billionaire ???

He has filed for corporate bankruptcy four times, in 1991, 1992, 2004 and 2009. :shrug:

Donald Duck has been more successful than him.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
Many don't remember this. He was good friends with the Clinton's at one time and it was Bill Clinton that encouraged him and finally got him to decide to enter the presidential race.

Those Clinton's are not dumb. You say the right things to the right guys in the Republican party and you can literally mess it up for a long time. Incredibly smart strategy by the Clintons.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Lots of people thought that about the Labour Party and Jezza C.

Exactly. The two men are very different but Trump is the Republican's Corbyn. He might make a core base in their party feel that their views are represented and he has gained some traction as a maverick candidate but the wider electoral appeal is very limited.

H Clinton will be the next President.

http://www.politico.com/polls/#.VmbCIfmLTWI

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Trump's comments yesterday regarding a total ban on all Muslims entering the U.S. are genuinely frightening. There is a tendency for Fox News to compare those they disagree with to Nazis but in this case there is a genuine comparison to be made. The call to have all Muslims register is nothing if not a direct echo of way that the Jews were initially targeted in Nazi Germany.

Fortunately it should be enough to ensure that Trump would entirely lose the ethnic minority vote in a General Election, which in turn should be enough to ensure that he loses the whole thing. However, he is stirring up a poisonous and polarised atmosphere that cannot possibly do the States any favours in the long term.

Nasty, nasty stuff.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Another large terrorist attack on American soil would probably swing a lot more voters to his side.
And we'll be told that Trump organised the attack.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I wish he'd stop with the mad as a box of frogs comments now as I was hoping he'd win the Republican nomination. He'd get utterly destroyed in the actual election whereas some of the other candidates have more of a chance of winning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here