Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Don Revie summer 1974

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
As the new England boss Don Revie invited the top 50 English footballers to a two day get together in Manchester in the summer of 1974 to outline his plans.

I know things didn't pan out back then but would the next England manager struggle to muster 50 Englishmen of quality to have simular meet up?

Feb 14, 2010
As the new England boss Don Revie invited the top 50 English footballers to a two day get together in Manchester in the summer of 1974 to outline his plans.

I know things didn't pan out back then but would the next England manager struggle to muster 50 Englishmen of quality to have simular meet up?

Id rather he calls n the England team, show them a video of Brazil, Spain and Germany, tell the players not to follow the ball but instead the players off the ball. Then show a video of the england team. After that tell Gerrard that if he continues to lump 45 yard hollywood balls instead of passing and moving then he will not play for england again. Oh play Rooney as our best player in central midfield, with a 451 and two wingers . Also tell the FA to ban kids from full sized pitches until they are 14 or 15 and instead they have to play 5aside. Simple really, can I have £6Million?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Id rather he calls n the England team, show them a video of Brazil, Spain and Germany, tell the players not to follow the ball but instead the players off the ball. Then show a video of the england team. After that tell Gerrard that if he continues to lump 45 yard hollywood balls instead of passing and moving then he will not play for england again. Oh play Rooney as our best player in central midfield, with a 451 and two wingers . Also tell the FA to ban kids from full sized pitches until they are 14 or 15 and instead they have to play 5aside. Simple really, can I have £6Million?

Why not just play Gerrard in the position he plays best in, on the left he doesn't get much option but to play long balls.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

All things are relative. Who says that all of Revie's 50 were actually good?

We could easily name the BEST 50 English players...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Why not just play Gerrard in the position he plays best in, on the left he doesn't get much option but to play long balls.
Yes he does. He just happens to play it FAR too much.

It could be a really potent weapon for his team, but instead its all too predictable and often ends up with his team losing the ball.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
All things are relative. Who says that all of Revie's 50 were actually good?

We could easily name the BEST 50 English players...

But for example at that meeting the list included;

Ball, Bell, Marsh, Keegan, Worthington, Bowles, Francis G and Currie, who in 1974 were of a certain level, do we have that depth now?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Ball, Bell, Marsh, Keegan, Worthington, Bowles, Francis G and Currie, who in 1974 were of a certain level, do we have that depth now?

But that is EIGHT players. How is that an illustration of 'depth'.

And of those [Ball excluded] what did any of them actually win, that Lampard, Gerrard, Cole, etc won't do in their careers?

I'd be more interested in who numbers 45-50 were.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Wouldn't necessarily be an easy task to name the top English or British players amongst all the foreigners in the Prem!
Bit like 'spot the ball' competition!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
But that is EIGHT players. How is that an illustration of 'depth'.

And of those [Ball excluded] what did any of them actually win, that Lampard, Gerrard, Cole, etc won't do in their careers?

I'd be more interested in who numbers 45-50 were.

Don't know about depth and my memory may be playing tricks but perhaps talent was spread a little more evenly throughout the teams in the old 1st Division....giving the impression there was more depth!Certainly it was easier to find the Brits....they all were!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Don't know about depth and my memory may be playing tricks but perhaps talent was spread a little more evenly throughout the teams in the old 1st Division....giving the impression there was more depth!Certainly it was easier to find the Brits....they all were!

BRITS. Rather than English, though. The all-conquering Liverpool team of the time had about two English players. Its nothing new.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Wouldn't necessarily be an easy task to name the top English or British players amongst all the foreigners in the Prem!
Bit like 'spot the ball' competition!

Robinson
Hart
James
Foster
Kirkland

Dawson
King
Terry
Ferdinand
G Johnson
A Cole
Cahill
Gibbs
Warnock
Baines
Lescott
Phil Jagielka
Hibbett
Richards

Huddletone
Lennon
Gerrard
Lampard
Walcott
Young
Barry
A Johnson
J Cole
Milner
Lee Cattermole
M Johnson
Noble
Parker
Rodwell
hargreaves
SWP
Osman
Fabrice Muamba
Bentley
Dunn
Wilshire
Downing

Rooney
Defoe
Crouch
agbonlahor
Bent
Zamora
Frazer Campbell
Danial Sturridge

That was a struggle, and thats including some that will not get anywhere near squad.... sure missed few obvious ones out, I did try and pick players that had first team football last year in the top flight.

Feb 14, 2010

Because that is central midfield, and Gerrard has shit ball control and makes a living running around lots, having a"good engine" and making "surging runs" instead of controlling the ball, playing the simple ball, and moving into space off the ball to receive it back. Gerrard is a symbol of all that is wrong with English football, overated massively by the english press and pundits who fail to watch and learn from Spain, Brazil and Argentina. 5 a side football for kids will start to see proper footballers emerge. With the current bunch of hoofers that play for England, then Rooney has to be deeper to play through him and gerrard has to give way. He would make a decent right back tho'

zeemeeuw

Apr 8, 2006
Somerset

So much strength in depth that we did not even qualify in 1974 or 1978?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
So much strength in depth that we did not even qualify in 1974 or 1978?

The get-together referred to was in the summer 1974, after that World Cup.

Anyone have a list of those 50 players - it would make interesting reading.

What I recall from those days was that Revie had a suspicion of talented players, so the likes of Bowles, Currie, Worthington and Hudson may not have featured prominently

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
The get-together referred to was in the summer 1974, after that World Cup.

Anyone have a list of those 50 players - it would make interesting reading.

What I recall from those days was that Revie had a suspicion of talented players, so the likes of Bowles, Currie, Worthington and Hudson may not have featured prominently

Almost sure all of the above went, Bowles makes reference to it in his book, and years ago the late Peter Osgood did a charity dinner for me and told us all he was there and got pulled over the coals for missing a carpet bowls session in favour of a drinking session with a couple of sorts at a nearby pub.:lolol:

Anchorman

Oct 19, 2007
For 1978 we had Italy in our qualifying group, only the winner went through and we lost out on goal difference. 1974 was the infamous 'Clown goalkeeper' elimination - 175 shots on target (or thereabouts) In recent years you get seeding in groups and play offs for second

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here