Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Dominic Cummings' £30k unpaid council tax bill 'written off'

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's more the fact that this is dug up time and time again and used to excuse behaviour that is currently dangerous, that's helping spread the virus and leading to loss of life (usually not the immediate person involved but innocents further along the line)

It's like saying that those lives other don't matter because the person disregarding those rules can do what he likes because of the embellishment on what DC did back then and the conclusion that all his actions were wrong, despite some of those used as an example of rule breaking being allowed under the rules at the time and somehow it gives everyone carte blanch to do what they like, whatever the consequences because political games are more important right now (i couldn't care less which party it was that did what)

I'm saying stop excusing behaviour using this incident - We are in a very serious pandemic and lives are at stake

272a53c6-f2f0-4914-bd72-ecaebac96e28.jpeg

Just give me the shovel, it's best all round, trust me :thumbsup:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Or, like with this new example of public opinion manipulation, it was twisted to try to force him out when he had followed what was actually allowed (could relocate to another part of the country if it somewhere you would stay for a significant timeframe (ie not a weekend break, etc) and also relocate if child care was an issue - their having Covid could have meant they then needed the parents to look after the children whilst they were very sick and potentially unable to care for them as a result) Yet it's painted as even travelling to another part of the country was banned.

All this ridiculing / political witch hunt does is fuel the false belief, expressed several times on this thread already, that the rules don't matter and don't apply now because they didn't apply to Cummings, (although they did and he did follow what was acceptable at the time even if public opinion thought it wasn't) so all it does is excuse poor behaviour that seriously risks spreading the virus further (such as illegal gatherings, ignoring social distancing, not wearing masks, etc) as the incident is used therefore to dismiss the importance of following the rules / laws. It's a dangerous attitude to take and putting lives at risk and the more it's repeated that it's ok to ignore the rules because it didn't apply to Cummings, the more it is likely to mean others fail to comply too

It would be impolite to slate this post as preposterous bullshit or to point out that the assertions of “what was allowed at the time “ (of a past incident) is completely untrue. I will not therefore do so.
What I would point out is that this thread is about an entirely different (if geographically linked) matter.

Two issues - 2 properties built without planning permission or building regs - that contravenes the law. No ifs or buts. Retrospective approval could be sought, failing the granting of which the properties concerned should be demolished.
As there was undeniable wilful intent to not pay the appropriate taxes, the owners should properly be prosecuted. Again no ifs or buts. This is the very definition of “wilful”

As an adjunct I will get one of the major “buts” in first. Johnson and his increasingly corrupt regime will rightly state that this is a matter for local decision and not for central government. In the circumstances any honest politician (local or national) who felt the decisions made are justified would happily support, if not propose, an independently appointed enquiry into what influence might (or indeed might not) have been brought to bear on what on the face of it is a frankly astonishing action which flies in the face of established legal precedent.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Two issues - 2 properties built without planning permission or building regs - that contravenes the law. No ifs or buts. Retrospective approval could be sought, failing the granting of which the properties concerned should be demolished.
As there was undeniable wilful intent to not pay the appropriate taxes, the owners should properly be prosecuted. Again no ifs or buts. This is the very definition of “wilful”

bit of a "but" is planning law gives a time limit for enforcement, after which permission isnt required. and no council taxes are due until property is registered as a dwelling. yep, the law is an arse etc. meanwhile everyone is whipped up over it, casting him as powerful political arch-villian, rather than a jammy barstand. he must love it.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Or, like with this new example of public opinion manipulation, it was twisted to try to force him out when he had followed what was actually allowed (could relocate to another part of the country if it somewhere you would stay for a significant timeframe (ie not a weekend break, etc) and also relocate if child care was an issue - their having Covid could have meant they then needed the parents to look after the children whilst they were very sick and potentially unable to care for them as a result) Yet it's painted as even travelling to another part of the country was banned.

All this ridiculing / political witch hunt does is fuel the false belief, expressed several times on this thread already, that the rules don't matter and don't apply now because they didn't apply to Cummings, (although they did and he did follow what was acceptable at the time even if public opinion thought it wasn't) so all it does is excuse poor behaviour that seriously risks spreading the virus further (such as illegal gatherings, ignoring social distancing, not wearing masks, etc) as the incident is used therefore to dismiss the importance of following the rules / laws. It's a dangerous attitude to take and putting lives at risk and the more it's repeated that it's ok to ignore the rules because it didn't apply to Cummings, the more it is likely to mean others fail to comply too
When I saw someone with the username guy fawkes was posting on this subject, for some reason immediately assumed it would be a really edgy, anarchist, smash the state sort of post. Fair play for swimming against the tide, but i think you should post under a different name. Goves grandad or something

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
bit of a "but" is planning law gives a time limit for enforcement, after which permission isnt required. and no council taxes are due until property is registered as a dwelling. yep, the law is an arse etc. meanwhile everyone is whipped up over it, casting him as powerful political arch-villian, rather than a jammy barstand. he must love it.

Reality...... he is a powerful political arch-villain.
He effectively controls the government, the civil service, and the media

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

His next target is the judiciary, currently using Ms Patel to undermine them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

id hope for some coordination if one person were in control.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here