Doing the London to Brighton Bike Ride - Need some advice!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I work out in Goring and the ride from Hove is 11 miles. I plan on doing that ride to and from work at least 15 times before the day.
Do you start work at 9?, and do you drive or train?

I used to drive a similar distance along the coast, for 9am.
It was approx 20-30mins quicker to ride.

Deffo get the tyres sorted before you start, as there's no enjoyment otherwise.
But be prepared you might actually take to it, which will involve getting a road bike/hybrid, and lycra.
Before you know it, you'll be spending all July on the Tour de France thread.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Having done the London to Brighton twice on a borrowed mountain bike (6hrs, 5hrs 30 mins thank you for asking) I wouldn't worry overmuch about the choice of bike.tyres. The best advice I can give you is put TWO jelly seats on the saddle and wear padded cycling shorts. These may well have to be lycra, so wear manly football shorts over the top of them. :thumbsup:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't think you need to worry too much about training (unless you're a club member looking for a time: clearly not), plenty of people pitch up having not ridden a bike all year and just do it. It's not like running a marathon, where you have to spend months preparing & putting in the miles just to get round: the bike ride is just a bit of fun.

I did that 74 mile ride from the Pissfield to the Amex last August without bothering with any training. And on a mountain bike, albeit fitted with road tyres. The Tour de France it was not.

Jan 21, 2012
I done it last year on a mountain bike but with road tyres on it, and they certainly help. Make sure you have padding for your bum and unless you are really fit (stamina not looks) then its best to do some training. I cycled from angmering to brighton a couple of weeks before i done the london to brighton to see if i would be ok... but nothing prepares you for the beacon!!!

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Done it a couple of times and have always trained for it. The first year I did it though I asked a cycle shop guy about training. He said to definitely do some and to make sure you include hills. There are three big ones on the ride but the first two are very doable it's just the beacon that may stop you. He also said to gradually increase the training distance but if you can do 30 miles, you can do 50. The last point he mentioned was to taper the training before the end. So somat like 15 miles to start, then 20, 25, 25, 30, 30, 35, 35, 30, 25. Finally, it's a great day out and loads of people come out to watch. The first 10 miles through London go in a blur and then you are out in the countryside, which is great. Have a great time, you'll love it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That does seem a little excessive for L2B, for an average bloke.

But I totally agree, if you can do 30 you can do 50 miles, no probs, esp on a friendly circuit.
I'd image your commute will be enough training, as the L2B really isn't to taxing.

A nice little loop round for a Sunday morning would be Shoreham - Upper Beeding - Steyning by-pass - Washington inc W-ton bostal (up from The Franklin Arms) down A24 to the coast, and home.

Twochoicestom at Bikely.com
There you go, 31 miles, fairly flat, with a few lumps from Steyning to Washington, with the last climb being the biggest.

Last edited:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Done it three times, on different bikes with different tyres. If you want to test yourself, use a mountain bike without road tyres! My experience with normal mountain bike tyres was that you had to peddle quite hard even on the downhill bits!! Change to road tyres and you can completely relax on the downhill runs. As others have said, padding for the bum is a very good idea - get one of those jelly seat covers. And DO put in a bit of time to train.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
That does seem a little excessive for L2B, for an average bloke.

But I totally agree, if you can do 30 you can do 50 miles, no probs, esp on a friendly circuit.
I'd image your commute will be enough training, as the L2B really isn't to taxing.

A nice little loop round for a Sunday morning would be Shoreham - Upper Beeding - Steyning by-pass - Washington inc W-ton bostal (up from The Franklin Arms) down A24 to the coast, and home.

Being based in Hove I do a vaguely similar route - King Alfred - Shoreham - Upper Beeding - Tottington Manor/ Edburton - Fulking (Shepherd and Dog for a pint!) - on through to A23 to Palace Pier - seafront back to KA - 22 miles all in!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Being based in Hove I do a vaguely similar route - King Alfred - Shoreham - Upper Beeding - Tottington Manor/ Edburton - Fulking (Shepherd and Dog for a pint!) - on through to A23 to Palace Pier - seafront back to KA - 22 miles all in!

Tottington through to Fulking is a nice route, very tempting to carry on to The Beacon, though.
Which I wouldn't do, nice to have a challenging surprise.

(I've just put a Bikely route, onto the post you have just quoted).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports