Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Doing the haka if you’re not Maori will be banned in UK

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
What’s the downside to having a trade deal with New Zealand (or anyone else) ? Ignore the Haka thing. It’s a headline grabbing cultural sensitivity we don’t understand. It’s not actually banned anyway in that there won’t be any consequences if you wake up one morning and decide to give it a go.

Food miles, for a start?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I've spent some time thinking about it and decided this doesn't actually impact my life in any way, shape or form so meh

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So it's not been banned then. Just not allowed to be used for commercial things.

*sighs*

(Then slaps his thighs and sticks his tongue out)

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
So just before cop26 we agree to export / import food and drink thousands of miles - this govt is a real joke

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Is the correct answer. The headline is the item used to whip up anger and the usual cries of “it’s political correctness gone mad”. The fine print (aka the facts) are much more mundane and not worth getting knickers twisted over.

This is usually the case with the 'outrageous 'political correctness gone mad' articles. They usually turn out to be quite reasonable requests.

That doesn't worry the permanently outraged though, they run with it and add it to the catalogue of charge sheet.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Does the Haka get done often in the UK? By Maori or non-Maori people for commercial or non-commercial purposes?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Food miles, for a start?

Yes, that’s a good point. Part of a bigger picture though. If we are to prioritize climate change we need a better plan than singling out NZ.

Have you asked a sheep farmer?

There are always winners and losers with trade deals. I know someone who lost his farming business in Jersey when the UK joined the EU. No-one worried about him and he and his family had to leave the island for good to find work in Norfolk.

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
I think this is a great precedent. I am now going to join the campaign for Scottish independence, we can then ban anyone playing the bagpipes in England. What a great achievement that would be.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yes, that’s a good point. Part of a bigger picture though. If we are to prioritize climate change we need a better plan than singling out NZ.

There are always winners and losers with trade deals. I know someone who lost his farming business in Jersey when the UK joined the EU. No-one worried about him and he and his family had to leave the island for good to find work in Norfolk.

You know somebody who lost their business 48 years ago ? You should have mentioned it earlier :wink:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yes, I do. Problem ?

No problem. Just seems a bit of desperate whataboutism blaming the EU for something that happened to someone you know 48 years ago, on a thread that's about an NZ trade deal.

I found it amusing (not what happened to them, just your post about it 48 years later) :shrug:

The simple fact of the matter is that a free trade deal with NZ shipping goods literally halfway round the planet is bad for the environment, bad for British producers (farmers and lamb farmers in particular being prime examples) and, therefor bad for the British Economy.

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
No problem. Just seems a bit of desperate whataboutism blaming the EU for something that happened to someone you know 48 years ago, on a thread that's about an NZ trade deal.

I found it amusing (not what happened to them, just your post about it 48 years later) :shrug:

The simple fact of the matter is that a free trade deal with NZ shipping goods literally halfway round the planet is bad for the environment, bad for British producers (farmers and lamb farmers in particular being prime examples) and, therefor bad for the British Economy.

I didn’t blame anybody. I responded to a post about UK sheep farmers losing out to the NZ trade deal. I pointed out that there are winners and losers to every trade deal. I gave an example from my experience and shared a story about a bloke I know. It’s a chat. You have pointed out some simple facts and I have done the same. Am I not allowed to mention my simple facts ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Does the Haka get done often in the UK? By Maori or non-Maori people for commercial or non-commercial purposes?

of course not. where it is, probably by the rugby fraternity and NZ expats. fuss over nothing to make a point. no complains about native peoples adopting western customs, its all very odd.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Lol. That would learn them.

I know an old fella in Dunedin who would be distraught.

Nice to see NSC keeping up with the important news. The real story here is that finally we will be able to eat New Zealand lamb again.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I know an old fella in Dunedin who would be distraught.

Nice to see NSC keeping up with the important news. The real story here is that finally we will be able to eat New Zealand lamb again.

I think it is an important story, why on earth would you try to get goods from 12,000 miles away when you can get them locally. Climate change is an issue and the extra carbon footprint created is not acceptable , and i note we seem to be doing deals with Australia and a number of Asian countries.

I would guess the Haka story was actually released as a smoke screen by people who think the deal is good.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think it is an important story, why on earth would you try to get goods from 12,000 miles away when you can get them locally. Climate change is an issue and the extra carbon footprint created is not acceptable , and i note we seem to be doing deals with Australia and a number of Asian countries.

I would guess the Haka story was actually released as a smoke screen by people who think the deal is good.

Agree.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This will affect 99.99% of the people of Britain in no way whatsoever.
Obviously it’s another examples of how stupid Brexit is and a fine example of what thick people prioritise but in the big scheme of things? About as meaningful as the deal itself. Give a ****.

Edit…Although I’m guessing British farmers lose out? Of course they do. Nice one Johnson, you ****ing Johnson.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here