Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Doing Southampton away (Grimsby - FA Cup 5th round)

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
So, on Wednesday I’ll be heading to Southampton to attend Grimsby’s first appearance in the 5th round of the FA Cup since 1996, with a good 4,000 or so of my fellow fishy friends. Given the last time we played Southampton in any competition was 5 years before I was born (1978), it’s not an away day I’m remotely familiar with.

I’m working in London during the day, and staying near Waterloo that night. I expect to get into Southampton about 5:00pm ahead of the 7:15pm kick-off. Doesn’t allow a great deal of time to lubricate beforehand, but given you lot have presumably done your fair share of away games at St Mary’s I wondered if you had any words of advice for pre-match drinks in England’s 28th city.

I’ve been recommended the Dancing Man brewery, but it looks a bit of a nice spot for a few thousand northern monkeys.

See you at the Amex in the quarter final? ;)
Gutted you lot can't take the Harry Haddocks

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I played in a football tournament that weekend in Cleethorpes (on the Saturday, with the game being played on the Sunday”. There were Town fans, Brighton fans, Rotherham and a couple of others.

Must be someone on here who played in that.
Pretty sure I did - but can’t be 100% sure. But it rings a bell - @El Turi may know - or @Turkey ?

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Pretty sure I did - but can’t be 100% sure. But it rings a bell - @El Turi may know - or @Turkey ?
The tournament was called “Comfort Day”, given the presence of several Yorkshire teams and the fabled words uttered by so many local tourists from the region, “We only come fut day, and ended staying fut week” (read in the best Yorkshire accent you can summon).

I’m seeing an old mate tomorrow who’ll have some photos I should think, I’ll see what I can find.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It’s a hell of a trek for most, and yet we’ve sold 4,000 tickets with several days to go. We won’t sell all 4,800 I wouldn’t have thought, but it’s not bad for a club based 250 miles north with average gates of 6,500.

We travel disproportionately well for a club of our size, in part due to the number of displaced fans all over the country. Perhaps a bizarre upside of a lack of employment opportunity in your home town.

For me, personally, it’s worked out well really. I’ve managed to tie it in with business in London which gets the wife’s back up much less than me leaving her and the kids over the weekend.

Not that I’ve actually told her I’m going to the match yet. We were out in the car a few hours ago in Leeds and passed the Southampton team bus, adorned with their big badge on the side. “Ooh, Town are playing them on Wednesday night”, I said, realising straight away I shouldn’t have said that. “Where is Southampton”, she said, Geography not her strong suit.

“Oh, somewhere near the Scottish border, I think”.
😂 enjoy the game. Was the South in Southampton not a clue 🤔😀

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Wait until you discover South Shields Football Club. :wink:

Have a good one @Poojah - perhaps this game has come a 2/3 weeks too late!
Yeah, those are my thoughts. I was hoping Jones could hang on long enough to become a victim of the Grimsby reaper, but he always looked like he would talk himself out of a job, and so it proved.

I know little of Selles, but that was an impressive result last week (regardless of Potter’s own struggles) and I can’t imagine he will want to lose his third game in management to “the likes of Grimsby”.

They’ve clearly got bigger games either side of our tie, but I’d imagine even their second string is going to be some considerable way above anything we can field. We got battered by Chelsea’s reserves in the League Cup just before Covid, and the gulf in ability was just mind blowing.

Still, you can’t come at games like this with standard logic. Logic tells you the PL team beats L2 a million times out of a million. But shocks do happen - Stevenage beat Villa at their gaff a few weeks ago. We’re just going to have to hold out for a miracle.

Getting to a quarter final would be absolutely massive for us, financially and symbolically. To the best of my knowledge, we haven’t got that far since 1939 when we went as far as the semis - a game which remains the record attendance at Old Trafford, some 84 years later.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Yeah, those are my thoughts. I was hoping Jones could hang on long enough to become a victim of the Grimsby reaper, but he always looked like he would talk himself out of a job, and so it proved.

I know little of Selles, but that was an impressive result last week (regardless of Potter’s own struggles) and I can’t imagine he will want to lose his third game in management to “the likes of Grimsby”.

They’ve clearly got bigger games either side of our tie, but I’d imagine even their second string is going to be some considerable way above anything we can field. We got battered by Chelsea’s reserves in the League Cup just before Covid, and the gulf in ability was just mind blowing.

Still, you can’t come at games like this with standard logic. Logic tells you the PL team beats L2 a million times out of a million. But shocks do happen - Stevenage beat Villa at their gaff a few weeks ago. We’re just going to have to hold out for a miracle.

Getting to a quarter final would be absolutely massive for us, financially and symbolically. To the best of my knowledge, we haven’t got that far since 1939 when we went as far as the semis - a game which remains the record attendance at Old Trafford, some 84 years later.
Grimsby.. Cup shocks..

I’m still having nightmares about that Jean Paul Kalala goal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here